Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Wimbledon, they usually manage to finish more matches on a rainy day since the moment it stops raining, the covers come off and players can get on court right away. At the Open, they still need to dry the courts first, which takes a while. By the time they've stopped drying the courts, it's raining again.

I can understand that getting a roof isn't a simple solution, but what's wrong with covers?

It seems Martina agrees with me:

Unlike at Wimbledon, there are no tarps or tents for the courts when it rains.

``We've been talking about covers since the '80s,'' Martina Navratilova said. ``Yesterday they spent more time drying the courts than it rained. When are they going to learn? We have no say on it. Yesterday, it was two hours of play, six hours of drying. Fifteen minutes is enough after a drizzle.''

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
great suggestion and I believe the officials need more extra covers to hide their faces.:yawn:

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
The USTA officials are way to busy counting cash to take the time to come up with a soultion as simple and effective as to at least put up covers over the courts when the rain arrives. :)

·
Premium Member
172,290 Posts
Wimbledon has covers cos it would be rather silly trying to dry the grass with towels ;)

Here's why they don't have covers:
Tournament Ref Brian Earley last year said "they take up space and look bad on side of the court" :rolleyes:

they are looking to change that policy

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
TheBoiledEgg said:
Tournament Ref Brian Earley last year said "they take up space and look bad on side of the court" :rolleyes:
or rather: "they take up space which means there's less space for advertising." We don't want the covers to cover half of the ads on the side, now do we? ;)

They could have ads on the covers itself though.

·
Premium Member
172,290 Posts
they could put Ad's on the covers ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Wimbledon has covers cos it would be rather silly trying to dry the grass with towels ;)

they are looking to change that policy
what a silly excuse.:eek: Who does look ugly right now Mr. Earley?:yawn:

:haha:mad:TBE re grass being dried with towels.:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think they should get on the phone to the wimbledon officials and get some advice about handling the rain :) i mean after all they are the experts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
its ridiculous they don't have tarps. ridiculous. it was hilarious watching the grounds crew getting on their hands and knees and HAND WIPING ashe court. I was like, do you do windowS? maybe you could come to my house and wash my kitchen floor next???

I think it has never quite rained THIS much during the open.. but clearly a TARP is a fairly cheap solution to getting at least the main courts ready quickly.

and so we wait...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.