Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's the only player ranked in the top 50 without a contract. She's got a shoe deal with Adidas but that's it. Any reason as to why this is...she's been on tour a long time, has a good reputation on and off the court, and is very quietly putting together her best season in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
She wasn't so hot the last couple of years, wasn't she playing $75K challengers like a year ago? She only recently got back to a decent ranking, maybe she lost her contract a couple of years ago and they want proven results before she gets another one.

Let's face it, Spring's first green is gold. A clothing company would rather back a Top 50 teen or up and comer. Amy isn't that.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Does the Martina Navratilova / Gabriela Sabatini marketability discussion enter into this one? Maybe not to those extremes, but let's face it, how many girls are going to flock to the nearest dress shop with credit card in hand after seeing Amy Frazier play in it?

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alfajeffster said:
Does the Martina Navratilova / Gabriela Sabatini marketability discussion enter into this one? Maybe not to those extremes, but let's face it, how many girls are going to flock to the nearest dress shop with credit card in hand after seeing Amy Frazier play in it?
I think to compare Amy with Navratilova is a bit extreme. Amy is an attractive woman off the court. Unless your name is Anna Kournikova, it's hard for anyone to look pretty when they're sweating and grunting with their face scrunched up as they smack a tennis ball.

And there are women who (at least in my opinion, I could be wrong) are less attractive than Amy, with less stellar career results and current rankings that still have clothing contracts. Magui Serna, Nicole Pratt, and Eleni Danilidou are examples of this.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:
I think to compare Amy with Navratilova is a bit extreme. Amy is an attractive woman off the court. Unless your name is Anna Kournikova, it's hard for anyone to look pretty when they're sweating and grunting with their face scrunched up as they smack a tennis ball.

And there are women who (at least in my opinion, I could be wrong) are less attractive than Amy, with less stellar career results and current rankings that still have clothing contracts. Magui Serna, Nicole Pratt, and Eleni Danilidou are examples of this.
But those broads don't come from tennis-saturated countries with loads of better looking stars. Magui, ok, she's got some other Spanish dames, but the other two, if a cloting company wants a Greek and Australian player, those dames get it. If they want an American, they'll shoot for the Venus/Serena/Lin-See/Jennifer group, if that goes bad, they got Meghan and Chanda, is that does bad, then they go superyoung like Harkelroad. Amy's not young and compared to loads of other American's she's not that popular.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:

Agreed, it was an extreme illustration, for I do love to see Amy smack the ball- espectially on the backhand side- it's one of the cleanest strikes of the ball out there- has been for years. You bring up an interesting point- name another less attractive and/or less stellar American player that has a clothing contract.

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alfajeffster said:
Agreed, it was an extreme illustration, for I do love to see Amy smack the ball- espectially on the backhand side- it's one of the cleanest strikes of the ball out there- has been for years. You bring up an interesting point- name another less attractive and/or less stellar American player that has a clothing contract.
Meghann Shaughnessy (Nike...less stellar but equal on the looks page)
Jill Craybas (Under Armour..less stellar and less attractive)
Laura Granville (Nike...less stellar and less attractive)
Marissa Irvin (Nike...less stellar but more attractive)
Alexandra Stevenson (Nike..less stellar and less attractive)
Melien Tu (Yonex...less stellar but more attractive)

There are other lower ranked Americans with contracts, but they're up and coming, so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt (Shenay Perry, Ashley Harkleroad, Carly Gullickson etc).

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:

There are other lower ranked Americans with contracts, but they're up and coming, so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt (Shenay Perry, Ashley Harkleroad, Carly Gullickson etc).
Marissa no longer has a Nike contract. She just wears their clothing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
Well, the true is that Amy is too hot for Nike, Addidas, and any other clothing company.:drool: When they make clothes for hot mamas, then we'll see amy with a contract :hearts:

·
6,694 Posts
...Alex is better looking than Amy, and although results wise she sucks, she's still better known, and therefore more 'stellar'...incidentally, Amy always reminds me of Melanie Molitor for some inexplicable reason... :)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
im sorry but laura is way better looking than amy

Reactions: Meesh

·
15,168 Posts
Lies, all lies :D

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:

I thought Shaughnessy wore Adidas:confused:

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Willow said:
...Alex is better looking than Amy, and although results wise she sucks, she's still better known, and therefore more 'stellar'...incidentally, Amy always reminds me of Melanie Molitor for some inexplicable reason... :)
It's the stick the finger in the electric socket and see just how frizzy wirey hair can really be syndrome. :lol: Could it be she and/or her management has never really sought after major contracts. Don't know about such things. I'm sure it's nice to have the endorsements, etc., but I'd just as soon talk about the tennis- which she's playing really well right now, but not doing anything different than she ever has- I think the boom-boom go for broke on almost every shot is the norm now, and she's better than most at that because she's always played that way, only she learned it with a much flatter ball than most, so it's finally paying dividends again. I like watching her play, because she's gritty. She came out firing on all cylinders against Venus this past weekend, and right away was up 3-0 in the first set, but couldn't keep that go for broke style of play up and Venus eventually passed her by with better serving and some pretty good retrieving- forcing the errors to go up on Amy's side.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I've been asking this for years.

To reiterate: Why doesn't Amy have a sponsor? :fiery:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
BigTennisFan said:
I've been asking this for years.

To reiterate: Why doesn't Amy have a sponsor? :fiery:
She's doing her small part to help save the world for future generations, so she gets her clothes from Goodwill.

Reactions: Meesh

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I also find her amazing to watch - on and off the court. She doesn't look or act like a pro tennis player, but she can really spank a tennis ball. If you saw her walking around at a mall you'd never guess she was a professional athlete. It doesn't exactly help her image that she covers herself in a white substance (sunblock?) during her matches. She looks like a walking zombie in that stuff. It's shocking how white she is. People do double-takes when they first see her on the court. However, if you watch her for a while, you grow to like her.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Amy is very attractive but as Shooter says in person she really looks pale as a ghost which doesn't make the clothes look that hot. Maybe that's why? Maybe she doesn't want to be beholding to one line and wishes to seek out her pastels from whoever she wants to? :shrug:

Maybe she'll get one for next year since she has been posting really steady results.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts