Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what other players do affect how she plays? I am tired of hearing Serena talk about how poorly she played against Justine, Amelie, Maria, etc. Yes, she has made many errors in matches against these players. It's not as simple as that, though. What other players do affects Serena. Amelie and Justine mix up the pace and spin of the ball, and that prevents Serena from getting a real rhythem. Maria was pounding the ball deep today, and Serena was having a tough time handling a lot of the shots (didn't have good footing). Why can't people just acknowledge that Serena not playing well could actually be someone else forcing her out of her own comfort zone?

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Exactly. Playing at their best, those players can frustrate Serena because they can handle her power and either mix it up with their incredible range of options (Juju, Momo) or hit it back even harder and more precisely (as Masha did this once).

I suppose, in Serena's defence, she gets down on herself when she loses or almost does so, and is inclined to blame herself rather than think about how well her opponent played. That's not a bad attitude in a champion, I suppose, and I guess she does not realize that it can be taken as insulting the efforts of her opponents. I'm sure she doesn't mean it that way.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
jenglisbe said:
what other players do affect how she plays? I am tired of hearing Serena talk about how poorly she played against Justine, Amelie, Maria, etc. Yes, she has made many errors in matches against these players. It's not as simple as that, though. What other players do affects Serena. Amelie and Justine mix up the pace and spin of the ball, and that prevents Serena from getting a real rhythem. Maria was pounding the ball deep today, and Serena was having a tough time handling a lot of the shots (didn't have good footing). Why can't people just acknowledge that Serena not playing well could actually be someone else forcing her out of her own comfort zone?
OK, i admit that...so we just need a couple more Serena fans to accept and your point is dismissed! :)

·
Banned
100 Posts
its true, its the same with all champs tho...im sure steffie said the same thing when she was at her best, and so did Jen, and Martina certainly dissed everyone, even if she beat them 60 60...i think its there right to be able to say they didnt play there best, cause they are the best, period...when Marias the best...im sure she'll say the same thing...iknow i know Serena does it every time...it pisses me off too when someone works there asses to beat her, and what does serena say? no, not "she beat me cause she played better and deserved it" she says "i played bad, and i was an ametuer and i wouldnt have lost and shes just cant beat me if i was this n that"

but in the end...everyone does what serena does...shes just better at it than most.

·
49,001 Posts
Now, against someone like Amelie or Justine or Kim, I can accept a loss because I know that even at Serena's best, Amelie and Justine's awesome variety can confuse her and they can beat her. Kim can go toe to toe with Serena as far as speed goes and almost as much as power goes, so I can accept a loss from Kim.

The problem with today's loss is that, all credit to Maria, Maria has the same game that Serena has, just less imposing. Serena was not doing what she needed to do! Maria cannot out gun Serena, and theres now way she shoud have beaten Serena, 6-1, 6-4 no less!

Today, the better player won, no doubt. But we all know that if Serena played only 3/4 as well as she played Momo, she shoould have at least been more competitive out there.

And why is saying that Serena wasn't playing her best somehow lessening Maria's victory? Serena wasn't playing well at all, Sharapova is good, but if Serena can dictate Kim Clijsters and JHH and Amelie all on grass, then why could she not dictate Sharapova. Sorry, but Maria is NOT that good yet, although she damn sure is getting there.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Um, I could have sworn Serena gave Maria credit for her match today. Wow, the girl should never comment on her own game to save herself from criticism at all angles. I'm to the point where I seriously don't even care if she does comment - it's her right, it's her game, her perspective.

·
Banned
100 Posts
you know what, i dont at all mind that serena gets down on herself and in some ways she should...she sometimes plays too sloppy for her capabilities, and also she is considered #1 in many peoples minds, however theres some instances where she is beaten and goes from excuse to excuse, this irritates me the most, but i guess thats just the way she gets over her losses.

in the end, even if she doesnt ply her opponents with gracious remarks, it doesnt change the fact that shes lost.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
No offense, but Serena really did not play well today.:eek: And that is coming from me.:tape:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
NINAdiva said:
you know what, i dont at all mind that serena gets down on herself and in some ways she should...she sometimes plays too sloppy for her capabilities, and also she is considered #1 in many peoples minds, however theres some instances where she is beaten and goes from excuse to excuse, this irritates me the most, but i guess thats just the way she gets over her losses.

in the end, even if she doesnt ply her opponents with gracious remarks, it doesnt change the fact that shes lost.
Did people not watch the match? The ending ceremonies. Serena was beyond gracious. Wow, okay.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Im really not talking about marias match, i get to the point, so if i was you would have known, trust me. Machu, she was fine with maria, but again was she gonna say "oooh maria didnt win it, i lost it?" no that would have been career suicide for her, she would have been boed out of the stadium...ya wanna know why? cause its rude to do that (its also common sence that she didnt)-she instead choose to be nice and corgial with her, that was nice...but again weve had times where shes been anything but.

ta`

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Serena's bashed if she does and if she doesn't. People will have problems with her just because - more power to Serena for saying what she wants :lol:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
To those that claim "Serena didn't play her best" -- I have one question. Why?
Did she not care to win? Did she want to see Masha get her first Grand Slam? Was it mental fraility? Poor preparation? What's the reason?

I fail to understand how offering up "she didn't play her best" as a rationale for losing somehow mitigates the loss. If she COULD have played better and thus won, why didn't she?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Serena wanted it so bad that she stressed herself out. She admitted that.
Anyone catch her do the Marat Safin 'threaten the ground with your racquet' anger response? She panicked and couldn't figure things out. That's okay though I hope she does use this for future motivation. And all credit to Maria for a great tournament and her first slam but Serena def Mauresmo 6-7 7-5 6-4 was the ladies match of the fortnight. And 6-2 in grand slam finals is still pretty damn hot!

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
She "didn't play at her best" bcause Maria played well enough to frustrate her. It's as simple as that. Maria simply played out of her mind. I don't know why people can't just accept the evidence of their eyes.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Hots4Safin said:
Serena wanted it so bad that she stressed herself out. She admitted that.
Anyone catch her do the Marat Safin 'threaten the ground with your racquet' anger response? She panicked and couldn't figure things out. That's okay though I hope she does use this for future motivation. And all credit to Maria for a great tournament and her first slam but Serena def Mauresmo 6-7 7-5 6-4 was the ladies match of the fortnight. And 6-2 in grand slam finals is still pretty damn hot!
i actually thought that semi was really awful
it was terrible to see two established players so tight that they couldn't hit their shots well
and imo, serena played better in the final that in the semi

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
I think serena was just tight out there...this time the pressure REALLY REALLY caught up to her. Face it, even in the match against Momo she was tight. She played two VERY bad games when she was serving for the first and second set respectively. She knew she was on the verge of making history and she got tight with the pressure.

No insult to Maria, but you really think that Serena can´t handle Maria´s pace?! She has seen more and better than that! I mean Serena handled Lindsay´s, Monica´s, Venus´s pace....and if you can handle their pace, then you can handle Maria´s too.

Plus it ain´t like Maria had like 40+ winners either...a sign that Serena was tight was that forehand was waaayyy off and she couldn´t get a grip on herself, see all the slipping.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Why cant some people accept that it is possible for Serena to not play well, as well as for her opponent to play wellall at the same time? :eek:

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
earthcrystal said:
I fail to understand how offering up "she didn't play her best" as a rationale for losing somehow mitigates the loss. If she COULD have played better and thus won, why didn't she?
:rolleyes:

Some days you just don't have your best stuff. What serena is saying is that if she did play her best she could have done better. Simple as that. Saying that you did not play your best is a psychological shield that protects your ego from being too badly bruised and is sometimes the truth. You're obviously not a competitive person or you would understand. Admitting that you were totally outplayed by your opponent shows weakness and lack of belief in yourself.

·
Banned
100 Posts
id have liked to see jen play at her best with her old body back, now she could generate some pace too...awww im remenicing!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
earthcrystal said:
To those that claim "Serena didn't play her best" -- I have one question. Why?
Did she not care to win? Did she want to see Masha get her first Grand Slam? Was it mental fraility? Poor preparation? What's the reason?

Here what i think. Having followed Serena since she came onto the tennis scene, it was obvious to me that Serena was extremely nervous. I had a feeling that Serena would be more nervous for the final than Maria, and it looked like i was right. It was evident from when Serena came out and couldnt get a return into play for the first 3 points. Her footwork was bad at times and her serve % was down, which happens when she chokes, and she played too tentatively. It was like she was afraid to go for her shots, and kept hitting the ball in the middle of the court. Also there were a few occasions where Serena had Maria on the defensive in the point, but when she had a chance to finish the point she just hit the ball into the middle again and let Maria back into it, and Maria would hit a lob or a passing shot. Yes i think Maria played well but she shouldnt have been given most of the chances that Serena gave her. If Serena had played her usual powerful deep shots and moved Maria around, Maria wouldnt have been able to hit most of her winners. But like i said it was a great job for Maria to keep going for her shots and taking her chances.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts