Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's funny that Sharapova has been heralded as the dawn of a new tennis age, and in particular, Russian tennis, when a month before Anastasia Myskina became the first Russian woman ever to win the French Open. She had a hard road, defeating Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati back-to-back, but that news has not been flooded in the media.

Why do you think? Is it partly due to the fact the Wimbledon is the Grandest of the Grand Slam, and Sharapova defeated Serena so handily in an admittedly better final?

It will be interesting to see the Russians girls fight it out during this hardcourt season. Myskina already has wins of Maria this year.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts
Nastya is still the Russian #1. And she's 2-0 against Sharapova. They'll play again.

Reactions: Tennis Fool

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
flavour of the week. next week they'll be interested in someone else. i love Masha but the hype is reaching sickening point.

Myskina is still the most accomplished Russian :worship:

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
I think part of it is it being Wimbledon, but a big part of it is that Nastya is just nowhere near as marketable / hyped by the media as Masha is, which is sad, I guess.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goldenlox said:
Nastya is still the Russian #1.
Really? You wouldn't know that from the media. I don't even remember AM being in the media.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cellophane said:
I think part of it is it being Wimbledon, but a big part of it is that Nastya is just nowhere near as marketable / hyped by the media as Masha is, which is sad, I guess.
Well AM may not be blonde, but she seems more apt to playing the sex symbol...(naked on a horse, etc).

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Well AM may not be blonde, but she seems more apt to playing the sex symbol...(naked on a horse, etc).
Thoes pics are kind of old now, though, right? I dunno. I guess Nastya doesn't fit the stereotype that the media might love : the long-legged Russian blonde. In other words, she is not Anna. :rolleyes: Plus, she isn't a 'teenage sensation' :rolleyes: , doesn't have a near-native command of English and doesn't play the 'big babe' game. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think it's also because Maria's game is more offensive, so the perception is that opponents self-destructed for Nastya whereas (at least in my opinion) many of their errors were forced by Nastya's play.

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
saki said:
I think it's also because Maria's game is more offensive, so the perception is that opponents self-destructed for Nastya whereas (at least in my opinion) many of their errors were forced by Nastya's play.
Yes, the perception could be that Nastya won, because the other players were crap, but Masha won because *she* played great as opposed to her opponents being crap.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts
Myskina gave up only 14 games from the quarterfinal on. But she lost in the third round at Wimbledon.
If Sharapova loses early in New York, the media will look at who's still playing.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
many reasons:

1) Maria is a lot more attractive
2) Sharapova's win at wimby is seen as a good one, the beat the defending champion. Myskina's win at RG is seem more as a default win, she did beat Venus and Capriati, but off form Venus and Capriati and a nervous serve-less Elena.

3) Myskina cold reaction after winning was unsettling

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
SJW said:
flavour of the week. next week they'll be interested in someone else. i love Masha but the hype is reaching sickening point.

Myskina is still the most accomplished Russian :worship:
I agree with that.

I was thinkg aobut that just a couple of hours ago how Myskina was the first Russian to win a Slam, but the way the media is acting, you would have thought Maria was and that's not right. She is also being credited with being a breath of fresh air to women's tennis (as if the Williamses, the Belgians and Myskina are stale air), which doesn't make sense as just won her first Slam and her fourth titles overall. The last time the media made a big deal over teenagers (Capriati, Hingis, Kournikova), their careers went downhill from there, so we will have to see what happens this summer.

·
Banned
723 Posts
could that be that a lot think myskina will not win another slam?:)

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Rory81 said:
It's always better when a teenager wins.
Venus was 20 when she won her first GS and I'll argue she got just as much or more press than when her sister won her first GS at 17

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
cellophane said:
Thoes pics are kind of old now, though, right? I dunno. I guess Nastya doesn't fit the stereotype that the media might love : the long-legged Russian blonde. In other words, she is not Anna. :rolleyes: Plus, she isn't a 'teenage sensation' :rolleyes: , doesn't have a near-native command of English and doesn't play the 'big babe' game. Just my two cents.
Exactly. Nastya isn't American paragon of beauty and USA can't take merit to themself for her success

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think Myskina is overlooked, for many of the same reasons Henin seems to be, despite both of their successes on court.

Both of them fly in under the radar of most people; they both don't have much of a physical presence; that combined with the perception that both of them don't seem all that extroverted to begin with --- not that you have to be mind you to be noticed --- you can kind of understand the lack of interest from the media. :shrug:

People always say that the WTA is all about the players, their personalities, their images; in many ways, it actually seems to be true. Myskina and Henin can always be counted on to give 100% on the court; they're both consistent, and have enviable work ethics; they go about their business and get the job done, and the results show that. But, they lack the flare or allure of more "attractive" (physically and personality-wise) top, and upcoming players. :(

As a fan of tennis in general --- and not just a single player --- I can respect them for their ability and success. But for many fans of tennis, they WANT that "extra something" about a player in order to like them. And in the case of the media, they NEED that. ;)

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I think it's quite 'sad'.
I hope she doesn't mind.
Maria defeated Serena
Nastya defeated Venus (who played an excellent clayseason uptill then)
Maria defeated Linzi
Nastya beated Capriati

Nastya has a tier I, Maria doesn't.

one word: MEDIA.
That is just what it is IMHO. I mean, even the Belgians seem to be forgotten.
It is maria who is the brave tall girl who broke the WSdomination...
Some people forget very very fast apparently...

Myskina deserves more credit, but that is just the way it is ...

Reactions: Task and Crazy_Fool

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can think of a couple legitimate reasons for extra attention on Sharapova. Because Sharapova's several years younger that may suggest greater potential. Also, Sharapova went through Serena to win. However, I agree that this doesn't account for such a great difference in media attention and that most of it is due to BS like media perceptions of beauty.

After all, Myskina did beat two champs (Venus and Capriati) during her run and the Sharapova fever was huge before she even played Serena in the final. It's funny to hear on TV that Sharapova is proof that someone can break the hegemony of the Belgians and the Williams when Myskina already proved it.

Was the media coverage toward Sharapova rather than Myskina as imbalanced around the world or was it just a U.S. phenomenon?

Btw, I just joined this forum so I'd like to say hi to everyone. I doubt I'm as knowledgeable as most folks here, so hopefully I won't say a lot of stupid stuff. :)

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
the spoon said:
Btw, I just joined this forum so I'd like to say hi to everyone. I doubt I'm as knowledgeable as most folks here, so hopefully I won't say a lot of stupid stuff. :)
oh, don't you worry about that ;)
You'll :eek: sometimes at some opinions of more 'knowledgeable' people ;)

Yeah, it is maybe the case that the story is liked so much by the Americans press :shrug:
Most articles that are posted are american, so that might give a 'wrong impression'.
Still, indeed, strange they name HER exclusively to have broken the hegemony of the WS and the Belgians, let alone the WS's ... :shrug:
Life isn't fair . Davai Myskina ;)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts