Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is noooo way venus is better.. I think its been like the past 5 meetings between the two of them that Serena has owned Venus. And don't gimme the reason that Venus isnt trying... because she is. Maybe like the first time Venus lost to Serena it was because she wasnt trying(because Venus was owning Serena for a while) but after twice in a row of getting beat.... then you know Venus was trying the last few times forsure.Venus is the 2nd best player on the tour i think... but the reason Serena is better than Venus is simple.... Shes more athletic. She is faster on the tennis court and stronger(look at her biceps). The only way for Venus to ever get past her sister is to somehow substantially improve her current game.. whether its better placement on her serves or just doing hella good serving and vollying against Serena... Until then...if it ever happens........ SERENA WILL DOMINATE!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea, I think Serena is better than Venus because of one MAJOR flaw in Venus' game. The girl doesnt utilize her reach at the net near enough. As big as that first serve is, she should follow it right in for an easy volley winner. At Wimby however, Venus was hurt pretty badly, but she knew she had to play. She tried very hard and took it to three sets. Buthaving an abdominal pain and running back and forth could make anyone play badly. Give her some credit, lil sis is just on a roll right now.The Queen will shine again.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Well, basically because it is hard to admit that you (or in this case your fave), isn't the best--especially when you are so close. I mean, Venus is no doubt in my mind top three/four player easy (and since her record vs. Belgians is solid enough, maybe a no 2, though not by much), but she is light years away from Serena. Here are the reasons:

1. Second Serve--Serena crushes good second serves w/ little mistakes. Venus' gets crushed by the Eva Drybergs of the world, and wins 10% of the points against Serena on a good day.

2. Net--Venus probably has the best net capability in the world (skill+reach=capability in my book;) ), but against Serena comes into net maybe 10 times. Yes it is hard when you have the ball flying at you so fast, but Venus can wallop the ball herself, and if she doesn't take a risk, she WILL lose 9/10 times.

3. Forehand--For some reason this isn't actually as bad against Serena as it is in the early rounds, but it could definately be better. It is kinda herky jerky IMHO, even on a good day.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
It's because many believe we have not seen the best from Venus yet, while the Serena doesn't seem she can improve all that much.

Nobody is denying that Serena is the better player NOW, but many, I included, believe that Venus' best game has yet to arrive.

GO VENUS!! :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Venus can play better... but not so much that she can beat Serena consistantly... she might win some against Serena.. but i dont think she will win even half of the future meetings between the two

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
i think Serena can get better......i love babygirl but who heard of a world #1 (yes clijsters who? :p) who couldnt hit a volley or overhead to save her life

yes Serena is better than Venus ;)

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
irma said:
when venus was better (result wise) they said serena is better. I guess they need to whine about something;)
Guess so, huh?! But Serena is better, isn´t she?! ;)

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
DunkMachine said:
Venus is better especially at Wimby. Because of the ab she was more focused on her shotmaking(to avoid straining it any further). When Venus is focussed like that, than Serena should better watch out.
Yep, that´s what could make their future matches interesting. Serena can dominate matches with her serving and Venus can dominate matches with her shotmaking and court coverage....

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Heeves23 said:
I still think even if Venus wasnt injured.. Serena still wouldve had her
Probably....but she would have had to pick her level very very up!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Why do I keep hearing that venus is better than serena?
To detract from her grand slam accomplishments, since 5 of the 6 she achieved at the expense of THE QUEEN.
Moreover, this is just another variation on two long-running themes:
1) Venus, altruistic mother hen of an older sister, is just too loving a soul to will herself to victory against her charge
a. Serena’s a spoiled, self-absorbed brat
2) Venus would never wear/say/do anything like THAT
a. Serena isn’t the classy one

Reactions: Mad-About-Venus
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.