Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Providing she doesn't have to face a serious injury (touching wood), I believe, Maria will be a world #1 someday. I can't say how long she will be and I don't mean she will dominate the tour but she'll get the rank.

I believe it because she's the race of the very fighters like are Serena and Henin or was Hingis, Venus or Capriati. Technique has nothing to do with that, these players I mentionned all have technical weaknesses that should make them vulnerable but it's all in the guts.

Maria's like the contrary of Mauresmo : Amelie is surely the most complete player as far as technical skills and variety are concerned but she doesn't have enough of killer instinct, she's not in control of her emotions (would say the same about Hantuchova : very complete, elegant technique but poor mental). While Maria has a unidimensionnal game she doesn't move that well, her forehand is far from academic and she comes to the net once a year but she WANTS to win (she "badly" wants it she said herself) and you can see that on her face when she plays. Nothing can disturb her focus on victory. That's the key to be a very top player.

And the fist-pumping thing which seems to bother a lot of people here is part of it (see my post "Maria is Serena-ish", Srena says it in a funny way but it's also something important, part of their game though it's nothing technical or tactical).

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
quasimodo said:
Providing she doesn't have to face a serious injury (touching wood), I believe, Maria will be a world #1 someday. I can't say how long she will be and I don't mean she will dominate the tour but she'll get the rank.

I believe it because she's the race of the very fighters like are Serena and Henin or was Hingis, Venus or Capriati. Technique has nothing to do with that, these players I mentionned all have technical weaknesses that should make them vulnerable but it's all in the guts.

Maria's like the contrary of Mauresmo : Amelie is surely the most complete player as far as technical skills and variety are concerned but she doesn't have enough of killer instinct, she's not in control of her emotions (would say the same about Hantuchova : very complete, elegant technique but poor mental). While Maria has a unidimensionnal game she doesn't move that well, her forehand is far from academic and she comes to the net once a year but she WANTS to win (she "badly" wants it she said herself) and you can see that on her face when she plays. Nothing can disturb her focus on victory. That's the key to be a very top player.

And the fist-pumping thing which seems to bother a lot of people here is part of it (see my post "Maria is Serena-ish", Srena says it in a funny way but it's also something important, part of their game though it's nothing technical or tactical).
I agree with what you say, Quasimodo.

Maria seems to have that "champion quality" of the strong desire to win combined with self-belief (and of course a good game).

During the matches with Suggs and Davenport, she turned them both round from positions in which 90% of good players would have given up or had a bout of UEs. The Lindsay match you could see in the 2nd set where she went from "I'm losing" to "I can win this set" to "I will win this match". And then she did it, improving as she went on without another hiccup.

This is the sort of thing we see in the early careers of Serena, Justine and Hingis. I don't know if this means that she'll dominate like those players. There are some with good prospects who fall by the wayside <cough> Jelena <cough>. But I think there will already be a fair amount of nervousness about playing Masha developing in much of the tour.

It will be very good for the tour if Maria builds on her potential.

So I think Masha definately has a slam win in her (hopefully many)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc said:
So I think Masha definately has a slam win in her (hopefully many)
Of course she had :bounce: . That was indeed a big win and one of the most pleasant GS final I've watched. I just regret the score happenned to be one-sided.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Yeah...she is competitive for sure and has a champion´s mentality.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
What is interesting to me is that how much improvement she can adjust and amke during the match. She did remind me of Serena, not technically, but the mental attitude.

What will be itneresting now is that whether she will be tempted away from the multi million contract and start losing her desire to win. But as long as she still has it, I am sure she will do well. Not dominate, but go far in many tournaments

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Some corrections in the originators post. First, Maria moves very well and is only going to get better in that department. Her Forehand is a HUGE weapon and if anything her backhand needs more improvement.

I like her serve because of the variety and that too is only going to get stronger. She definitely has great anticipation and court sense. She does not volley too bad but again, she is 17. She has nothing but time.

Lastly, and one thing I definitely agree on, is she is mentally powerful on court compared to most of the young women her age.

If Maria is destined to be number one, it's that mental toughness that is going to make her one of the best of the game.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wongqks said:
What is interesting to me is that how much improvement she can adjust and amke during the match. She did remind me of Serena, not technically, but the mental attitude.

What will be itneresting now is that whether she will be tempted away from the multi million contract and start losing her desire to win. But as long as she still has it, I am sure she will do well. Not dominate, but go far in many tournaments
I sincerely hope she really thinks what she said about not being on the tour for the money but because she badly wants to win.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jakeev said:
Some corrections in the originators post. First, Maria moves very well and is only going to get better in that department. Her Forehand is a HUGE weapon and if anything her backhand needs more improvement.

I like her serve because of the variety and that too is only going to get stronger. She definitely has great anticipation and court sense. She does not volley too bad but again, she is 17. She has nothing but time.

Lastly, and one thing I definitely agree on, is she is mentally powerful on court compared to most of the young women her age.

If Maria is destined to be number one, it's that mental toughness that is going to make her one of the best of the game.
Okay, Maria moves well for a 6'1 tall girl but she's very far from thelikes of Henin, Clijsters, Myskina or Mauresmo.

The forehand is a weapon for sure (anyway I wouldn't say "HUGE"), I just said the movement was not very academic. It's a Sampras-like movement but Sampras had a lot of power on this shot, MaSha's forehand is not that powerful compared to Serena's or Amelie's.

The backhand is quite a good one. Perhaps might be improved on the "down the line" side but the backhand's her best shot.

It will be great if as she matures, she develops some serve and volley skills or at least more presence to the net.

The risk for her is to do like Martina who, having won some great titles very young, never changed her system and never developped some variety. Now, all the big babes know what to expect when they'll face Sharapova so you can bet they will be prepared to undergo her big shots.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
quasimodo said:
She pumps her fist on "every" point she wins... :)
I guessed it is kinda annoying for the opponent...
Maybe she should lessen that a bit... if possible... ;) :p

I just hoped she doesn't burn out too quickly ....and I hoped her relationship with her father won't end up like jelena and her dad.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bee said:
She pumps her fist on "every" point she wins... :)
I guessed it is kinda annoying for the opponent...
Maybe she should lessen that a bit... if possible... ;) :p

I just hoped she doesn't burn out too quickly ....and I hoped her relationship with her father won't end up like jelena and her dad.
Lol she even pointed her fist to serena in that final after a tough point. But it seems she did lessen it during the match.

I thought the same thing concerning the relationships with her Dad. If he was wise he would gradually le her fly by her own wings now.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
That´s a good point....I´m afraid that Maria´s dad might just go a bit too Damir on us with Maria...his happiness after the match and the way he wouldn´t let go off Maria....hmmm...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Well, before the first million everybody is hungry. Let's see if she stays hungry after a few millions. She does have the defensive and offensive talents to get there, in addition to youth, height, body structure, strength, and superb coaching.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a feeling that it will take a while before her next top 5 or 10 casualty. Most likely, she will thrive on players she can intimidate. Her GS win will do wonders to her self-confidence but imo, her game has weaknesses that other players, especially the 'smarter' ones can exploit.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I think Marias forehand is bigger than Amelies.

The few things she can really impove on is movment and coming into the net.She could be a very good lall round player.She has the skills she just needs to harnes them.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
quasimodo said:
Okay, Maria moves well for a 6'1 tall girl but she's very far from thelikes of Henin, Clijsters, Myskina or Mauresmo.

The forehand is a weapon for sure (anyway I wouldn't say "HUGE"), I just said the movement was not very academic. It's a Sampras-like movement but Sampras had a lot of power on this shot, MaSha's forehand is not that powerful compared to Serena's or Amelie's.

The backhand is quite a good one. Perhaps might be improved on the "down the line" side but the backhand's her best shot.

It will be great if as she matures, she develops some serve and volley skills or at least more presence to the net.

The risk for her is to do like Martina who, having won some great titles very young, never changed her system and never developped some variety. Now, all the big babes know what to expect when they'll face Sharapova so you can bet they will be prepared to undergo her big shots.
well Masha does have a huge forehand, its bigger than amelies, and its as big as Serena and Lindsay's, she is not the best at the net, but she has shown she has good volley technique from what i've seen. Even if the top players know what to expect, if Maria is playing like she has been, it will be top to beat her. Sorta like even though kim and justine play the williams all the time and know their game, they still lose to them because the sisters are too good

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Masha's forehand is plenty powerful - as her opponents will no doubt testify - it flashes across the court and has been so accurate. She's improved her serve by a good 10 MPH in the past six months, and is talking of building it further. The serve is already a devastating weapon and caused Lindsay and Serena a loud of problems. She's also a good returner, and finds a way to read and attack the serve - which she again proved in the Serena and Lindsay matches. You can "prepare" for big shots as much as you like, but when a 100 mph ball lands right on the line with some weight and angle behind it, you are in deep trouble in any point.

But her attitude is what I think will bring the wins. She doesn't seem to play the occasion or the opponent, so much as the individual point. And she wants to find a way to win each point. In this she is like Graf and the Williamses. She really wants to win, and I hope that won't be blunted for a long time to come.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Her forehand is definitely a weakness. It is powerful, as is her backhand, but its not technically sound and can break down, as was shown in the match against Ai. Her technique on her forehand could cause some problems in the future, its very unconventional.

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,186 Posts
She's got the fire for a #1 now. She's euphoric. But tournies will come along where she'll try to find this feeling again. In these moments she has to put aside the Wimby-success and should again focus on every point ahead.

She's got the mental strength for a #1 but will she have the stability ? We'll see and I hope so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts