Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant understand it.

Whoever gets to number 1 deserves to be there.

I dont know why people have so much against Venus I think she is a great player who has plenty of respect for her oppenants, the officials and herself when she is on court. Unlike some players.

Serena the same she could have got so pissed off at IW last year, but she was mature enough to not let things bother her.

I can see why people talk about the contreversy that surrounds them and their family, but what they do and whether or not it is genuine is really none of our business.

Im a Martina fan, and I have nothing against Venus or Serena at all, It seems that alot of people who arent a 'Williams fan' are like a Williams hater. I know most Martina fans have respect for other players, and their fans, but there are a few who are really quite rude.
I dont know whether its jealousy, racism or what.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Jessica,

Nice post from a classy Hingis fan. I think people did get pretty carried away during the Sandrine-Venus match today and maybe went a little overboard but they were just having fun. They did not really want anyone to kill Venus. Anyway most of the people doing that stuff today were NOT Hingis fans! They were Seles, Testud fans. I know Adrian is a Martina fan who seems to have some issues with Venus (*sorry Adrian still like you though). Part of the drama today is that Sandrine has a long history of having lost tough matches to Davenport, Seles and Hingis and other top players. She had several wins over Serena but never Venus and Sandrine's fans were just really wanting Sandrine to "kill" Venus in the sense of playing aggressively since that is the only way to beat Venus. I expect that many people will also be hoping that Sandrine "kills" Martina, Lindsay, Monica or Amelie too. Martina has never lost to Sandrine and hopefully for me it will stay that way. I do REALLY REALLY LIKE SANDRINE though. She had two wins in a row over Jennifer last fall, beat Justine in Hawaii(against whom she had struggled) and now beats Venus. So CONGRATULATIONS to SANDRINE and her fans(including me) on finally getting some really big wins!:D

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's because they're arrogant and just stupid.

Look them and you're going to see it. Nobody says that they're played bad or have a bad style of game. But I can't see them, I hate her just when I hear about them!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Those "SOME" people are just a certain few "individuals" who hate blacks. Maybe it was how they were brought up. Sadly many of these racist individuals don't even realize how ignorant they appear to the people who are alot more cultured. What we all must realize is,is that it is an individual thing and not a whole sector of people feel the way that a certain few do.

Also it has been to my knowlede that when I post my realistic replys concerning racism that it seems these same "individuals" pop in all defensive. I mean I am not posting any names. So if one feels there not a racist then why not let this topic drop?

Jessica your a great poster... I must say many Hingis fans are imho great people:)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I really think it comes with the territory. I hate to say that and sound like I accept that as an answer, but...

When Steffi ruled the world, there was a huge anti-Graf backlash.
When Seles ruled the world, there was a huge anti-Monica backlash.
When Hingis ruled the world, there was a huge anti-Martina backlash.

This doesn't apply to Lindsay or Jennifer. I think primarily because Lindsay is so well received and quiet. She was #1, but didn't always tell you that she is going to be/was soon to be/should be/deserves to be #1. As far as Jennifer, nobody has her type of story, and she is respected at least for coming back from the depths of the earth to be #1.

It wasn't easy to be a Selesfan in the early 90s, she was winning everything and so dominate, people hated her just for that.

That's my take on things anyway.....
:)

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Right on truefreud and Seles. People cant accept their favorite being beaten by other players. I dont think all people who hate the Williams' are racsit, btu some certainly are. Oh well, I cant wait for Hingis to become #1 again. And congrats to Testud who really needed this win. Go on and beat Amelie.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I have nothing against Venus and I don`t think she is arrogant either, what did she do or say that was so bad!
Serena is one of my favs anyway, I just love the way she plays and fights on court:D

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Alot of people keep saying that "everybody does not hate the Williams for racist reasons BUT SOME do". Well I think Jessica's post and topic is refering to those "SOME" that do. So many people love to cover up the real truth to threads like this one. with the following replies:

Venus and or Hingis/Seles is just the #1 player and naturally many people want to see her get beat .. blah blah blah..

But let's get back to those certain individuals who DO hate Venus cause she's black.. :) If you dare.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I admire their games but I don't like them because they're arrogant they think they're the best thing that's happened to tennis ever I think people should be more humble. I just don't like them they have helped and damged tennis at the same time. Venus shouldn't be number one because lik everyone says about monica's tournaments she didn't play Hingis,Capriati,Clijsters,davenport,dokic,seles in her ascent to number 1 and she lost to testud today and to monica at the Aussie Open and didn't even play a final.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Selesfan...still have your head up your arse? I guess you haven't been paying attention...Times have changed...and any way whether Venus deserves it or not...she WILL BE NUMBER ONE!!!!

:wavey:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
So I do not like the Williams, I am a racist? Hmm..that sounds pretty ignorant, not to mention presumptious. I think what the Williams sister do for tennis is excellent. I am a teacher, and I was summer school teaching at an inner city school last summer, and I talked with the students about Wimbledon, since it was going on at the time They knew what was going on, and they wanted Serena to win. One girl said she plays because of Venus. I think that is great. Other than that, the Williams sister do not do it for me.

Since Jen became huge last year, became the number one player, suddenly, more people hated her. It was her success, not because she was white or italian-or whatever. Oh yeah, people hate her because she curses at people, or whatever reason they can find. BUT, that is ok! I dont necessarily like some players.

People don't like the Williams because they dominate. Because they say they are going to dominate-and they pretty much do. Arrogance is not the nicest trait that MOST athletes have. Let's face it, a big part of an athlete is their ego. It seems the more elite a player is, the more ego they have.

I know Jen has a big ego, too. But since I am a big fan of hers, I overlook it. I mean, seriously, even if I was not her fan, I would not see the big deal in cursing-or perhaps I would if she just beat my fave, or if she took the number one ranking from someone else. I don't know.

And I am happy for Sandrine. And I am happy Jen will most likely regain the number one ranking. I think Sandrine is a good player who has had some great wins-and this was one of them. She kicked Jen's butt a few times last year!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
What I gather from Selefan1 is that he is not use to seeing to black women being strong minded and independent thinkers. Venus and Serena, nor Hingis or Seles or Jennifer have to bow down and kiss anyone's ass. Their great players and if they get a little cocky so what? Many sports stars like to talk a lil smack. Especially when they are young. Show me a cocky arrogant article from Venus that suggest she should instead kiss your ass? Show me a recent article. Bye the way Monica was no angel back when she was younger either.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dawn, Truefreund, Seles you are all very classy, well-respected posters. :)

And are absolutely right about the backlash, people dont like to see their favorites beaten by the no 1. The no1 players have to put up with so much extra critism, but Martina dealt with it fantastically, and im sure Venus will do the same.

But I do think with some people it is just racism. Some people just dont want to see black people suceed.

I know it because I have seen it. Im not black myself, but some members of my family are and they get different treatment to me, which is pathetic.

I dont know whether or not the Williams are disliked because of their colour or something else, but to me they are no different to other players. They seem to have a very good on court and off court manner.

Also: Congrats to Sandrine!! (she had better not think about beating Hingis though!!)

·
Banned
692 Posts
There are alot of situations which make people anti-williams

There colour is one- I have discriminated them before by saig (??????????) when the own a point against my favorites. Thats just aner and frustration though.

They just hate seeing her beat peoples favourites, but its gotta happen sometime aye.

Im not to anti-venus but i have my views on them.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Jennifer fan who said that if you don't like the Williams sisters your a racist in this topic????

Many people don't like Venus because they just don't gravitate to her as a player. AND like EVERYONE knows and suggested in this thread "SOME" dislike and hate her because she black. So your not one of em.. ok cool:)

Jennifer was disliked because she started to win and her court sense was ugly. Many people cheered her on to her first slam final sorry that Jennifer kinda lost some fans her way . I beleive that she lost fans because of her own actions not because she was born with darker skin.:)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Linton thank you for being honest.. :)

I mean I have my biases too. I can't stand people who aren't cultured and are against women's rights. I also can't stand people who dislike people because they are gay .. I think that is so stupid.:) not to mention those who hate people who are of darker skin. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I think the Williams Sisters are great players, people and advocates for the game.

They have the right to think they are the best, because they are. Venus is so classy and shows great maturity on the court.

I think that SOME their fans aren't as nice. They find it very difficult to show respect and offer congrats when they are due. Also, just because someone doesn't like the Williamses doesn't mean their racist. People have their own tastes, so you can't say they are one thing just because they don't like another.

Other than that, I don't know but I do know we have a rightful no 1 now in Venus. No number 1 will ever win 100% of matches, coz if they did then tennis would be so boring. Congrats to Venus and her fans! You deserve it!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I totally agree with you I luv Jelena.

They are great for the game, but some of there fans arent very nice and some of them just want to rant and bitch about everything , but the same goes for every set of fans. You get good and bad.

As for Jen Im not a huge fan I respect her for all her achievements but i just think her court manner is terrible, a hell of alot worse than the Williams sisters or Hingis, yet people are always calling them arrogant.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
DAWN MARIE DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ME BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW ME OR ANYTHING ABOUT ME SO DON'T SPEAK ON SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.