Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's alarming the amount of times Dani has squandered what appear(ed) to be unassailable leads, her lack of a killer touch is costing her dear.
What's worse is that she's losing these sorts of games to players to whom she is considerably superior, such as Harkleroad, Asagowa and Schnyder.

Maybe Nigel is going wrong somewhere? I think Sears has done a decent job in developing Dani's game but for him to allow Dani to go astray in both her tennis and her physique is unbecoming of a good coach.
Dani clearly has the talent, but blowing big matches when she's expected to wrap up victory is a clear sign of diminishing confidence.

While some may argue confidence comes from within, a coach can play, or rather MUST play a big part in building his protege's confidence and self belief. From her results this season, it seems to me Sears is failing Daneila. Perhaps it's time for a change in coaching?

By the way, for the benefit of those who aren't native to Blighty, 'bottle' in this context is a reference to 'nerve', not a beverage container. :)

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
:yawn:

Been there, heard that...

What's next?

Nigel can't teach Daniela confidence, it's up her to find it within herself. Daniela's not only battling with defeats and opponents, she's battling it out with herself - my dad said that if he was her coach he'd keep on telling her that she is the best player in the world, she is the #1 player, she is the greatest ..etc... :shrug:
crazy old guy :cuckoo:
would it work tho? :scratch:

I think it would semi help the confident level.. try making her a bit ego-tistic... but if you dont have the results to back it up, it's useless...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
DAMN! I thought this thread was about the infamous WATER BOTTLE!!!! There I was getting all worked up for nothing...

..Joe

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
joegerardi said:
DAMN! I thought this thread was about the infamous WATER BOTTLE!!!! There I was getting all worked up for nothing...

..Joe
:awww: poor Joe!!! ...here, to cheer you up:

so you're not the only one tired of this subject? :scratch: :lol: :tape:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
so you're not the only one tired of this subject? :scratch: :lol: :tape:
No disrespect to Camren, but this has been discussed before and as far as I can see Daniela has not lost her bottle..... :lol:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Found this by Quasimodo on the GM board..

quasimodo said:
The more I see Daniela losing in early rounds, the more I believe she's got to find another coach. We have many examples of skilled players who had a great beginning and then had a slump for several months or even years, then they had a new coach and things were more or less fixed. For example Amelie Mauresmo and Andy Roddick had special relationships with their former coaches (Alexia Dechaume and Tarik Benhabiles) but at a certain time they became unable to go far in tournaments despite their qualities. Then they had new coaches and A-Rod is #1, Amelie isn't but she would be top 4 if she didn't have her injuries.

Daniela certainly needs to think about it, despite Nigel Sears is the coach who helped her reaching #5 ranking at the beginning of the year. There's just an amount of time where the relationship coach/player becomes mechanic, the player doesn't really listen to the coach anymore because it's just the same words said again and again. That's just that very human need for a change.

I'm convinced it's the only solution now, or unfortunately, she will become another Anna Kournikova, indeed.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Daniela's lost bottle...

Don't worry folks, I've found some more! :bounce: I think we can safely say now that Daniela has definately not lost her bottle... ;) :lol:

·
Banned
39 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
:yawn:

Been there, heard that...

What's next?

Nigel can't teach Daniela confidence, it's up her to find it within herself. Daniela's not only battling with defeats and opponents, she's battling it out with herself - my dad said that if he was her coach he'd keep on telling her that she is the best player in the world, she is the #1 player, she is the greatest ..etc... :shrug:
crazy old guy :cuckoo:
would it work tho? :scratch:

I think it would semi help the confident level.. try making her a bit ego-tistic... but if you dont have the results to back it up, it's useless...
I think you are wrong actually. Obviously Sears can't teach her confidencd but surely part of his job is to instill some sort of belief in her. Doing stuff like you say, telling her she can be the best and to forget about the past and move forward.

Maybe a clean break from Sears is what is needed. A change of coach can work wonders, just look at Roddick. Plus, by doing this she might feel as though is she making a fresh start and can forget about the ghosts of Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

But as the proof is obvious from these pix - she has definately not lost her bottle!:lol:

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Dani will NOT become the next Kournikova! :fiery:

The difference between Dani and Kounikova is that Dani does not want people to judge her on her looks and does not constantly pose in lads mags as a result.She has stated many times she would like to be judged by her tennis. Kounikova has marketed herself on her looks, and has done it of her own will and that is why her and Dani will always be different.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Between the banana pic and these, I'm rapidly concluding-- from a purely objective standpoint, of course ;)-- that the CP is suffering from a mass collective oral fixation.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can't believe you guys are on about the bottles/banana's again......can't you see she's doing it to make all us frustraited guys even more so!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Please stop it with the stupid water bottle thing!!! I don't get it! :scratch:
But I don't think it's anything 'clean' that's going on in your heads! :lol:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
JLDementieva said:
Please stop it with the stupid water bottle thing!!! I don't get it! :scratch:
But I don't think it's anything 'clean' that's going on in your heads! :lol:
It's nothing sinister Jessie! :angel: Camren suggested that Dani had lost her bottle - all these pictures prove that that definately is not the case. ;) :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts