Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
good point. And it's not like it's helping out much the struggling players that lose in qualifying or early rounds. That's a tiny % of the prize money, they still earn very little. And if the increase is supposed to motivate top players more, I doubt it happens because they already earn so much they don't even know how much they get. They're probably more concerned about their sponsorships which are the real deal for them :silly: Or maybe the GSs are doing this competition, each raising the prize money every year until it gets out of control and the champion gets a former Soviet Republic as prize, or a continent, or a planet in the solar system, so then people can agree on which is the best slam and this crazyness can end:silly:

Reactions: go hingis

·
Registered
952 Posts
sadly this is how the world goes round. greed will always overcome generousity. money is too important to too many people.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I agree. They aren't even really helping the lower ranked players who find it hard to make ends meet. Instead, the rich get more rich. It's societies fault that athletes are being paid more and more. These cheap thrills have more consumer power than the real issues.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree with those above who have mentioned the lower ranked players. I believe that when prize money increases, a greater proportion of the increase should go to those who lose in lower rounds. That's the best way to create greater depth in the tour.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
I agree with those above who have mentioned the lower ranked players. I believe that when prize money increases, a greater proportion of the increase should go to those who lose in lower rounds. That's the best way to create greater depth in the tour.
Well, I believe that if the lower-ranked players want to make more money, they should play better tennis. ;)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Yes but to play better tennis, you need to travel to tournaments to face better players. That is expensive.
BOO comma HOO comma HOO! If it's that bad for them, then they should hang up their racquets and work for a living.

Reactions: The Kaz

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
BOO comma HOO comma HOO! If it's that bad for them, then they should hang up their racquets and work for a living.
well most of the times they DO have to hang up their rackets and work for a living because they can't afford to travel, pay coaches etc, so they do depend on this income from the early rounds. And it's not like they're crap, they just didn't get their break. Life on tour is great for the top pros, for everyone else it's not so good but you know nothing about that of course

Reactions: drake3781

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Yes but to play better tennis, you need to travel to tournaments to face better players. That is expensive.
Are you really surprised in a sport whose
origins catored originally to the elite
"upper class" of folks and in many
ways still do?

Many of the top elite players have and give to
various chairities and maybe the tennis establishments
simply leaves it up to the individual athletes as to what
they will do with the monies aside from their tennis expnses
and their personal life expenses.

I'm more surprised honestly that people
are still so surprised by this. Have you all
been living under a rock?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Why have any prize money then? - Just donate the lot ;)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
well most of the times they DO have to hang up their rackets and work for a living because they can't afford to travel, pay coaches etc, so they do depend on this income from the early rounds. And it's not like they're crap, they just didn't get their break. Life on tour is great for the top pros, for everyone else it's not so good but you know nothing about that of course
The top pros became top pros for one simple reason: THEY'RE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE. If Maria Sharapova had never cracked the top 100, would she be living the lifestyle she's living now? Of course not. The better players deserve to make more money.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Are you really surprised in a sport whose
origins catored originally to the elite
"upper class" of folks and in many
ways still do?

Many of the top elite players have and give to
various chairities and maybe the tennis establishments
simply leaves it up to the individual athletes as to what
they will do with the monies aside from their tennis expnses
and their personal life expenses.

I'm more surprised honestly that people
are still so surprised by this. Have you all
been living under a rock?

Oh for fucks sake.

Do you think its a good thing that tennis is such an elitist sport? And that finances often revent people from pursuing a career, which given time could be promising.

Go under your rock.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The top pros became top pros for one simple reason: THEY'RE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE. If Maria Sharapova had never cracked the top 100, would she be living the lifestyle she's living now? Of course not. The better players deserve to make more money.
How can you be so certain. If kids in the poorest countries had the opportunity to play tennis, be coached, had the money to travel, then things would be different.

Obviously the best players deserve to make more money than the lower ranked ones, but it shouldn't be as disproportionate as it is.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow, big surprise the two people attacking this valid are Americans :tape:

Reactions: timafi

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,492 Posts
The better players deserve more money, yes, because they win and do their job better. But that doesn't mean that the lower ranked players don't deserve more money. The gap is too far, and it's sad when people ranked 150th in the world at their profession are barely even able to make ends meet once they're through covering all the expenses needed to be a full-time touring pro.

Reactions: Martie

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i don't get it! Helping the poor and not getting the richer to be richer? This is Ridiculous!!!

:fiery:
You are really a sympathetic person:)
Also i think they can increase prize money for the low ranked players to improve their lives.
:wavey:

Reactions: drake3781

·
Registered
940 Posts
The better players deserve more money, yes, because they win and do their job better. But that doesn't mean that the lower ranked players don't deserve more money. The gap is too far, and it's sad when people ranked 150th in the world at their profession are barely even able to make ends meet once they're through covering all the expenses needed to be a full-time touring pro.
:yeah: Exactly.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Since when is being a full-time touring pro a right? If they want to make more money playing tennis, then they need to go farther in tournaments. Period.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts