Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If players cannot call a ball out, why are they allowed to call one in? I think calls should be left to the umpire. It makes no sense to say players are capabale of calling a ball in, but not out.

Reactions: JayKay

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
never thought about it like that but you make a good point.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
faboozadoo - In other words, they are telling players they don't trust them! LOL! I just think it makes sense to say umpires make the calls, period. Isn't that what they are there for?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
:wavey: Ok...situation....a player hits the baseline, linesman calls out opponent says "It was good"...seems silly to have 2 players disagreeing with a call...instead of the honest player saying "It was in" opponent putting up hand to say "Thanks I appreciate that" and moving onto the next point? Just a thought? :wavey: Some players have a concience I guess...but with the way things are going I can't see it happening for much longer...these days a win is a win in the eyes of most players. :wavey:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirt - I agree it's nice for players to do that, but considering how often players are wrong about calls against them, they could certainly be wrong about calls they give players. I guess my point is simply that it's the umpires job to make the calls, and not the players. Otherwise, why have linesmen at all?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kart - They might have the best view on a ball that's out but is called in...but we don't let them call that, right? So why do they get to call a ball in?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
:wavey: I think tennis is becoming too mechanical....many of the times these have been called in by the player, it has been a mistake by the linesperson or they were unsighted and the umpire had to make a call on the line furtherest from him/her. If human error can make a mistake surely a player being a human can correct it.

I am in fear of the time when we move to the "Tell-Electronic" system. All that beeping would drive me mad. I'll never knock back a sportsmanlike gesture, on the other hand for a player to question a call saying their shot was in is bad sportsmanship. IMO :wavey:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Kirt12255 said:
:wavey: Yes fair point. I think however it shows great sportsmanship to call an opponents ball good, something the game of tennis is losing IMO...Pat Rafter and Stefan Edberg were classics at saying "no it was in". :wavey:
:angel: Oh, I miss them
Players can do it on clay because the mark is clear. And to save time for the umpire to come down. Many clay court players do it. I mean men.
I haven't seen players calling balls good on hard court :confused: If it did happen in the past, it surely will happen less and less.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
xin said:
:angel: Oh, I miss them
Players can do it on clay because the mark is clear. And to save time for the umpire to come down. Many clay court players do it. I mean men.
I haven't seen players calling balls good on hard court :confused: If it did happen in the past, it surely will happen less and less.
I know Pat nominated a ball that was called out as "in"....crucial point yet defines what Aussie Sport is about....Not bad calls....but the best person wins on the day. He lost the match. Was a 3rd set tie-break from memory to give Fereira?(?) match point or Martin...sure it was one of the 2 LOL

Pat and Stefan have both retired...at least they can walk away with their Milllions of dollars and say "what we won...is what we won" :wavey:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Love to hear this, Kirt :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
If players cannot call a ball out, why are they allowed to call one in? I think calls should be left to the umpire. It makes no sense to say players are capabale of calling a ball in, but not out.
I had the very same query and it was explained to me as follows. The whole essence of calling a ball in or out relies on accuracy. A player that plays a close to the line shot is affected by a sub-conscience cognitive bias. This phenomenon is proven by science. Its human nature. It is also the case that the player receiving the ball is affected by this same phenomenon. So the people who make the rules and have undoubtedly considered every aspect of this situation and they have decided as only one decision can be made between a ball in or out and it was decided it is the person receiving the ball that makes the call. It was explained to me that this decision was decided on as the receiver of the ball is in just about all cases the person closer to where the ball came in contact with the ground and is therefore in a better position to make the more accurate call.
The reason that a player who plays the shot is permitted to overrule the call of the receiver when the receiver calls the ball out is that if the player of the shot believes that the ball is out they form that belief without a sub-conscience cognitive bias but in fact with a conscience cognitive un-bias. On the balance of probabilities a person playing any sport will not in circumstances that are unwarranted, declare a fault or penalty against themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.