Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from the two obvious MD ones, the National Girls 18s winner and Amber Liu, the NCAA winner, there are 22 players IMO who will potentially recieve MD and Quali WC's into this years US Open. They are...

Jamea Jackson, Jewel Peterson, Raquel Kops Jones, Shadisha Robinson, Lauren Kalvaria, Kelly McCain, Angela Haynes, Cory Ann Avants, Melien Tu, Mashona Washington, Bethanie Mattek, Tanner Cochran, Jessica Lehnoff, Carly Gullickson, Ally Baker, Gaby Lastra, Corina Morariu, Bea Bielik, Tara Snyder, Lilia Osterloh, Jennifer Hopkins, and Jessica Kirkland

Lindsay Lee Waters, ranked #108 will almost certainly get in MD on that ranking since a few players always pull out. Gabriela Lastra will almost certainly get into qualies with her ranking given the few obvious withdrawals that occur.

My Main Draw Pics: (given Lee-Waters doesn't need a WC)
Carly Gullickson
Tara Snyder
Bea Bielik
Lilia Osterloh
Shenay Perry
Mashona Washington
Amber Liu
Girls 18s winner

My Qualy Pics
Jessica Lehnoff
Cory Ann Avants
Ally Baker
Jessica Kirkland
Jewel Peterson
Shadisha Robinson
Angela Haynes
Kelly McCain

I didn't mention Corina for a WC because although she is one of my favorites, I feel like it's time she starts qualifying on her own.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I fhtey don't give Bea Bielik a Wild Card, I'd be shockingly surprised.

I'd think they give her a chance to defend all of her points.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,593 Posts
also assuming Lee-Waters gets into MD, and Lastra into qualifying (and not counting the assumption that there may be a few non-Americans thrown in)

Maindraw:

U18 Champ
Amber Liu
Carly Gullickson (good showings so far this season against good names)
Shenay Perry (a couple good challenger wins, easily deserving young talent)
Bethanie Mattek (a little up and down, but still got a 50k title, and they need to keep giving young players these experiences)
Meilen Tu (veteran player who may just miss the cut, only reason she has slipped back down is because of an injury that forced her to lose points and confidence in February)
Corina Morariu (a name most fans will know of by now with her story, and can still upset maindraw players if healthy)
Bea Bielik (has especially improved as of late, a sure bet for a wildcard)

Mashona Washington may also be considered if they feel she deserves a shot to defend her second round from last year, but given form she doesn't deserve it. Sunitha Rao may also get one, but considering she seems to have a bad relationship with the USTA she may be overlooked.

Qualifying:

Jessica Kirkland (some good results, particularly her effort at Indian Wells)
Angela Haynes (seems to have talent, definitely shown a lot of improvement)
Shadisha Robinson (a bit up and down, but knocked off Dominikovic a couple months ago)

from here it gets a bit tough for me

Baker, Avants, Jackson and Cochran could all pick up WC's, but given their results this year I really don't feel they have earned it. Lehnhoff doesn't really either, but she didn't play for a while, and could have suffered an injury setback.

Then there are Peterson, Kops-Jones, and McCain, the NCAA girls, they have had a few results and could get them too.

Then I would also consider Sandra Cacic, who has suffered some injury setbacks (if she is even healthy come US Open), or possibly Tiffany Dabek

If I had to pick any, I would bet on Baker, Lehnhoff, Peterson, Kops-Jones, and Avants getting them.

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy H said:
also assuming Lee-Waters gets into MD, and Lastra into qualifying (and not counting the assumption that there may be a few non-Americans thrown in)

Maindraw:

U18 Champ
Amber Liu
Carly Gullickson (good showings so far this season against good names)
Shenay Perry (a couple good challenger wins, easily deserving young talent)
Bethanie Mattek (a little up and down, but still got a 50k title, and they need to keep giving young players these experiences)
Meilen Tu (veteran player who may just miss the cut, only reason she has slipped back down is because of an injury that forced her to lose points and confidence in February)
Corina Morariu (a name most fans will know of by now with her story, and can still upset maindraw players if healthy)
Bea Bielik (has especially improved as of late, a sure bet for a wildcard)

Mashona Washington may also be considered if they feel she deserves a shot to defend her second round from last year, but given form she doesn't deserve it. Sunitha Rao may also get one, but considering she seems to have a bad relationship with the USTA she may be overlooked.

Qualifying:

Jessica Kirkland (some good results, particularly her effort at Indian Wells)
Angela Haynes (seems to have talent, definitely shown a lot of improvement)
Shadisha Robinson (a bit up and down, but knocked off Dominikovic a couple months ago)

from here it gets a bit tough for me

Baker, Avants, Jackson and Cochran could all pick up WC's, but given their results this year I really don't feel they have earned it. Lehnhoff doesn't really either, but she didn't play for a while, and could have suffered an injury setback.

Then there are Peterson, Kops-Jones, and McCain, the NCAA girls, they have had a few results and could get them too.

Then I would also consider Sandra Cacic, who has suffered some injury setbacks (if she is even healthy come US Open), or possibly Tiffany Dabek

If I had to pick any, I would bet on Baker, Lehnhoff, Peterson, Kops-Jones, and Avants getting them.
I'm pretty sure Sandra Cacic retired...

KV, will they still give Maria Kirlenko a qualy WC if she can get in on her own ranking?

Randy H, I agree with you about Baker and company, but they are the USTA sweethearts so they will probably get one regardless. I'd like to see Baker get one, but I think the fact Bartoli double bageled her this year will leave some doubts in the minds of the committee. Cory Ann had some decent challenger results as well before she got injured, but her last loss to Tracy Singian was just flat out pathetic. She seems to always bring her A Game to flushing though so she'll probably get one.

Any truth in the rumor that Monique Viele asked for a qualy WC? I mean we all know what the answer to that is going to be, but it is interesting she asked...

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,593 Posts
I sincerely hope Sandra didn't retire and I'll be disappointed if she did, because she qualified for Indian Wells and got some good wins there. I really thought that this would have kick started her confidence up certainly.

I think Baker will get one, and maybe Jackson, but I hope Avants and Cochran don't get them because they have been terrible this season for the most part. I hope that the NCAA girls get a shot at it, or even someone like Dabek who is maybe not as promising but has certainly worked ard to get where she is at right now.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
When did Sandra retire??

:sad:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
They will NEVER give an Australian a WC until they maybe make a deal with the Australian Federation.

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Giving Tiffany Dabek a WC would be like flushing one down the toilet. We all know full well what would happen if she got one.

I know it's not gonna happen and I would be shocked if the USTA even considered it, but just for arguments sake, does anyone think Allison Bradshaw should get a qualy WC? She's won a round in either the qualies or the main draw every time shes been in the US Open, and she beat Bethanie Mattek this year...

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,593 Posts
I would like Allison to get one, but she is just too inconsistent, and she has not put in the work ethic to deserve it at this point.

I realize Dabek is not exactly likely to qualify, but given the form of some of these other girls (Avants, Cochran), I really don't think she has any less a chance than they do, and her ranking is better too. But anyway, I highly doubt she will get one, but I have seen a few surprises over the last few years so you never know ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I reckon Lindsay Lee -Waters will get one.
Others will be
Corina M (has her injury ramking finished?)
Carly Gullickson -Wimbeldon showing was impressive
Bea Bielik-Local girl who did well at last years open
Shenay Perry-Made huge strides this year
S Rao- Like Perry has done really well
Amber Liu
Girls 18s winner

Unlucky to miss out- Maybe alternatives
4 ladies all ages about the same who have all had higher rankings:
Melien Tu
Lilia Osterlich
Tara Snyder
Mashona Washington
Then
Mattek
Dabek(if not MD WC Qualy WC)
Ospina(same as Dabek)
Outsiders for MD WC
Cochran
Ashley
Hopkins

My Qualy Pics (if not from above)

Cory Ann Avants- More likely than a MD WC-hasn;t done a heap this year
Ally Baker-Same as As Avants
Jessica Lehnoff
Jessica Kirkland
Shadisha Robinson
Ashley Spears
A Cohen

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Allison Bradshaw lost in the first round of an opportunity tournament in San Diego to qualify to play in a playoff to play in the qualifying draw of the Acura Classic. The USTA doesn't need to waste any more WCs on her at this point. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
azza said:
:eek: How rude!
It's not rude. The Australians didn't give any Americans any WC's. :p

Back to the topic, I don't think Allison deserves one. She has really no good results this year at all.

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tratree said:
Allison Bradshaw lost in the first round of an opportunity tournament in San Diego to qualify to play in a playoff to play in the qualifying draw of the Acura Classic. The USTA doesn't need to waste any more WCs on her at this point. :rolleyes:
:eek: To who? And what was the score?

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
I saw Amy Liu at the NCAA tournament!! She's impressive! But her opponent totally sucked lmao.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
My Main Draw:
Carly Gullickson
Tara Snyder
Bea Bielik
Lilia Osterloh
Shenay Perry
Mashona Washington
Amber Liu
Girls 18s winner

My Qualy Pics
Jessica Lehnoff
Cory Ann Avants
Ally Baker
Jessica Kirkland
Jewel Peterson
Shadisha Robinson
kirilenko (junior winner of last year gets a WC into the tour event the next season)
Kelly McCain

same as Bradshaw#1's except for kirilenko being there. i would like to see douchevina get one but how likely is that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.