·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wtatour.com says Paola won 7-6 6-2 but Yahoo says otherwise

Dokic reaches semifinals at Vienna tennis

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=wviennatennis&prov=st&type=lgns

June 12, 2003
VIENNA, Austria (Ticker) - Jelena Dokic of Yugoslavia is thriving on her favorite surface.

The top seed defeated Paola Suarez of Argentina, 7-5, 7-5, Thursday to advance to the semifinals of the Wien Energie Grand Prix clay court tennis event.

Dokic, who received a bye in the first round, had lost five of her previous seven matches entering the tournament. The 20-year-old won two titles last season, but had not advanced past the quarterfinals this season, most recently losing in the second round at the French Open to Slovenia's Tina Pisnik.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Dokic has experienced some of her best success on grass, including her only semifinal showing at a major at Wimbledon three years ago. Dokic improved to just 14-14 overall this season.

Croatian qualifier Karolina Sprem, who burst onto the scene last month when she reached the final of the Strasbourg Open, reached the semifinals with a 6-3, 6-2 upset of No. 7 Denisa Chladkova of the Czech Republic.

The 18-year-old Sprem did not win a main draw match in a WTA event before that surprise showing.

Another unseeded player reached the final four as Germany's Anca Barna rallied for a 4-6 (7-6) (7-1), 6-4 victory over fourth-seeded Silvia Farina Elia of Italy.

No. 2 seed Vera Zvonareva of Russia completed the semifinal field with a 7-5, 7-5 decision over eighth-seed Maja Matevzic of Slovakia.

In Friday's semifinals, Dokic takes on Barna and Sprem faces Zvonareva.

First prize is $27,000.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
LMAO! Here's the other story on Yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-vienna&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dokic loses to Suarez in Vienna

June 12, 2003
VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Top-seeded Jelena Dokic was eliminated by Paola Suarez 7-6 (4), 6-2 in the quarterfinals at a $170,000 Grand Prix event Thursday.

It was the fifth loss in eight matches for Dokic, who dropped to 13-15 this season.

Suarez, who lost in the French Open doubles final last weekend, also beat Dokic in April in the Sarasota Classic. Suarez will next meet Karolina Sprem, an 18-year-old qualifier who beat seventh-seeded Denisa Chladkova 6-3, 6-2.

Sprem upset defending champion Anna Pistolesi a day earlier.

Anca Barna beat fourth-seeded Farina Elia 4-6, 7-6 (1), 6-4 to reach her first WTA semifinals in a year. She next plays second-seeded Vera Zvonareva, who beat eighth-seeded Maja Matevzic 7-5, 7-5.

Zvonareva, who defeated Venus Williams at the French Open, has a chance to take her second career title after winning in Croatia in April.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Croatian qualifier Karolina Sprem, who burst onto the scene last month when she reached the final of the Strasbourg Open, reached the semifinals with a 6-3, 6-2 upset of No. 7 Denisa Chladkova of the Czech Republic.

The 18-year-old Sprem did not win a main draw match in a WTA event before that surprise showing.
Makes me smile!!! :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Rocketta said:
uh uh uh someone needs to get fired for that first story! :eek: :eek: :eek: What match were they at?
Actually Rocketta, the story I posted was the earlier one posted on the Yahoo site. jd4eva's story is the latest one they have up there. LOL. This is funny.

·
Martina&Roger <3
7,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
LMFAO!!!! hell i'll take the first story, vamos!!!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
unfortunately Jelena can win just with a pc's mistake this year...what weird season!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
maryjane said:
unfortunately Jelena can win just with a pc's mistake this year...what weird season!
LMFAO! Ironic!

·
Senior Member,
2,093 Posts
I was just about to ask the same question. I just finished looking at the Yahoo! site. It's amazing how there can be too completely different stories on the same site.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
LMAO! A mistake is showing Jelena the winner... but then they go on an on in two articles on the win!

At least Paola is on the schedule for tomorrow. Good Luck Paola :wavey:

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
In discrepancies, Yahoo and their "Ticker" articles are in the wrong 99% of the time.

I've said it 100 times, and I'll say it again...never trust Yahoo!

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
MarcusRock said:
Actually Rocketta, the story I posted was the earlier one posted on the Yahoo site. jd4eva's story is the latest one they have up there. LOL. This is funny.
Ok that's just flat out pathetic!!! What going on over there?? Doesn't anyone have standards anymore? Geesh! Don't they read their own page?? LOL

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe Jelena has an astral body; hence, she can play two matches

simultaneously within the space/time contineuem! :worship:

LMAO!!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts