Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Venus recent results are perplexing because she is doing so well in the WTA events recently. However, Venus played like crap at the Australian Open and that's sad. Venus even had a match point in her second round match and still lost. Why does Venus always play poorly in Australia? Yes Venus won the clay court event in Mexico so that's good. However, I think some people may be making too big a deal out of that result. Venus only seems to play well at Wimbledon and that's it. Even the US OPEN she hasn't won that event in eight years. Venus is a great champion but she is a bit too inconsistent. I kind of wish Venus would pull back a bit realize she doesn't have to hit the ball so hard and learn to be more patient.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts

·
Registered
22,126 Posts

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Look at the bright side. At least Venus sometimes wears her hair with bangs.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Both Serena and Venus are notoriously slow starters at times. Consequently, both are vunerable early in tournaments. Venus just ran into a red hot opponent and went down. Things would probably have been different if they met a round or two later.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I sometimes wonder if it's the weight of expectation but then I look at how well she deals with the expectation at Wimbledon and it negates my point.

I didn't see her match in Oz but I gather she was pretty fit and well prepared beforehand so it seems to me that it must have been in her head.

Or maybe she just underestimated her opponent.

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
She tensed up and became less agressive in the tight moments leading to her opponent then being more aggressive and Venus losing:(

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
Just goes to show..matches aren't won on paper.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Venus will win the Australian Open, before she retires. No doubt.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I think Venus recent results are perplexing because she is doing so well in the WTA events recently. However, Venus played like crap at the Australian Open and that's sad. Venus even had a match point in her second round match and still lost. Why does Venus always play poorly in Australia? Yes Venus won the clay court event in Mexico so that's good. However, I think some people may be making too big a deal out of that result. Venus only seems to play well at Wimbledon and that's it. Even the US OPEN she hasn't won that event in eight years. Venus is a great champion but she is a bit too inconsistent. I kind of wish Venus would pull back a bit realize she doesn't have to hit the ball so hard and learn to be more patient.
She just can't win with some of you:devil: She wins a tournament but we are told that we are making too much out of it, she loses a tournament and we should beat her to death for it. Why the hell shouldn't we celebrate the win? I for one thinks it a big deal that she won and I am not going to waste time still mourning the AO loss. Yes, she played terrible and lost a match that she should have won, but for petesake, let go and move on and enjoy the matches that she has won since then.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Well Venus actually did play well, and I know it's hard to believe but sometimes people can play better than her, which Suarez Navarro did in that match. Obvioulsy you didn't watch it, it was very high quality, the match of the year imo :eek:

·
Banned
3,568 Posts
I get really offended when people try to insinuate that racism isn't still an issue.. but then I remember that it's silly to get offended because the people who say that aren't educated :shrug: Even Barrack and Michelle Obama will tell you that it is still an issue.

·
Registered
27,920 Posts
Funny that. It was Vee's lack of agression in the final set that sealed her fate in Australia:(

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I get really offended when people try to insinuate that racism isn't still an issue.. but then I remember that it's silly to get offended because the people who say that aren't educated :shrug: Even Barrack and Michelle Obama will tell you that it is still an issue.
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but when somebody brings it up in a thread started by this OP, I have to admit I smirked...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts