Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the WTA's American hardcourt season for real.

Code:
Jul 21 Stanford     II 28/32/16 291
Jul 28 San Diego    II 48/16/16 389
Aug 04 Los Angeles  II 48/16/16 419
Aug 11 Toronto       I 56/32/28 388
Aug 18 New Haven    II 28/48/16 296
                                ---
                               1783 pts*

*Accumulated winners points
IW and Miami are nice, but they're also really just a transition from indoor season to clay. They do provide a nice bump in interest during a slow time of the year, but that's about it. I'm very happy tennis comes to the States twice a year, but the run up to the US open is where hardcourt tennis is the real focus.

You'll note the absence of the USOpen.

a) It isn't a WTA event.

b) The Williams sisters are likely to play, which rather changes the analysis.

The main thing is figuring the effect of injuries and surface.

Serena will miss at least one tournament
Kim had a pretty dreadful hardcourt season last year.
Justine has never been the best hardcourt player
Venus may not play again til the USOpen
Lindsay already pulled out of one event this summer.
Amelie can't stay on the court.
Jenn hasn't won a tournament in over a year.

Could this finally be the summer of former Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Chanda Rubin?

What say thee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,908 Posts
Kim didnt have a good hardcourt season last year bc she was slumping at the time, but this year she seems to be playing well. I think without the Williams sisters she will win most of the tournaments. Chanda doesnt seem to be in great form, shes not playing as well as she did last year.
 

·
Adrenaline junkie
Joined
·
24,878 Posts
Volcana said:
This is the WTA's American hardcourt season for real.

Code:
Jul 21 Stanford     II 28/32/16 291
Jul 28 San Diego    II 48/16/16 389
Aug 04 Los Angeles  II 48/16/16 419
Aug 11 Toronto       I 56/32/28 388
Aug 18 New Haven    II 28/48/16 296
                                ---
                               1783 pts*

*Accumulated winners points
IW and Miami are nice, but they're also really just a transition from indoor season to clay. They do provide a nice bump in interest during a slow time of the year, but that's about it. I'm very happy tennis comes to the States twice a year, but the run up to the US open is where hardcourt tennis is the real focus.

You'll note the absence of the USOpen.

a) It isn't a WTA event.

b) The Williams sisters are likely to play, which rather changes the analysis.

The main thing is figuring the effect of injuries and surface.

Serena will miss at least one tournament
Kim had a pretty dreadful hardcourt season last year.
Justine has never been the best hardcourt player
Venus may not play again til the USOpen
Lindsay already pulled out of one event this summer.
Amelie can't stay on the court.
Jenn hasn't won a tournament in over a year.

Could this finally be the summer of former Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Chanda Rubin?

What say thee?
If Serena plays , she will accumulate more than anyone.
Even if Kim accumulates 1000 points, in reality it could mean mere 300, because of her huge 18th event. It though won't be useless points. She has a lot of defence in fall, and she can make reserves for it now and minimize potential losses.
In theory, not Justine. She doesn't have the game for hardcourts, but.. We all know how much it goes with intimidation on WTA. Those players who were beating her last hardcourt season might be more intimidated by her new GS-winner aura. On that alone, she can make few semis, and that could elevate her total quite a bit.
Not Venus.
Lindsay.. Difficult to say. When anyone played her on hardcourts previous seasons, intimidation factor was extremely important. It is not the same anymore. Still, with no Williamses, she will be the one to beat. It's just a question whether she plays or not.
Amelie had a stellar ( by her standards ) hardcourt season last year. I do not think she'll be able to match it.
Jennifer should be feeling this could be her time. If she recalls how to win three-setters, she will take a couple of titles.
Not Chanda.
Not Hantuchova.
Surprisingly, Myskina plays Sopot, instead playing her best surface against depleted field. Maybe it i s WTA who made her play there.
Not Sugiyama.
Dokic, if she regains her confidence, she might earn some points, the question is, how will she react on being seeded that low and having to play tough early round matches.
Not Maleeva, Martinez or Coetzer.
Definitely Zvonareva. By now, she earned a stereotype of clay players. People will be surprised, how good can she be on US hardcourts. I expect era to make a lot of noise on US hardcourts this year. Almost as much as Masha, but in slightly different sense.
Dementieva. She might, she didn't regain her serve, but she did regain her fighting spirit, and on that spirit alone she used to make US Open semis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Kim and Justine I think, they have improved so much since last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
ys said:
Surprisingly, Myskina plays Sopot, instead playing her best surface against depleted field. Maybe it i s WTA who made her play there.
Nastya :mad: :rolleyes: Ridiculous decision. That is insanity.

Agree with most of ys' analysis, though he underestimates Sugiyama, who loves hard courts. She's unlikely to be a titlist, but with her new-found post-Scottsdale consistency, I wouldn't be surprised to see her pick up a fair few points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,104 Posts
I guess Justine is playing much better than last year! And she's already won Dubai on hard court this year beating Jennifer and Monica!!
I guess she can take a lot of points if she is in form!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
ys said:
If Serena plays , she will accumulate more than anyone.
Even if Kim accumulates 1000 points, in reality it could mean mere 300, because of her huge 18th event. It though won't be useless points...
:confused: What huge 18th event?

Actually, this Summer (including US OPen) Serena has 1105 points to defend and Kim, 311.

Before US Open, they defend:
Serena 65 pts
Kim Clij 189 pts

See http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=79527
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
I think this summer could be jennifers time to stop being the bridesmaid and start winning titles again. She is playing Standford, San Diego and Toronto (not sure about New Haven but i doubt it). I think she will definately make the semi's of all those tournaments and hopefully can win at least one, and get a few revenge wins over some players.

I also have a feeling Lindsay could surprise a lot of people with some of her "in the zone" dominating play coming back.

and it has to be said - wherever Venus plays on the US hardcourts, she wins (except when she plays Serena)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
Dementieva (if I remember correctly) had a miserbale hardcourt season last year including a 2R loss at the USO.

So in terms of who can actually make a difference, I'd say Dementieva, purely because hardcourts are one of her best surfaces.

Everyone else had good results at some point or another over the hardcourt season.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top