Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't it unfair that qualifiers play on other grass courts and not at Wimbledon? At the other GS, this doesn't happen. I can understand if the concern was about the short amount of time the grass wears out, but this does not give the same "feel" for the players if they reach maindraw I guess.

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
45,602 Posts
I think roehampton's grass is the same as in wimbly

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
When you think of the dozens of qualifying matches in mens singles, women singles and all the doubles, the courts at Wimbledon would be in a bit of a mess by the end of the first week. That would be 3 weeks in a row of play on the same grass courts and it would not be good at all for the big matches at the end of the tournament. Grass is grass. It won't be that much different from the qualies to Wimbledon. And the players in Eastbourne and Rosmalen won't have a "feel" for the Wimbledon courts either this week, so I do not think it's really a big issue.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raquel said:
When you think of the dozens of qualifying matches in mens singles, women singles and all the doubles, the courts at Wimbledon would be in a bit of a mess by the end of the first week. That would be 3 weeks in a row of play on the same grass courts and it would not be good at all for the big matches at the end of the tournament. Grass is grass. It won't be that much different from the qualies to Wimbledon. And the players in Eastbourne and Rosmalen won't have a "feel" for the Wimbledon courts either this week, so I do not think it's really a big issue.
Well at least the top players get to practice on the Wimbledon grass, don't they?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
bis2806 said:
Well at least the top players get to practice on the Wimbledon grass, don't they?
I don't think they get to practice on the actual courts used for the tournament. There's a lot of practice courts for practice which the qualifiers can obviously use too for a few days before the event begins. Wimbledon qualies usually begin and end earlier so there's a couple days gap between qualifying and the actual 1R.

The basic answer is the courts would be a mess after about the second round with all of those matches on it and for a Grand Slam, you want the best possible conditions.

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
main draw players can practice at the practice courts used at the AELTC from the 17th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts