Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gee, we're going to have to go through a tough time for a while. Opinions, being like assholes (everybody has one) the arguments won't stop, but the evidence has hit the 'pause' button.

Serena has gone past Seles and Connolly, and not yet up to BJK. And wining another slam singles title won't change that. Winning TWO more won't change that. BJK having such a vastly superior doubles record, as well as being literally the foundation pillar of the open era.

Still, remember ...

1997 "The Williams sisters will never win anything"
1998 "The Williams sisters will never win anything big"
1999 "The Williams sister will never win a slam"

I won't do the litany. It's way too much fun. But right now Serena has 20 slam titles, and Venus has 17. They've won 17 of the last 40 slam singles titles. Serena has been an elite player now for ten years. Go take a look. Historically, that's long time. You can be close to slam-winning level for that long. But doing it is something else altogether. Women's tennis is all too often about burning brightly and flaming out. Long term excellence is rare.

Now, Serena ain't Steffi Graf or Martina Navratilova or Chris Evert. (yet.) But the air up there is gettin' mighty thin.

·
Banned
35,898 Posts
Serena has won 10 slam title in about 10 years, pretty much someones carrer.

She has to win another 13 to reach graf, which she ain't gonna be.

Serena is no GOAT, just a lamb dressed as mutton.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
On cue, Demska is the first to post. :lol:

I think you need to change your sig. :wavey: Your fav is better than everyone .. but one person. :)

Serena is behind the three names you listed and Court. Forward march!

·
Banned
25,017 Posts

Which simply means players like Dementieva equate to chumps.

·
Registered
38,859 Posts

In the words of Missy Elliot -

Yeah, your m****r!

·
49,001 Posts

LOL. What a clever little girl you are. :)

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I'm sure there are some Justine fans who would say that Justine's career is better due to her OG, YEC titles, and weeks at #1. LOL.

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts

She needs 12 more to reach Graf, 13 to be greater than Graf.

·
25,833 Posts

How many players have won five slams, let alone 10?

I don't care how many more slams Steffi has, if Serena wins THE Grand Slam it automatically places her next to Graf, Court, etc in the GOAT category. Winning all four majors in a year is rare air. I'm not saying it would make Serena better than Steffi or Court, but the Grand slam means you are part of the GOAT conversation.

That's why even Maureen Connolly deserves more than a mutton mention for GOAT in my book-the Grand Slam is special.

And this year only Serena can win it. Here's to a good Roland Garros!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Forgive these people,father...:wavey::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:they know not!!!!!!!Don"t worry But HAPPY:lol::lol:....I'AM!:lol::lol::lol::lol::bounce::bounce::wavey::kiss:!!!:lol:

Your'l in the twilglit...Zone!nnnmmmnmmmmnmnm!!:lol:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Maureen Connolly won the Grand slam. That carries a lot of clout. She fell off a horse, and played in the amateur era. In some sense, it's not fair to compare amateur players to open era players (even Lenglen, Wills etc) because the expectations were so different, it's almost a different game. Lenglen won "only" 12 grand slams, but she only played 16. Has any other player won SEVEN tournaments without dropping a single GAME (yes game, not set)?

Seles won 8 grand slams as a teenager, won a slam 4 years in a row, and was no. 1 for 178 weeks. Serena has accomplished more (with doubles), but is it fair to compare her to Seles?

There should be no debate among intelligent people that Serena is above Hingis, Henin, Venus etc. anymore. Henin could have challenged, but chose to retire instead. Venus I guess could still challenge, but that doesn't seem likely. Sharapova has a shot, but that door gets narrower and narrower with each passing year that she fails to win multiple slams.

It would be surprising if Serena played grand-slam winning tennis for more than three years. I think Navratilova was the last woman to win a slam past 30 right? Serena doesn't have Nav's body type, and her game is more physical. Obviously she's Serena, so who knows, but history must give us that precedent that she probably has about 12-15 more grand slam tournaments she can compete for. So she would have to win all of them to catch Steffi. That, I think, is not possible. You can't win the Grand Slam three years in a row. To catch Nav/Evert, she'd have to win about 2/3. I also think that is too tall an order. She's not THAT much better than Venus+Sharapova. I think the SAFEST estimate would be 3-6 more singles slams, putting her between 13 and 16--above BJK but below Nav/Evert. It will be fun to see what pans out!

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Serena is definitely ahead of Seles now. No question. I'd put her ahead of Conolly though, if she gets one more Slam in singles. The only reason being that even Serena didn't dominate the game the way Conolly did, and ofcourse Conolly having the calendar year Grand Slam. Thoughts?

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Maureen Connolly won the Grand slam. That carries a lot of clout. She fell off a horse, and played in the amateur era. In some sense, it's not fair to compare amateur players to open era players (even Lenglen, Wills etc) because the expectations were so different, it's almost a different game. Lenglen won "only" 12 grand slams, but she only played 16. Has any other player won SEVEN tournaments without dropping a single GAME (yes game, not set)?

Seles won 8 grand slams as a teenager, won a slam 4 years in a row, and was no. 1 for 178 weeks. Serena has accomplished more (with doubles), but is it fair to compare her to Seles?

There should be no debate among intelligent people that Serena is above Hingis, Henin, Venus etc. anymore. Henin could have challenged, but chose to retire instead. Venus I guess could still challenge, but that doesn't seem likely. Sharapova has a shot, but that door gets narrower and narrower with each passing year that she fails to win multiple slams.

It would be surprising if Serena played grand-slam winning tennis for more than three years. I think Navratilova was the last woman to win a slam past 30 right? Serena doesn't have Nav's body type, and her game is more physical. Obviously she's Serena, so who knows, but history must give us that precedent that she probably has about 12-15 more grand slam tournaments she can compete for. So she would have to win all of them to catch Steffi. That, I think, is not possible. You can't win the Grand Slam three years in a row. To catch Nav/Evert, she'd have to win about 2/3. I also think that is too tall an order. She's not THAT much better than Venus+Sharapova. I think the SAFEST estimate would be 3-6 more singles slams, putting her between 13 and 16--above BJK but below Nav/Evert. It will be fun to see what pans out!
As unfortunate and tragic as the Conolly and Seles circumstances were, we can only look at how things actually played out. While it's fair to keep the misfortunes of those two champions in mind, it does a disservice to the rest who had nothing to do with those incidents. Serena is clearly ahead of Seles now. As for Conolly, yes the Grand Slam carries a lot of weight, but Serena should overtake her in all probability even if she doesn't win the calendar Grand Slam through sheer number of Slams in singles (9 vs 10 and counting).

·
Registered
14,232 Posts

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
serena is greater than whoever you compare her to ;)

·
Banned
35,898 Posts
Forgive these people,father...:wavey::lol::lol:they know not!!!!!!!Don"t worry But HAPPY:lol::....I'AM!:lol::bounce::bounce::wavey::kiss:!!!

Your'l in the twilglit...Zone!nnnmmmnmmmmnmnm!!:lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts