Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Antwerp! I've already booked a hotel but no tickets yet.
Is someone familar with this tournament? Should I already get tickets now or can I buy it on the days itself?

·
member of NSSA
7,622 Posts
I'm also going!! Booked hotel as well, and got my tickets for the qualification matches. I'm not familiar with this tournament, as it is my first time at the Proximus Diamond Games as well.
The last information I got is that there are still ample tickets available. I highly doubt it is going to be sold out at any day, except maybe on Final Day, especially when Clijsters plays.
Women’s tennis isn’t that popular in this region. And besides, tennis fans tend to buy their tickets at the last minute, because you’ll never know in advance who’s going to play. I experienced this myself; the player I want to see was scheduled to play qualification matches, but now she got straight into main draw. Now I’m skipping the first day…
My guess is that during the week you can buy tickets on the day itself, as was the case at the Ordina Open and Hasselt last year or at least a day ahead, when you more or less know who made it to the next round.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,637 Posts
For Wednesday, I would not risk waiting with buying the tickets. Kim is scheduled to play then and it is likely to be sold out.

:wavey:

·
Registered
530 Posts
yes indeed, it's better if you go on wednesday or one of the next days you buy them in advance. But if you go on the other days before wednesday you can buy them there.. I go the first day and watch Karolina :hearts:
Ajmo

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
Me :D

Saturday qualifying and Friday night quarter finals. Depending on how I am feeling and wish to brave the psycho children on Kids Day, I may go on Sunday Qualifying too :D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
64,637 Posts
The qualies draw needs to be spectacular for me to go :lol:

No MEC :sad:

·
Registered
16,231 Posts
I will be there for the first quallie day on saterday and the first match of Kim on wednesday-eve :)

·
4,181 Posts
I'm going! I'm trying to go to as many Kaia's matches as possible, hehe, we'll see! :)

I was thinking fo going to Kim's Wednesday match too, but it's almost sold out and I can't decide yet :sad:

·
member of NSSA
7,622 Posts
Are you kidding ? :lol:
No, I am not kidding.
Clijsters is popular; women’s tennis in general is not. Without Clijsters playing, Antwerp wouldn’t draw as much attention as it does now. Just take a look at Hasselt. The main reason why it is taken off from the calendar is because of Clijsters’ retirement. It just won’t yield as much interest as it did before.
That is also why Verbeeck is trying to upgrade the tournament to a Tier I level and to combine it with a men’s event; just to attract more sponsors, otherwise having the tournament wouldn’t be feasible.

Most of the tournaments in this region, i.e. north-west continental Europe, suffer from this problem.
For example last year: Stuttgart, hall capacity 4200 per day, wasn’t sold out during semis and the final; Rosmalen (tournament capacity 62.000) had ample tickets available, and this was a combined event. Same applied for Berlin and Strasbourg.
Antwerp was only sold out during the semi at Saturday and the final because Clijsters played. Mind you, the capacity of the main hall is 12.000! Without Clijsters, the organization will have lots of problems filling those 12.000 seats.
Only Luxembourg and Linz were sold out during the second half of the week, but they had much less capacity.

Also television coverage is minimal. Even on Flemish television I don’t get to see much of Paris or Pattaya, probably because Clijsters doesn’t play there.

Taking all this into consideration, I can safely say that women’s tennis isn’t popular in this part of the world.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'd love to go but I have too many assignments due the week after:( :( But I'll be on the point-tracker no doubt ;)

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
I'll be going with a friend from my city Aachen as well. Unsure about the day though - probably Thursday or Friday.

·
4,181 Posts
Women's tennis is pretty popular in this side fo the world, yes. Last Sunday we got the entire Tokyo final on television. People know a lot of top players by name and follow both Clijsters and Hénin. But it is true that if neither of the 2 will play next year, the interest will drop. The only thing that can help the tournament is Hénin starting to play Antwerp again... Or someone like Sharapova. Not that Venus doesn't help though. We'll see. But tennis does get quite a lot of tv coverage, not that they're televising every tournament live, but where did they do that anyway?

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would be nice to meet some people from this forum there since I'm going alone.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm going to the quallies tomorrow, maybe also on sunday, I'm also going wednesdayevening, friday the whole day, saturdayevening and sunday

1 - 20 of 30 Posts