Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the other 2 should be a Hall of Famers as well, is it because Boris won his first slam earlier than the other 2? becuase if it were because of the retiring dates, Becker actually retired the last from those 3. Anybody knows why?

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
rhz said:
I believe the other 2 should be a Hall of Famers as well, is it because Boris won his first slam earlier than the other 2? becuase if it were because of the retiring dates, Becker actually retired the last from those 3. Anybody knows why?
Ivan Lendl won Roland Garros in 1984. Becker/Edberg is a toss-up, but Lendl should be in before either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lendl is in, I'm pretty sure.

Edberg is going in next year, because they want one "name" per year. There was a big controversy about that, because many people think Edberg is more deserving of the spot and, if they plan on going that route, should have gotten in first.

·
Premium Member
172,290 Posts
becker got in before cos he is a "broom cupboard boy" and more controversial, tax dodger, rent-boy.

Stefan always the classier of the two :)

·
Banned
947 Posts
disposablehero said:
Ivan Lendl won Roland Garros in 1984. Becker/Edberg is a toss-up, but Lendl should be in before either.
i agree! he should be in there before becker. whether you liked his game or not, lendl worked very hard and deserved all his success especially at the us open.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
doloresc said:
i agree! he should be in there before becker. whether you liked his game or not, lendl worked very hard and deserved all his success especially at the us open.
Plus he still holds the record for weeks at no.1 for the men....I don´t like it when people put other aspects in judging players. Lendl´s results are there! Period....if someone was more talented that he was, they should´ve won more,no?! ;)

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Lendl is already there.

I'll say it again: Most of the tennis coverage in the USA is filtered through the lens of the McEnroe brothers. They HATED Lendl (well. . . .at least John did). Until they get outta the broadcasting booths, we'll probably never get a real good feature on him.

Yeah, he's already in the Hall. I was kinda hoping that he'd wear his tennis shorts for the ceremony, but he opted for slacks and an Oxford instead. :(

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Pureracket said:
Lendl is already there.

I'll say it again: Most of the tennis coverage in the USA is filtered through the lens of the McEnroe brothers. They HATED Lendl (well. . . .at least John did). Until they get outta the broadcasting booths, we'll probably never get a real good feature on him.

Yeah, he's already in the Hall. I was kinda hoping that he'd wear his tennis shorts for the ceremony, but he opted for slacks and an Oxford instead. :(
Word! Johnny Mac SURE hated Lendl.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Blech, Lendl

I never could stand him and it had nothing to do with John McEnroe. I admire what he acomplished in his career, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. But a tempest in a teapot is the outrage about him not being in the hof. He was inducted as post after post here has attested.

It does break my heart a little that Becker was inducted before Stefan. Becker, however, has always stayed in the headlines and has thrown his weight around in tennis circles. Stefan has had a quiet retirement and has been active only in Swedish tennis.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
starr said:
Blech, Lendl

I never could stand him and it had nothing to do with John McEnroe. I admire what he acomplished in his career, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. But a tempest in a teapot is the outrage about him not being in the hof. He was inducted as post after post here has attested.

It does break my heart a little that Becker was inducted before Stefan. Becker, however, has always stayed in the headlines and has thrown his weight around in tennis circles. Stefan has had a quiet retirement and has been active only in Swedish tennis.
Crap. Rules are Rules. The one that retired first should be inducted first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.