Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
26,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual suspects are into the semis, with little or no trouble. Where are the young players who were supposed to step it up here ? Talk about lack of depth.

Not that this is something new. It has been more or less the same in the other Grand Slams this year, except one huge difference: in those we had two more quality players in the field.
With Serena and Venus missing, the only hope that this might still become a good event were fresh faces advancing far. This didn't happen = crap tournament. :mad:

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
i think sharapova was the only youngster expected to step it up and challenge the top players. lina k may have had a little expectation due to her win over kim and reaching that tier 1 final. but i don't think very many were expected to step up. kuznetsova had given kim a hard time last year but got easily beaten this year before the open so she wasn't expected to go far and zvonareva was expected to get knocked out by kim but fell short by a round. bovina who isn't really that young was expected to do quite well and so was dementieva but those 2 players aren't really young.

of course many young players may have been expected to of step it up before the draw was announced but once the draw was announced most of that expectation imo would have stopped.

but it is dissapointing about sharapova and lina k especially lina k mainly because she lost first round when she had a few matches ahead of her that she should have trounced her opponents. sharapova i can understand her loss and take it because she needs to learn how to play players like loit, but next time i will not be happy if she loses.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Don't see the point about from now on - if the 4 semi finalists are fit we should see at least one competitive semi and, assuming FO 03 does not repeat, a final with no name pre-engraved on the trophy.
Agree with the main point though. Up to now there is something slightly disapointing going on. Daniela, Jelena, and Amelie are still off their games. The newcomers to the top 20 and the old timers returning to the top 10 both fell away and the talent store in the rankings up to 40 and the high fliers of the future like Sharapova made little progress (sometimes just because of their draws). Saurez and Schiavone made some advances and there were some new names adding to the list of people who might make a run at some time (Safina, Camerin and Kirilenko being 3) and that was about it (unless the rankings movements prove more interesting than I assume they will) Its as if the list of possibles for a great career gets ever longer, the bottom half of the top 10 and the 11-20 spots look very attainable and no one quite gets it together to make a run.

·
Registered
640 Posts
On paper, the womens' draw had a lot of potential. There have been a few see-saw matches and a little drama. But, by and large, I can't recall one competitive match in this tournament. I know there are a lot of talented women in professional tennis. But, why aren't they fighting for a place at the top?!? Maybe I'll see some fight in the semis. I sure hope so.

I must say that after the ordeal that Myskina and Schiavone had to endure, they gave their all.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
jmp said:
so.

I must say that after the ordeal that Myskina and Schiavone had to endure, they gave their all.
Second that. 3 days of hastle and then 2 matches in one day instead of 1 in 2 days.

Francesca v Ai was an exciting match if you like suspense and multiple break points and forgive errors. Its timescale made it fall off the radar.

Mary Pierce also deserves praise too - great fight back. Missed her - she adds greatly to the tour.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
GoDominique said:
The usual suspects are into the semis, with little or no trouble. Where are the young players who were supposed to step it up here ? Talk about lack of depth.

Not that this is something new. It has been more or less the same in the other Grand Slams this year, except one huge difference: in those we had two more quality players in the field.
With Serena and Venus missing, the only hope that this might still become a good event were fresh faces advancing far. This didn't happen = crap tournament. :mad:
I thought Miss Maria was gonna make some noise (kee-kee) but that'll have to wait til next year. ;) But u know what if it was Miss Momo vs. Miss Paola and Miss Francesca vs. Miss Nastya folk would be like WTF? So u can't win any way u look at it. :(

·
26,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't get me wrong: The 4 players who are in the semis now DESERVE it, because they were the best throughout the tournament. But that is what's quite disappoiting. OK, Kim and Justine were always going to be in semis, but Lindsay ? As much as I like her, she's injured and not playing her best tennis. But she is still unbeatable ? And Jen isn't all that great either. Take Emilie Loit for example: she SHOULD have beaten Jen but she threw it away. In the 3rd set, when she should have stepped it up, she went to pieces. Same for Petrova against Lindsay.

It has just been a WEAK competition.

·
Banned
3,308 Posts
Venus and Serena's presence wouldn't have made it any better imho. Actually I think had they played, the lack of depth in women's tennis would have show up even more obviously. With the sisters playing, neither Schiavone nor Suarez may not of reached the quarters. It's wrong to expect a drama in women's tennis until the semis. Venus and Mauresmo may of played a very comepeitive entertaining match last year and now you Williams fans are claiming Kim's bitch slapping Ammeli was damn boring. If Venus were a superior player to Kim like you always say, wouldn't it have been even more one sided if Amelie had faced Venus instead of Kim? What a contradction!!
I just wanna say regardless of the sisters' presence, we should not have expected many competitive matches in the early rounds in the first place.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
The semis and final are just three out of 127 main draw matches. So by saying it was a crap tournament, you've just dismissed 124 tennis matches. Well I watched a few of those 124 and I saw enough good tennis to make the tournament worthwhile for me. If the only thing you care about is who ends up in the final then I pity you greatly.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
disposablehero said:
Chances are, the reason Amelie or Anastasia are not in the Semifinals right now is that they did not have the "Good Fortune" to land in Venus' Quarter.
The reason that Amelie and Anastasia are not in the semis is because they are not good enough. Not only are they below Serena and Venus's level, they are below the Kim and Justine level. Kim and Justine have raised their game this year and Amelie has not. It's great to get to the quarters/semis of Slams but when will she step up and go further and really challenge the top? She is missing something. Myskina is just not on the same level as the top 4 and has nothing to hurt them and that's why she is not in the semis.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
gogomaggie said:
Venus and Mauresmo may of played a very comepeitive entertaining match last year and now you Williams fans are claiming Kim's bitch slapping Ammeli was damn boring. If Venus were a superior player to Kim like you always say, wouldn't it have been even more one sided if Amelie had faced Venus instead of Kim? What a contradction!!
I just wanna say regardless of the sisters' presence, we should not have expected many competitive matches in the early rounds in the first place.
Amelie has been injured most of this year and has barely gotten rhythm on her game. I expected Kim to win but tougher. In the second half of last year Amelie was handling capriati and playing Venus tough. Capriati wasn't even in a slump then. Amelie's game has dropped but if she stays healthy she will rise again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.