Tennis Forum banner

Who's the better two-time Slam winner? MAURESMO, PIERCE, KUZNETSOVA or AUSTIN?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this would make for an interesting debate. (I know a similar thread was created in 2010 but that one was answered only by a lot of Amelie fans :p)

Who would you rank higher in a GOAT debate between the two-time GS winners, taking into account the players' careers (not peak forms or match-ups)??

AMELIE MAURESMO
Amelie got the No.1 (unlike Pierce and Kuznetsova) and did much better, regarding consistency, than the other two.

SLAM TITLES: 2 (2006 Australian Open, 2006 Wimbledon)

SLAM FINALS: 1 (1999 Australian Open)

HIGHEST CAREER-RANKING: 1

TITLES: 25

TIER I/YEC/PREMIER MANDATORY/PREMIER 5 TITLES: 7 (Including the 2005 Year-Ending Championships)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP TEN: 7 (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP THREE: 3 (2004, 2005, 2006)

MARY PIERCE
Out of the three, Mary is the one who reached the most Slam finals (4 finals outside her 2 wins) but she is the only one of the four two-time slam winners who was never ranked higher than No.3

SLAM TITLES: 2 (1995 Australian Open, 2000 French Open)

SLAM FINALS: 4 (1994 French Open, 1997 Australian Open, 2005 French Open, 2005 US Open)

HIGHEST CAREER-RANKING: 3

TITLES: 18

TIER I/YEC/PREMIER MANDATORY/PREMIER 5 TITLES: 5

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP TEN: 7 (1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP THREE: NONE

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
She's of course the only one of the four who is still active (so she has a chance to improve her stats :rolleyes:). She has less Slam finals than Mary, but she has more than Mauresmo and Austin :eek:h: and she got as high as World No.2

SLAM TITLES: 2 (2004 US Open, 2009 French Open)

SLAM FINALS: 2 (2006 French Open, 2007 US Open)

HIGHEST CAREER-RANKING: 2

TITLES: 13

TIER I/YEC/PREMIER MANDATORY/PREMIER 5 TITLES: 2

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP TEN: 5 (2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP THREE: 2 (2007, 2009)

TRACY AUSTIN
She's the one that people here in TF will know less, being from a different era. Tracy had some injury problems which pretty much didnt allow her to win more Slams, but well that's just an IF. She won two Slams, but never reached a final outside the two wins, but was ranked No.1 in the world

SLAM TITLES: 2 (1979 US Open, 1981 US Open)

SLAM FINALS: NONE

HIGHEST CAREER-RANKING: 1

TITLES: 30

TIER I/YEC/PREMIER MANDATORY/PREMIER 5 TITLES: (Of course they didnt exist at that time but... I could argue some tournaments she won had the same value as those - if I'm too wrong I hope a BFTP poster could correct me lol) I've counted 6: 1979 Avon Champs of Washington, 1979 Rome, 1980 VS of Boston, 1980 Avon Champs, 1981 Toyota Champs, 1981 Toyota Champs Finale (the 1980 Avon Champs being the official YEC of the season)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP TEN: According to different Magazines and tennise experts, she made the Year-End Top Ten on 5 occasions(1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982)

YEARS FINISHED IN THE TOP FIVE: She was widely considered in the top-three of the year 4 times (1979, 1980, 1981) and one could make a case for 1982 but...

So who would you guys pick as the best? And who would be your second pick? Discuss

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Poll?

Austin would have won two had she not been derailed by injury, and Kuzzie and Sveta would have more than 2 if they weren't such headcases. That leaves Pierce :shrug:

Edit: Kuzzie and Mauresmo :facepalm:

Pierce got to the most slam finals :shrug:

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
Poll?

Austin would have won two had she not been derailed by injury, and Kuzzie and Sveta would have more than 2 if they weren't such headcases. That leaves Pierce :shrug:
:tape: Talk about a headcase ;)

With that said I don't really like the headcase excuse as a reason for a player to not have achieved success. I mean how many slams would Serena have not won if she wasn't so mentally strong? How many comebacks, and MPs saved over the years would she never have gotten if she wasn't mentally strong.

Being mentally strong is a very important inkling in the GOAT discussion, and I think it leaves Sveta trailing behind.

I'd go with Mary personally.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Kuznetsova's definitely the weakest. It's hard to choose from the other 3. I hesitated between Pierce and Mauresmo. I used consistency and years finished in the top 3 as a tie-breaker.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I'm old enough to remember Austin, and she was able to do what none of the others in this poll were able to do--consistently (albeit briefly due to injuries) challenge the best of her era.

Amelie would be my #2.

Reactions: hablo

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I wasn't old enough to see Tracy Austin play. So I'm going for Mauresmo and Pierce a close second. Kuznetsova... lol? I have to say seeing Mary Pierce on fire, she can bludgeon anyone she's up against. I found Mary to be the most exciting to watch when she's not crapping up.

·
Premium Member
27,538 Posts
Amelie, by far.

Pierce comes in second place

Sveta is the flukiest 2 time slam winner of all time: injured Davenport in semis and Dementieva in the final, and Safina in the other final.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tracy Austin. Was en route for all time great career.

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
She's of course the only one of the four who is still active (so she has a chance to improve her stats :rolleyes:). She has less Slam finals than Mary, but she has more than Mauresmo and Henin :eek:h: and she got as high as World No.2
I'm assuming you meant to say that Sveta had more slam finals than Mauresmo and Austin and not Henin (as written), right?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Austin - Pierce - Mauresmo - Kuznetsova

Austin only played the Australian Open once so it can be claimed that she did her self out of GS titles

·
Registered
44,636 Posts
in my opinion tracy austin and i was not alive at her peak, but she was a legend

·
Banned
205 Posts
Ultimately....players are judged on what they have achieved thru-out their respective careers...you can't go on the shoulda-woulda-coulda theory....it's all there in black and white....rankings, tournaments won and so on

But the hell with all that....I go for Mary Pierce....on her day she was unplayable

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
As Mauresmo was number one for a period of time I've voted for her. Also, she might be the last female champion to serve and volley consistently at Wimbledon during an era of baseline play and slower grass. I hope that achievement will be magnified more as years go by.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts