Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand. I saw her match with Davenport and she moves very well. She got to a lot of Lindsay's shots and she positions herself in a good way to return them.

With the way some people were talking I thought she moved like Eleni or something. I think she's fast, and she seems no slower than any of the other Russians.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
She just guesses right most of the time....but she isn´t quick of the mark and she looks a bit clumsy too.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
She used to much more clumsy than what she is now...She's really improved her movement this yr.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
yeah... she is really not fast off the foot, like say dementieva, myskina, and kuznetsova (who even as big as she is, she moves very well)... she just has very good anticipation and guesses very well

one thing i was surprised in was how poorly hantuchova moved in their match against each other... based on that, it looked like maria could run circles around daniela

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Yes, she doesn't have that sprinters speed that goes from 0-60 mph
off the mark ala Sugiyama, Kimmy, Justine or any other tour
rabbit. Being shorter players they have to be like that way.
Maria is tall. She can be a step behind; but with an arm length
advantage in reach.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Yeah, Maria is just gangly like any young girl growing into her body. She's already 6' and probably will grow another inch or two. She'll get better with the movement. She may not be like Clijsters or Venus (who moves well for such a long limbed person) but hopefully she'll build her game like Lindsay where her movement will be augmented by her groundstrokes. Give her time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts