Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everyone thing Martina is suffering tremendous grief???

Its such a huge exaggeration that the media has invented.

Sure Martina would have suffered some disappointed that day and probably cried later that night but people are forgetting so many things.

1.) She's lost Grand Slam Finals before, so she has suffered disappointment and has gotten over it and rebounded successfully before. She knows this isn't the last time she's gonna reach a Grand Slam final!

2.) She was already drawing positives in her speech straight after the match.

If you had told Martina beginning of January that she would win Sydney singles and doubles, reach the final of the Aus Open and win the doubles there she would have probably laughed! She was out for 4 months, her expectations were well and truly surpassed with her results on the Australian Circuit, she acknowledged this when she said "I don't know to be happy or sad after this match"

3.) Martina has never been one to get mentally down or dwell on failures, she has always moved on, look at her performances after 1st round loses at Wimbledon, they were more humilating for her than this!

4.) AND most importantly this Grand Slam loss was different to the others, it was played in totally extreme conditions! Court Temperature was above 38 degrees. Both players were extremely distressed, dehydrated and not able to mentally focus properly! This was obvious when Capriati yelled, "get the fucking Referee" No player, no matter how enraged they were would have done this to an umpire in a final, Capriati's brain was frizzling in the heat, she admitted afterwards that she couldn't even remember what she said and that parts of the match were a blur.

They are introducing a new ruling as a result as previously they weren't allowed to stop play for a final like than can with earlier round matches when the court temperature reaches a certain temperature.

Anyone that has played on a hardcourt in Melbourne when its 35 let alone 38 knows that it is obsurd! The strong UV in the sun that we have in Melbourne is the strongest in the world other than Antarctica, and it really heats up the courts and your head literally feels like its gonna explode! Martina knows she did the best she could, sure she knows she missed a few chances, but she also knows that she wasn't fully there mentally at those points. Reality was that she lost the match as she wasn't able to cope with the ridiculous conditions imposed on her. She didn't even want to play that 3rd set, she physically and mentally couldn't. I think Martina is far more upset over losing the French Open Final than this! She has already shown she is over it playing in Tokyo straight away and reaching the final with ease!

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
LOL, I think Martina is just fine, and she has a great chance to be holding up a trophy tomorrow! :)

I think her beau helped her get over the loss in one evening. :cool:

·
Banned
692 Posts
The Media does exaggerate it a bit. But hey thats there Job,

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,793 Posts
Grief is far too strong a word to descibe losing a tennis match. Nobody died to my knowledge, so why should anybody be grieving?

I doubt Martina is grieving. Disappointed, yes, but grieving...don't think so. If she is grieving then she's led a charmed life without any real tragedy.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I dont think she is.She went past her expectations.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martina is extremely happy :)

Hingis notched her 40th WTA Tour title and her first Tier I championship since the Kremlin Cup in Moscow in 2000. She is 14-1 this season after undergoing right ankle surgery last October.

"I didn't know how well I would play and I had some doubts if I was still good enough," Hingis said. "But this year with a win in Sydney and playing so well at the Australian Open and now winning in Tokyo my expectations are definitely very high. I couldn't set any goals for the rest of the year before these tournaments, but now I can, and they will be high goals."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts