Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some players make better shots in techinicaly "should-not-be-recommended" ways than shots hit in textbook manners.
In tennis technically perfect players are not always the best in terms of winning. The first player that comes up in mind is Steffi Graf. Her forehand wasn't exactly a technically sound shot in terms of the way she swang the racquet but still has been the best forehand in women's tennis. There are many players who don't exactly play text-book like but still win big matches. Another player I can think of is Kimiko Date. Her ground strokes were so flat and I really didn't like the way she stroked her racquet but somehow she came up with great shots with it.
Who else do you guys have in mind?

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
jana's forehand
conchita's serve
seles groundstrokes and volleys

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
backhand - frankie durr

serve - that lady who played mixed against steffi at wimby! the crowd lol @ her ;)

·
Banned
41 Posts
Hingis, why? coz she creates shots that's not
even seen in the textbook, i remember there was
an underspin shot that i've never seen others play,

Capriati, mostly coz her serve, but she
doesnt really have the correct techniques
for her ground strokes though,
she only hits by instinct....she doesnt really think,

Lisa Raymond's BH,
Kournikova, not her techniques, but more
of her shot selections....

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
Kimiko Date was the first who came to my mind. Also Domi van Roost. I just think she was such an unusual (and entertaining) player to watch ;)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
For sure I would have to go with Anke Huber

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh, I like this topic.

Agree on Fraulein Forehand - don't ever try that at home! Only Steffi can pull that off, and to absolute daunting perfection.

Agree on Capriati's serve: um...serving should not be a game of fetch. Unfortunately, my own service toss bears an uncanny resemblance to JenCap's.

What's her name with an extremely "unconventional" (euphemism extreme)service stance and motion? Marion Bartoli, I believe? I think that's her name...she looks just plain *strange* while serving.

In actual reply to this question, I would have to disagree with Hingis. She is the best textbook player I have seen - she is tactically how tennis *should* be played: smart, smart, smart. Her form is extremely good given her height and frame. At her prime, she is what I thought tennis should be like.

The best untextbook?? Seles. Her rise to dominance was based on two-sided, two-handed baseline power, using the entire court. Not much spin, swinging volleys (call them groundstrokes from the net), grunting that sent the Wimby world into a frenzy (now, grunting is so accepted - thanks to Monica for paving that way). And yet, it was so pure... what can I say, I'm a huge fan. :)

·
Banned
41 Posts
ksgyh said:
Oh, I like this topic.

Agree on Fraulein Forehand - don't ever try that at home! Only Steffi can pull that off, and to absolute daunting perfection.

Agree on Capriati's serve: um...serving should not be a game of fetch. Unfortunately, my own service toss bears an uncanny resemblance to JenCap's.

What's her name with an extremely "unconventional" (euphemism extreme)service stance and motion? Marion Bartoli, I believe? I think that's her name...she looks just plain *strange* while serving.

In actual reply to this question, I would have to disagree with Hingis. She is the best textbook player I have seen - she is tactically how tennis *should* be played: smart, smart, smart. Her form is extremely good given her height and frame. At her prime, she is what I thought tennis should be like.

The best untextbook?? Seles. Her rise to dominance was based on two-sided, two-handed baseline power, using the entire court. Not much spin, swinging volleys (call them groundstrokes from the net), grunting that sent the Wimby world into a frenzy (now, grunting is so accepted - thanks to Monica for paving that way). And yet, it was so pure... what can I say, I'm a huge fan. :)
yes i know what u mean about Hingis............
but it raises an interesting question?
if u know anything about quantum mechanics,
u will know many molecules do not follow the rules in the textbook,
same thing with tennis.......
Hingis is different coz she already has the textbook in mind,
and her skills have gone beyond the textbook stuff,
while Seles never followed the textbook that's for sure,

but underhand serve on tennis court?...........
i wouldnt call that textbook.........
she is the perfect shot makers......
it's like calling Patty Schnyder unconventional,
so that's why i think she is "un-textbook",
even though i know what u mean

·
Registered
62 Posts
Coolman, interesting spin. Very true on Hingis going beyond textbook. Her game really transcends what can be written in books. There is no "how to" you can write about her, only a "she knows how."

These days, in the US at least, I would imagine most kids that are trained from a young age are "textbook" in form, mainly b/c there is such a uniform teaching: Western forehand, trained like robots to where we don't have to think about the actual physical shot we are hitting. European players, I cannot speak for. There is "textbook" strategy as well, but variance is much greater for that, given the person's game of choice, so it's harder to define players as being "textbook" once you look past form.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i guess the williams sisters. they have an open stance rather than a side on one and rather than say stepping forward to a shot and transferring weight that way they swin their body and use their hips and shoulders to get the power.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Sabine Appelmans, she was naturally right-handed and did everything right, but when she played tennis, she used her left hand... :eek:
I can imagine this not being recommended in the textbooks, lol.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
either steffi or monica (so this boils down to who is the better player again)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Evgenia Koulikovskaya (not sure about the typo)
She's the only player in women's tennis history to have 2 forehands!!!

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Men... Alberto Berasategui
Women.. I have to go with Pam Shriver

1 - 20 of 26 Posts