Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No thread yet?

Have no money and no time, but I will try my hardest to make it for qualies at Roehampton. Unfortunately I have exams that I need to study for during the main event, so will have to miss that altogether. But Roehampton is so awesome :hearts:

·
Stanning for Andi
20,985 Posts
Thankfully my last exam is on June 19, which is a relief! I will be going between June 22-24 and I'll also be there on the first Saturday. I really cannot wait :woohoo:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got tickets for the 1st Saturday and will try to get tickets for Friday on the day.

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
Hello :wavey:

I was wondering what a recommended time would be to arrive to queue at in order to get a grounds pass. I would likely go on Monday or Tuesday of the first week.

Reactions: CrossCourt~Rally

·
64,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll be fine if you get there at 7 or 8.

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
I didn't get tickets this year so I'd like to camp in the queue (finances permitting) - I've only done it once before. I bought one of those pop-out tents for the ocassion. In order to limit the amount of days to have off from work, I'm thinking of queuing from (middle) Sunday for second Monday tickets. Last time, I queued from Monday afternoon for Ladies QF tickets. The staff parked us in a field for the day until play was finished, so I wonder if I can just get straight to queuing up on Sunday ( since if all goes to plan, there will be no play with the new roof ;) ).

So yeah, that's my plan - whether or not it will come to fruition, I don't know.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,470 Posts
I will be going to most (maybe all) of the qualifying and then most of the 1st week too. I will be queuing for ground tickets on all days I go. I suspect I will do 4 or 5 days the 1st week and quite possibly the 2nd Monday as well. Going to Wimbledon (and Roehampton too) is fun. :bounce:

·
Stanning for Andi
20,985 Posts
I also have a ticket for the women's final :banana:

·
Stanning for Andi
20,985 Posts
You'll be fine if you get there at 7 or 8.
Seriously?! :tape: My train arrives into Paddington on the first Monday at 9am. If I make it down by 10am, what time am I likely to get into the grounds?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,470 Posts
Seriously?! :tape: My train arrives into Paddington on the first Monday at 9am. If I make it down by 10am, what time am I likely to get into the grounds?
It depends on a lot of things. If the weather isn't particularly warm or sunny that is to your advantage. I have certainly arrived around 10am on occasion and got in before noon but there are no guarantees at that time. You might get in by 11.30 if the lines aren't to bad or you might find they close the gates before you pass the turnstiles in which case you might not get in until after 2pm.

·
#GloballyEli
16,291 Posts
I'll be there as usual! :wavey:

Have no idea what days yet...just depends on the OOP and.....the weather!!! :lol: :help: :rain:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Me and a friend have our hotel booked in fulham for sunday 21st for a week, ideal location for traveling on the district line to southfields. We have court 1 tickets for Monday and will queue on other days whenever the weather looks great or we like the OOP :) gonna be a good week, hope the weather holds. havent had a stunner wheather wise since 06

·
64,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me and a friend have our hotel booked in fulham for sunday 21st for a week, ideal location for traveling on the district line to southfields. We have court 1 tickets for Monday and will queue on other days whenever the weather looks great or we like the OOP :) gonna be a good week, hope the weather holds. havent had a stunner wheather wise since 06
First week last year was pretty good :shrug:

·
Registered
490 Posts
How much does your hotel cost? Can you give me the exact name please?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Last year, the LTA rang me up and offered me last minute tickets - it was amazing. Saw Kuzy v Zahlavova Strycova on court 2 amongst others. This year looks like a no-no, but I am going to Eastbourne and the ATP Champs in December. I've been to Roehampton once - sat on that grassy bank and watched people like Perebiynis and Mirjana Lucic if I rememeber rightly.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If anybody has a tip for a cheap guesthouse...not too far from the venue...would be cool!
Thanks in advance!
Why not try a backpacker like Generator (http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/london) ? - it's like five minutes from Russel Square. From there you take the Piccadilly line to Earl's Court and then hop on a train to Southfields. Should take you about 45 minutes to an hour to get there.

·
64,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If anybody has a tip for a cheap guesthouse...not too far from the venue...would be cool!
Thanks in advance!
I highly recommend the Kensington Astor youth hostel. Cheap for London standards, decent hostel, amazing location (in fact, many players stay there; many of the top-notch hotels are located in this area. I know for a fact that a French contingent always stays here in a rented apartment). You are right next to Gloucester Road and Earl's Court metro stops, right next to a very big Sainsbury's supermarket (and you also have a Waitrose and Tesco in the vicinity, a quite cheap internet café right next to the hostel, as well as a delicious Paul's Bakery, a really good Indian restaurant called Masala Zone, a Starbucks, a Burger King). I stayed in this area for almost two weeks last year and also the year before, and if I weren't staying with a friend this year, I would go back there. It's amazing value for money and the location is upscale.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts