Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was intriqued by some of these posts, so I am asking who would win these match-ups n the 4 Major Surfaces: (Clay, Grass, Hard Court, & Indoor Carpet)
:devil:

1) Maria Bueno vs Monica Seles:

2) Margaret Court vs Venus Williams:

3) Ann Haydon-Jones vs Chris Evert:

4) Lesley Turner vs Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario.

5) Billie Jean King vs Serena Williams:

6) Virginia Wade vs Amelie Mauresmo:

7) Evonne Goolagong vs Gabriela Sabatini:

If they have been matched up before in discussion - I apologize.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think it's a great idea for a thread, at least you can elaborate about this match ups that unfortunately could never take place. It's something I (many others too I guess)have always dreamt of, to have the best players of every time play at their best, it would be nice wouldn't it?
As I really have not seen play almost any of the players you included, I'll keep waiting for the opinions of the elder guard here who have witnessed so many players :p

·
Registered
474 Posts
2) Margaret Court vs Venus Williams:

Madge on all surfaces.

I think Ann would only snatch a win from Chrissie indoors, because Evert hated it. On grass, I would give it to Evert, on the basis of her win over Court in Wimbledon 1973. Clay is a no-brainer, on hard also Chrissie (especially if it was the Evert of 1985-89).

6) Virginia Wade vs Amelie Mauresmo:

I don't know who would win, but I bet both would hold bundle loads of match points before either choking (Mauresmo) or imploding (Wade)!

·
25,093 Posts

I think Ann would only snatch a win from Chrissie indoors, because Evert hated it. On grass, I would give it to Evert, on the basis of her win over Court in Wimbledon 1973. Clay is a no-brainer, on hard also Chrissie (especially if it was the Evert of 1985-89).
I respectfully disagree about Ann's chances on clay. Yes, Evert would win a majority of the time IMO-I doubt few would debate that point. Ann was a holy terror on clay too though. She could last all day, had a nasty topped forehand, and may be the one person who had a drop shot that equaled Evert's.

Their matches would be tactical marvels.

LOL at your Mauresmo-Wade comment-so true!

·
Registered
980 Posts
1) Maria Bueno vs Monica Seles: This is a very intriguing matchup, as you have the master of spin and grace, though not necessarily known for her mental fortitude versus the queen of pace and awkwardness, with the mental tenacity of a pitbull. I would give Bueno the edge on grass because I could see her giving Seles fits with her ability to mix things up, however,I think that Seles' return would give her the edge on hard court and a grass court. I would pick Seles to win the majority of their matchups but Bueno would always be dangerous.

2) Margaret Court vs Venus Williams: I give the edge to Court. Venus just has more weaknesses to exploit, primarily the forehand and the second serve. Venus has the better speed, but Mags was no slouch in that department. I think that Court's stronger second serve would be the key in this match.

3) Ann Haydon-Jones vs Chris Evert: At first I would have picked Chrissie hands down, before recalling that Evert much preferred to play serve and volleyers to baseliners, especially good baseliners like Nancy Richey, Austin, Graf etc. Jones was definitely in the Austin/Richey category and those two gave her more fits than anyone this side of Nav. Add in Jones lefthandedness and I think we got a pretty even match. I would pick Chrissie to win this one about 6 out of 10 times.

4) Lesley Turner vs Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario: I think Turner's more sophisticated baseline game would have carried the day most of the time against Arantxa.

5) Billie Jean King vs Serena Williams: Serena, BJK might get a set based on sheer court sense, but at the end of the day Serena's greatness would get the best of BJK.

6) Virginia Wade vs Amelie Mauresmo: The languid Frenchwoman versus the tightly wound English maid? I would give it to "Our Ginny" based on sheer guts.

7) Evonne Goolagong vs Gabriela Sabatini: The battle of the second serves? The battle of the mental midgets? I would pick Gooly in this one because I find her to be more multidimensional and quick than Gaby. The more I think about this one the more I realize that everything Gaby did Gooly did better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts