Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i play my matches and my opponent hits a 2nd serve i sometimes hit a dropshot off of it :confused:

i never see players on tour do this, why not?

·
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES
7,712 Posts
Very difficult to do off a serve that is of reasonable pace or depth and spin.
You need time to play the drop shot....it should be the final shot of the rally....After a serve your opponent is either on the baseline or just inside... They also have forward momentum after a serve, so even if surprised by the shot, they may be able to track it down.... so it is risky unless struck perfectly.

I saw Chris Evert do it a few times against other baseliners....notably Sabatini (who had a shocker of a second serve). Chris had one of the best drop-shots I have seen.

At mid range club level, against a serve that lands half way up the box, with no spin...then a drop shot will work a treat.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Another intresting question though: Why don't players dropshot second serves?

I saw Martina Hingis do it against Steffi Graf at Roland Garros 99.
I also saw Michael Chang do it once.

Seriously, if players practice a forehand dropshot serve from the baseline that drops just behind the net, I think it would be a lethal weapon plus it will have a great surprise effect, because the player on the other side of the net doesn't know whether to stand close to the baseline to expect a dropshot or stand behind the baseline to expect a kick serve.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
well said Bionic. also, if the server is fast on her/his feet, that drop shot becomes a short ball that they can put away.

club tennis and professional tennis are two completely different sports.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also, you can consider that after someone has hit a serve, their body weight and momentum is moving forward, so you'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard for them to get to a drop shot (which wouldn't be the best one anyway, for reasons already stated).

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think just because it's tricky but also because you couldn't do it too often without your opponent getting used to it. So, it'd only be worth maybe 3 free points a match at whichh point, it's probably not worth learning how to do it.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Taking the pace off to dropshot a serve would require a level of skill that nobody has, not even Federer or Justine.

It could be done with a really slow server, but even then it would be difficult, remember that the receiver is behind the baseline or just inside, dropshots are very difficult from that far back, never mind off a serve return.

Against quick players with good anticipation like Justine, Kim or Serena it would be suicidal.

I don't think it's a good tactic, I think they would lose more than they would win.

And remember, professional tennis is nothing like what you play in clubs or even regional tournaments, for a start, club players rarely serve properly. Most club player would have a lot of difficulty even trying to put the racquet on a professional player's serve.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Fingon said:
Taking the pace off to dropshot a serve would require a level of skill that nobody has, not even Federer or Justine.

It could be done with a really slow server, but even then it would be difficult, remember that the receiver is behind the baseline or just inside, dropshots are very difficult from that far back, never mind off a serve return.

Against quick players with good anticipation like Justine, Kim or Serena it would be suicidal.

I don't think it's a good tactic, I think they would lose more than they would win.

And remember, professional tennis is nothing like what you play in clubs or even regional tournaments, for a start, club players rarely serve properly. Most club player would have a lot of difficulty even trying to put the racquet on a professional player's serve.

Justine did it last year against Serena in the Wimby Semis. Caught Serena off guard and won the point.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,233 Posts
Nick Zimmer said:
when i play my matches and my opponent hits a 2nd serve i sometimes hit a dropshot off of it :confused:

i never see players on tour do this, why not?
:haha: And throw in a couple underhanded serves while you're at it :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts