Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do Lindsay and Jennifer sound so european, more than Monica and Navratilova.......it's really troubling.......Jen came from Nyc and now lives in Florida, how could she suddenly develop a foreign accent. It's not like Madonna who lived most of the time in europe.......

Reactions: harloo

·
Registered
731 Posts
Jenny's parents are both European so possibly that might have influenced her accent somehow, don't know about Lindsay I thought she sounded quite American. I personally think Navratilova and Seles both still have a very mixed accent.

BTW Madonna has not lived most of her life in Europe, only since her Marriage to Guy Ritchie, and still she spends time in LA. I think she puts her British accent on a bit although she defin itely sounds American still to a British person like me.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
i dont think they sound european at all...

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
isnt davenport from cali? they have weird accents out there anyway...

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
its all in your head, mayyyne

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They speak as if English is not their first language, and this is not an insult but the pronounciation of some of their words seems like it's difficult and they can't handle english like it's their native tongue.

Listen to alex or Meghan and even Pierce who is not american, and they sound more american than the americans.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
mary pierce is as american as you can be. she lived there all her life maybe with exception of a few years when she was a teenager (and I am not even sure about that)

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
LMAO, they both sound American. they don't even remotely sound european. all americans sound american unless oyu have a different background and still have that accent. and basically those americans who have europena accents have lived in europe in their childhood. i have no clue what you're saying because both lindsay and jennifer sound extremely american to me :confused:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Lindsay and Jen are very American, Martina aint so bad anymore. Monica still has her Serbian accent though.

I noticed Dokic sounds very French now.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Lindsay and Jen are very American, Martina aint so bad anymore. Monica still has her Serbian accent though.

I noticed Dokic sounds very French now.
I'd say Monica's accent is 75% American. She sounds more American than Jen! She has the whiney drawl mastered. Also... She makes sense when she speaks these days.... you know... Jen.. you know um... sometimes...errr.... doesn't... you know....

No matter what they speak like I love 'em all.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Serena has sounded a little European in the past... or at least she tries to, bless the poor girl! It's not for her to realise that she sounds nothing like the nationalities she's trying to impersonate...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
jenny cudnt sound more american if she tried.shes got that american drawl down (no offence to any americans) and she always says y'no, like and i mean. she is 100% american..........with a hint of italian

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Both just sound like ordinary Americans to me!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I'm more into accents since I have one, but their sounds are not american.....if you listen to Lindsay and Jen, then listen to lets say Julia Roberts, you'd swear that the latter two were foreigners...

Even if u don't use Julia as an example since she is an actress, but Hilary Clinton is how an american should sound and it's not about the education background also. I don't know maybe I am a little more observant than most.

When Fowler spoke to Serena, she sound like an american with an urban drawl, Alex sounds Cali to the max while Chanda sounds like New Orleans should sound. Lindsay doesn't represent Cali and Jen doesn't represent ny or florida......

They sound like Martina Hingis sounds when she speaks. The point is why do they sound like that ......it may seem pointless, but as a foreigner I was curious, maybe my ears have betrayed me....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts