Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we Had a discussion on this in French class and my frech teacher said the french like american movies more than their own that is so sad because french movies are the best and most american movies are trash. as far as music what is wrong with Celine Dion ,Helene Segara,Alizee, Yannick and other french and european artists it seems that europe wants to be america and not america at the same time. I am not saying all of europe but I kind of see why the law that supports playing more french music was put in. My friend in Denmark says there are no danish movies only american movies this is so sad because to me it is aloss of culture and of language and everything. No offense to the europeans I am only speaking based on what my french teacher said and i may be wrong what do you europeans think?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I don't think that that's true at all. Certainly not in England. Amongst the people that I know, there's a certain amount of resentment that so much culture is American.

Most of the books, music, films that I like are British although by no means all.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I am proud to be an european :D

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Me too i am proud of my heritage! I no a lot of people though who just follow america!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I think there's more hostility towards Americans than we realise in the UK. We're just too polite to say anything to their faces, and hostility I'd say has increased since Sept. 11th since Tony Blair has become America's puppet...

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
I'm very proud of our culture, heritage, etc.

Beige's posted a few topics re: American movies. We simply don't have the money to produce blockbusters, films with incredible special effects, etc. Our own low budget movies can't compete with those billion dollar productions.

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
It always seems that what makes the Americans is better..... but the great american reality is that they would wish to be European
If there is a country without culture thats usa...imo
Ask the history... ;)

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Anabel I agree complety with you!!!!!!!!
I'm tremendously proud of being European and I would not change my situation for anything in the world, thanks to being Spanish I can study one year in Belfast as Erasmus student :D
I think citizens of th Us when they want to meet culture they always travel to Europe, that means somthing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
No offense to the europeans I am only speaking based on what my french teacher said and i may be wrong what do you europeans think?
Interesting remarks selesfan 1.

I think it would be interesting that you ask your teacher from which study done by which organisation he has this piece of information :rolleyes: .

I could be replying only for my particular case, that would be completely different from what your teacher says, but I have no general study on this subject.

This US / French comparison reminds me somehow of a movie director. Nothing to do with the subject, but it could be interesting.

Have you heard of Jacques Tati (French movie director and actor in the 50s). His movies (style, topics) remind somehow of Charlie Chaplin's, but are French.

If you have the opportunity, watch his movies, like :
- Jour de fête (1949)
- Les vacances de M. Hulot (1953)
- Mon Oncle (1958 - Oscar for Best Foreign Movie, 1959)

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
Im proud to be European and Belgian in specific. I would not change my nationality in this lifetime!

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,156 Posts
i think it is specially a problem from the younger generation.
the most teens thinking all from the U.S is cool, and all from europe isn´t cool.

but i think europe is "still" more intellectual, but too much american influence isn´t good.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
anabel said:
It always seems that what makes the Americans is better..... but the great american reality is that they would wish to be European
If there is a country without culture thats usa...imo
Ask the history... ;)
Maybe Caucasion Americans but not any of the ethnic americans I know! Most people I know you couldn't pay them to take a trip to Europe. They rather spend their money and time elsewhere. The statement that Americans wish they could be Europeans is hilarious!!! You clearly don't know many americans and have never spent time over here. You also have no sense of history because then you would know there are a lot of cultures in america and a lot that are indiginous to america. Here's some hints for you about American Coulture African-American Culture, Southern Culture those two are created in the USA but everyone is welcome to enjoy!!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
what are you talking about?

that's not true!

We - Europens - are very proud of our culture etc. Or most of Europens are ....

say to your teacher he's wrong :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm french and I hate totally american films and stupid girls like Céline Dion, Alizée..etc..who ARE NOT artists. It's even a shame to prononce their names and the word artist in a same sentence.

I like European culture especially German, English and Spanish culture (maybe cause i know less the others). I also think there are very good american films and books which are unfortunately not Holywood style and which deserve to be more famous.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Agree with MirjanaLfan. Your teacher is talking bullshit. Most Europeans I know would rather die than say they preferred American 'culture' to European culture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts