Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, seriously, what do they get out of it?

All the players out there are earning what they get, so why is it necessary to be against ANY of them? There's so much more to be gained in cheering for than ranting against. Yes, in TEAM sports we frequently root against the other team. Rarely do we root against another player. And if we do, it's usually an acknowledgement of how often they've beaten our team. In golf, Duval fans don't spend their time talking about how Tiger WOods has ruined the tour. I personally hate how Plushenko skates. But I'd rather watch Goebel than worry about Plushenko.

WHat would yourather do? Spend your time going on about how much you hate Michelle Kwan? Or just sit back and enjoy Sarah Hughes?

Does the crap of life smell so good that joy becomes banal?

What's the motivation?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I wonder why people have fav lists with matches players they dislike lost, doesn`t that go a little bit far?

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
If you cheer for someone you'll find yourself ranting against someone else obviously. It's only natural. I don't like team sports and personally I have a problem with soccer fans and their riots etc... and how fans of pro sports in America or any teams are so passionate about their teams etc... I don't see the point there! :confused:

But that's me, the only sports I really follow are Tennis and Figure Skating, and even there only mostly the women :eek: I wouldn't say I'm anti-anyone in those sports. Obviously I have my likes and dislikes. But if someone is I could sort of understand too.

"WHat would yourather do? Spend your time going on about how much you hate Michelle Kwan? Or just sit back and enjoy Sarah Hughes?"

Sit back and enjoy? It's not so easy when your favourite is trying to win Olympic Gold or or if she's trying to win a Grand Slam title... if you know what I mean. It's not exactly relaxing watching it.

I think you're also missing some points here. There's a difference between HATING someone and rooting against them. I root against Jen, especially lately. But I don't HATE her, never have. In fact, I'm sure she's lovely and would love to meet her. This was the same with me with Steffi Graf in the 90's.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
There's an obvious difference between a team sport such as football and individual sports, such as singles tennis and golf. But there's also big differences among the individual sports Compare tennis and golf..

In tennis, another player can directly prevent your fave from winning and can cause her to make errors or neutralize her game. In golf, your fave is the only one responsible for failures and errors.-not the competition. That's why no one hates Tiger Woods (or not many).

That's just a small distinction that needed to be made. But for the larger point about rooting for your fave vs. bashing the competition, I think that the bashing is necessary even if unpleasant. THat's the nature of man to lash out at such things. How else can he let out those powerful emotions? It would be bad if fans started throwing sticks and stones at the enemy or fighting each other. For now, at least there's only words.

As unpleasants as it can be to read about my faves being bashed, I must admit that it makes their victories so much sweeter for me.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I think it is just basic human nature. Certainly it is taken to an extreme on web boards such as this. Nameless, faceless posters ranting and raving inappropriately. Hate is such a strong word. Perhaps it is just venting.

As for myself, I certainly don't hate Martina Hingis. She is my least favorite of the top players. I absolutely respect her talent, determination and never say die attitude. As a matter of fact, I prefer watching Hingis play my favorites. It adds variety and contrast, pro vs. con. It makes matches a bit more exciting to have someone to root for and someone against. I prefer watching a Hingis/Seles match for instance than a match between 2 players I root equally for, say Jen/Seles.

I am not sure if this explains all the unneccessary, negative posts on this board. I don't think it does...oh well.

·
***** Emeritus
44,066 Posts
It's kinda natural. Why shouldn't you have players you dislike, while you have players you like?? Sharing all your views with the (WTA)world on the other hand, is something different ;)

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I asked, and you've all given well-reasoned responses. Guess it's something we'll all just have to live with.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Because a film (usually) sucks when there's no villain.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I honestly think most people, overtly or not, are anti at least one player, I know I am.

Its does stretch into Golf any most sports I think...there is always someone you wanna win and someone you hope doesn't...

Often the most long lasting resentment comes from something a player themselves has said about your own fave, that they have treated your fave badly so its alright to act in turn.

I do it, Im not especially proud of it, but neither am I ashamed...I think it is, as people have said, human nature.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have found that negative energy gets very little done in the world. I find it best to focus on the athletes I love and hope everyone else does their best so we can have the best competition possible. I think all of these athletes realize that this is just sport and there are much more important things in life. I think a lot of people would be better off to recognize that. Have fun and be well!

Matt

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I don't really hate any players anymore i like some more than others and the ones i dislike i trash on to my friends!:p :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Volcana, I agree with you in that I don't believe people should be so anti- this player or that player. It should be enough to root for your fave, and may be better player that day win, without bashing the other player. In life and in sports, as a player and a fan I am the type of person who chooses consciously to accentuate the positives.

That being said, I think our culture has geared us very much into an "us versus them" mentality. If you go back to your high school or college days (at least in the States), there's school spirit day, there are school rallies, there are huge deals made out of sporting events to promote "us" and BASH "them"-- the other schools, teams, classes, whatever. Professional sports such as football have made gazillions out of promoting their teams, and creating fanatical fans by playing up "rivalries". So the point of that is that we've been raised to have a very adversarial relationship to anyone who we don't consider "us"-- in tennis, it is anyone who is not one of our faves.

If you go back to ancient Greek, gladiator sports were the epitome of "us versus them"-- since it's win or die at that point-- so of course you anyone not your fave had to die! Moreover, historically, gladiator sports were brought in to amuse the masses in place of wars. So when you think of sports as a placeholder for war, and how our modern culture still promotes that actively, then I think you understand why people hype it up and are very negative on those not on their side. I do believe it is a great avenue for channeling combative energies (hence the Olympic games), and it beats out having actual wars any day of the week.

Anyway, that's my pseudo-cultural anthropology analysis on WHY, however I don't necessarily believe that's all we're capable of-- we can go beyond that if we want to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts