Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serena clinched it for them, yet Venus still played the dead singles and the Williams sisters are playing the doubles - I bet Alexandra and Meghann are wondering why they bothered to turn up.

Seems a bit unfair of Billie Jean.

Reactions: Keith

·
Veelieve!!!
32,533 Posts
I was hoping that Meghan and Alex would play the doubles, but who knows--- I'm selfish, Venus needs to be on a plane to Poland UGH!! :fiery: :mad: Anyway, she apparently wants to win at any cost... Then again, there are those who would criticize her regardless of what she did.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You think King is stupid like you do. USA lost last
year when Venus and Serena didn't play.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My criticism isn't at putting the Williams on the team - I am talking about the dead rubbers after the USA had won 3:0.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
you don't get what Mark meant

the tie is over at 3-0
doesn't matter if Minnie Mouse played the last singles and partnered Goofy in doubles (its meaningless)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be cool, TBE!

Let's petition Billie Jean to add Goofy and Minnie Mouse to the USA team for the Fed Cup QFs!!!

:)

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
It really makes no logitically sense.. I mean like BEgg said, it was a done deal. They went out there for pretty much nothing, well I mean I guess its a nice feeling to be part of the Fed Team, but one would think playing would make it even more of an experience, thats just common sense... I would definiltey be interested in hearing the rationale on that choice.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Poor Alexandra and Meghann :sad: I wouldnt blame them if they didnt play next year..

·
Banned
845 Posts
You guys have no idea what the plan was going into this Fed Cup and I am sure whatever the plan was the whole team agreed. So do not pass judgement.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
here's hoping the entiire team supported this decision...:eek:

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
imaging if Jennifer was on the bench for this tie :eek:
then we could have seen more fireworks ;)

Reactions: Rtael

·
Registered
562 Posts
u also have to remember that fans are paying big bucks for seats to see venus and serena play matches. so maybe they did it for the fans. i mean that is what sports is about right? besides last minute decisions usually cause boos and stuff.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
... like they had any choice :eek:.

I feel sorry for Alexandra and Meghann. Not that it's Venus or Serena's fault that they're obviously the better choice.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Ok well im not proclaiming to be BJK, but if I were, my plan would have been to win and have the US advance to the next round, and sure, if I used the sisters for that then fantastic. But once I got to the point where we advanced, I wouldnt have cared WHO played the subsequent matches, because my job would have been to just get us advanced.. I know what you mean, but I have a hard time thinking they sat around before they left to the Cup and BJK said something to Meghan and Alex like 'Dont even plan on playing because we're using the sisters all the way.' How demoralizing would that have been to those two? Again, I'd have a hard time with that plan..

·
Registered
562 Posts
i really doubt that these decisions are demoralizing. if your team wins, your team wins. its a team effort. do u think fans wanna see meghan play daja or whoever or dou think they wanna see Venus and serena crush these opponents just as teh programs has listed. what about those who would be mad they didntget to see venus or serena as they hoped.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I think they should have played the doubles.

But saying that though when the USA won in 1999 the used venus and lindsay for singles and serens for doubles and Monica:eek: was left sitting!

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I guess what Im saying is having the sisters take the first three, so the USA advances was absolutey the right decison... No question about it. But I still cant see why she wouldnt have let Alex/Meghan play a match after they had clearly advanced. Sure, people love to see the sisters, and they had 3 oppertunites to do so. Sometimes you have to put peoples feelings before money and let them go out and play, regardless of what the public may want... They went out there out of respect for the USA, show them some respect and let them play ONCE its a done deal.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts