Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering -- I was struck by the fact that on the men's tour, generally speaking, the forehand is the big weapon. You look at Agassi, Ferrerro, Federer, Roddick, Moya or even going down the ranks, players like Younes, Paradorn.. they all have decent backhands but the basic strategy is to stay in the rally until they get a chance to hit their explosive forehands, preferably inside out so as to drill the weaker backhand side.

Whereas the top women are either pretty balanced or else prefer their backhand. You don't usually see them run around to hit their forehands. Venus certainly has a better backhand, and while they are pretty balanced, I would choose the backhand on Monica and Lindsay as their stronger side. Jennifer and Serena and Kim are probably a bit more explosive on their forehand side, but their backhands are more consistent.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
mishar said:
I was wondering -- I was struck by the fact that on the men's tour, generally speaking, the forehand is the big weapon. You look at Agassi, Ferrerro, Federer, Roddick, Moya or even going down the ranks, players like Younes, Paradorn.. they all have decent backhands but the basic strategy is to stay in the rally until they get a chance to hit their explosive forehands, preferably inside out so as to drill the weaker backhand side.

Whereas the top women are either pretty balanced or else prefer their backhand. You don't usually see them run around to hit their forehands. Venus certainly has a better backhand, and while they are pretty balanced, I would choose the backhand on Monica and Lindsay as their stronger side. Jennifer and Serena and Kim are probably a bit more explosive on their forehand side, but their backhands are more consistent.

Any thoughts?
The backhand is an easier shot to hit- really, it is! With the forehand, there are so many more chances for technique to break down, because you are swinging across the front of your body leading with your wrist, and with the backhand (even two-handed), you are leading with your elbow bent toward the direction of the swing. On the forehand, the wrist can break down, then the elbow, which is bent the opposite direction of swing, and then shoulder and trunk.

It's a matter of confidence in technique.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Theres a lot of WTA players who prefer their forehands too. I'd say Capriatis forehand is her better shot, most of the Russians have better forehands too. Also Steffi when she was playing.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting, Alfa. Though, I wonder. I would say most intermediate club players, man or woman, have a similar game style: the backhand is consistent, but the forehand is the "weapon." That's how virtually all the top men play, but you don't hear so much about that with the women, running around to get a chance to hit their forehands. Capriati and Clijsters, yes. Dementieva certainly plays this way, but I wouldn't say most of the Russians. Myskina's backhand is by far her best shot. Zvonereva is good off of both sides, but her backhand is better.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
mishar said:
That's interesting, Alfa. Though, I wonder. I would say most intermediate club players, man or woman, have a similar game style: the backhand is consistent, but the forehand is the "weapon." That's how virtually all the top men play, but you don't hear so much about that with the women, running around to get a chance to hit their forehands. Capriati and Clijsters, yes. Dementieva certainly plays this way, but I wouldn't say most of the Russians. Myskina's backhand is by far her best shot. Zvonereva is good off of both sides, but her backhand is better.
The only woman who can legitimately claim her backhand is a weapon is Justine Henin-Hardenne. She can hit winners with it from anywhere on the court. The rest are all two-handers who rely more on disguise and moving their opponent out of position first. You almost never see a two-hander hitting a winner on the run- it's by and large a steady consistent shot. Many girls aren't quick enough to be running around backhands to hit inside-out forehand winners. This was, and still is the territory of the great Steffi Graf.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
alfajeffster said:
The only woman who can legitimately claim her backhand is a weapon is Justine Henin-Hardenne. She can hit winners with it from anywhere on the court. The rest are all two-handers who rely more on disguise and moving their opponent out of position first. You almost never see a two-hander hitting a winner on the run- it's by and large a steady consistent shot. Many girls aren't quick enough to be running around backhands to hit inside-out forehand winners. This was, and still is the territory of the great Steffi Graf.
:eek: The only woman who can legitamately claim her backhand is a weapon is JHH!? HUH !I have to disagree.I would throw another one hander in there:Amelie Mauresmo.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think the forehand is easier to hit. I know for me, I prefer the forehand, I run around to hit forehands a lot of the time.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Serena, Justine, Kim, Jennifer, Lindsay, Dementieva, Rubin, are all more powerful off their forehand. There's many more I don't have the patience to list.

·
Registered
730 Posts
alfajeffster said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i disagree- you need to go watch a venus/justine match..There's only one dominant backhand hitting the winners in their matche's and it aint justine...Venus can't hit backhand winners on the run?? lol :lol:

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
villa said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i disagree- you need to go watch a venus/justine match..There's only one dominant backhand hitting the winners in their matche's and it aint justine...Venus can't hit backhand winners on the run?? lol :lol:
I don't believe I said Venus couldn't- and in fact she hits most of her shots on the run. She plays the same way James Blake does- great striker of the ball, but pretty much never runs in anticipation of where the ball will probably go 2-3 shots in advance (think Hingis). They just run after their opponent strikes the ball- VERY different. Consequently, you will see both of them hittin backhands off their back foot all the time in their matches.

Justine's backhand is a weapon. Venus and Amelie backhands are strengths, but not outright weapons. If you think about it from outside of the fan-favorite box, and look at the tennis objectively regardless of who's doing the shot production, I'm sure you'll agree. Maybe not, but hell, I tried!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't agree about Venus. She hits so many winners off her backhand. Very different from James, who has a pretty weak backhand (relatively)

I agree that many players have more explosive forehands, but their backhands are often as good, and they will rarely run around to hit their forehand, as the men often do.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I am not a fan of Venus or Justine, but Venus' backhand is clearly the best in the game. Justine's backhand isn't hit as hard, and is easily overpowered. It is pretty, but that's about it.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
You know it doesnt make sense, but then Im the same, I find my forehand is too wild, and my backhand never EVER misses.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
You know it doesnt make sense, but then Im the same, I find my forehand is too wild, and my backhand never EVER misses.
I'm the same as Dava! I MUCH PREFER my backhand. It is comfortable, predictable and consistent. I know that with my backhand, I have a safe shot that I can slice or hit flat and it will stay in and be deep. If the ball is coming down the middle, I always run around it so that I can hit the backhand. Also, with the backhand, I have a extra moment to really plan the shot and hit it where I like. My forehand is too inconsistent. Sometimes it's great, other times it's shit. But it's also the more explosive side, so I'll hit more winners with it because there are more put-away shots people generally hit with their forehands. But it doesn't mean that's their better side.

As for best backhand in the business...it's Venus Williams. Whenever opponents come up with a game plan to play her, it includes: attack her second serve and stay away from her backhand. Her backhand is feared. Justine's backhand is admired for its fluid grace, but it sure ain't feared the way Venus' backhand is!! :worship:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well I copied Serenas from a magazine article, and it worked, THANKS SERENA, before my backhand was nothing but a put, now its lethal.

The problem I have with the forehand I cant see the diffrence between my booming winners, and my shocking errors. I think cos I had shin splits I stopped moving around the ball. Im going to have to re-do my forehand again.

The other thing I never undestand is why people dont use the forehand drop shot. Its my favorite shot, especially when on the stretch, and people say they cant see it coming.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
DROP SHOT?!?! :eek:

I hate using that shot. It makes me feel like a cheater. I can't face my opponent after doing drop shots. I know it sounds stupid, but it just doesn't seem fair!!

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
mishar said:

Any thoughts?
Wait, I'll ask Meghann! :D

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
vs1 said:
DROP SHOT?!?! :eek:

I hate using that shot. It makes me feel like a cheater. I can't face my opponent after doing drop shots. I know it sounds stupid, but it just doesn't seem fair!!
What you dont get pleaseure, seeing the shock on thier faces, and then their desperate attempts to get up to the ball. I love it. My faveortie tennis memmory was when i hit one, and it came back over the net. But I had turned my back, thinking I had won, then I heard it bounce back over, and I thought they had hit it back!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
What you dont get pleaseure, seeing the shock on thier faces, and then their desperate attempts to get up to the ball. I love it. My faveortie tennis memmory was when i hit one, and it came back over the net. But I had turned my back, thinking I had won, then I heard it bounce back over, and I thought they had hit it back!
Great story!! :lol: Yeah, that's the prob with drop shots. When your opponent can get to it and hit a winner! But in general, it doesn't seem cool. I resort to it ONLY if I feel like I have no other choice. OR...if I am hitting with someone way out of my league and they are just banging the ball back with more and more pace. And to mix it up, I try to hit a drop shot. Sometimes it works beautifully. Othertimes, it fails miserably and then I just look like the fool I am! :rolleyes: :sad:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts