Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do former jr.1's stay at 40-100 forever it seems--->see (Cara Black)
Is it that much a jump?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
not sure if this is the total reason or even the main reason but a lot of juniors that are beginning their wta days say that in juniors when you get ahead then the set is over so they aren't always challenged and if they are it isn't for a whole match whereas in the wta everyone fights until it is over. this could give them over-confidence or they just won't be match fit. but i think at the moment the junior game is getting a lot better so maybe in the future it won't be as hard for them. plus i think there is a lot more variety in the games of wta players than in juniors (but i'm not sure on that).

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
That's very true Gowza =P
A lot of junior players coming into the WTA will lose a close first set 6-4 7-5 or 7-6 and then let themselves be blown away in the second set with no fight 6-0 or 6-1

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
btw a lot of challenger players coming into WTA tour tournaments also have the same problem!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
good point Les. I've been wondering too. on the other hand some top-players now, weren't really superb junior-players, like Daniela and Kim for example, if I am not mistaking. Walking tennis-encyclopaedia, please correct me!!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i didn't follow juniors at all when kim played but i heard that her and dokic were really great junior players.

some players also have a lapse in the 2nd set even if they won the first and i think that is also partly because in juniors they give up more easily.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
:wavey: Depends on their support....I posted a thread ages ago on how bad Australian Juniors make the transition.

I know that we came up with eating disorders and alot of stuff that is happening in the AIS (Australian Institute Of Sport).

Neither Alicia, Lleyton or Jelena needed the AIS....Nicole Pratt did but has the heart of a champion....and if Evie doesn't throw some weight on I will be blaming her disorder on the AIS too. So many Junior Slam Champions here that just crash and burn.

It's a money game here and I am sure it is the same for Cara Black as well. Not every tennis player has the joy of being in a successful system....however Russia seem to have worked it out. :wavey:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
when cara black was senior champion it was a fact that many juniors younger then her where much better already and had already succes at the seniors (martina, venus, serena, and at that point also anna)

this is not to bash her but when you win the us open juniors and the finalists at the senior competition are ( 2?) years youngers then you can hardly say you are the best junior level wise

I think it also depends how you do at you first few tournaments. there are players who have a great start and then can't back it up. I think confidence plays a big part!

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Kim reached Wimbledon final in junior, and she won some tournaments. She won Roland Garros and US Open in doubles

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
The big difference is that you can succeed in the juniors with less. You don't need as much game, and can often get by with one huge weapon to hide any weaknesses. That doesn't translate as well in the pros because (a) no matter how big your weapons, they've seen something similar to it before, which means they have found a way to handle it and (b) they can get to your weaknesses.

Also, the players with the more complete games as juniors are often gone by the time they're 16, and playing on the main tour. As a general rule (although nothing is absolute), if you're still futzing around in the juniors at 17, and especially at 18, you're not likely to blossom into an elite pro.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Brian Stewart said:
The big difference is that you can succeed in the juniors with less. You don't need as much game, and can often get by with one huge weapon to hide any weaknesses. That doesn't translate as well in the pros because (a) no matter how big your weapons, they've seen something similar to it before, which means they have found a way to handle it and (b) they can get to your weaknesses.

Also, the players with the more complete games as juniors are often gone by the time they're 16, and playing on the main tour. As a general rule (although nothing is absolute), if you're still futzing around in the juniors at 17, and especially at 18, you're not likely to blossom into an elite pro.

But also need to ad that because of age restrictions, Junior players are regulated to how many pro tournaments they can compete in. Thus, they need to continue competing on the junior circuit.

I am also wondering if the talent in the past say four years of junior players are really as good as they used to be?

The only player that I see so far that is living up to her real potential is Vera Zvonreva who is now a top-twenty player.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Like Brian Stewart said, it all depends on the age of the player. Certain # 1's like Hingis, Mauresmo and Kournikova were young at the time they reached # 1 in juniors but others such as Black and Salerni were much older. The new crop of Russians such as Krasnoroutskaya, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, and Douchevina all did well or are doing well at very young ages. They will be around as top players for years to come while others who are playing with them in juniors and are older will not be as great.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I watched a lot of junior competition and my theory is that some juniors are more consistent, less risk takers... They can push the ball back for hours without going for a winner... Very often they prevail over talented juniors, whose shots are more powerful and riskier, but are inconsistent... (see early Serena and Venus).

A recent example: Masha Kirilenko. I really doubt that she will be able to go far in her pro career... Her wins were mostly to her consistency in retrieving shots. Of course, I'll be glad to be wrong. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tenn_ace said:
I watched a lot of junior competition and my theory is that some juniors are more consistent, less risk takers... They can push the ball back for hours without going for a winner... Very often they prevail over talented juniors, whose shots are more powerful and riskier, but are inconsistent... (see early Serena and Venus).

A recent example: Masha Kirilenko. I really doubt that she will be able to go far in her pro career... Her wins were mostly to her consistency in retrieving shots. Of course, I'll be glad to be wrong. :(
You can really see it In A.Harkelroad's game.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts