Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
 

·
Diosa Contable
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
No idea. I would say Lisa Raymond, on the sheer number of times she goes to the net, even if she only wins say 50% of them, that's still plenty of points... as far as efficiency (No. of points won/No. of times approached the net) is probably someone like Conchita Martinez, that only ever goes to the net to finish up points, not to make them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,755 Posts
Yeah. There's a big difference between going to the net to put a short ball away than going to the net to make the point. Agassi is probably pretty productive at the net too.

So percentage vs. numbers is the dispute, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Yeah i forgot about Lisa Raymond. I guess somebody who serves and volleys would be leaders in this category. Geez.... is lisa the only woman serve and volleyer still left in the game??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tennisfan1972 said:
Yeah i forgot about Lisa Raymond. I guess somebody who serves and volleys would be leaders in this category. Geez.... is lisa the only woman serve and volleyer still left in the game??
Pretty much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
And she 's pretty good at it too. Check out her ranking, and that might tell you why more players aren't coming up as S&V'ers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
And she 's pretty good at it too. Check out her ranking, and that might tell you why more players aren't coming up as S&V'ers.
Lisa Raymond is from my part of the world (20 minutes away), and I disagree with her as an example of why more players aren't coming up as serve-and-volleyers. She is about 5'6", give or take an inch, and showed alot of promise when she came up through the college ranks. When she hit the pros, she played a few really tough matches against Graf, Novotna, and all the big players, but she never developed the mental toughness and aggressiveness to break through. She just didn't have it, and consequently, she moved into a doubles career, and is doing quite well.

I think one of the biggest problems with Lisa is her grips. She has extreme western grips on both forehand and backhand, and quite often gets caught with the speed of today's game and passing shots. I think if the training academies in Florida would teach gifted volleyers to play more along the Novotna / Navratilova style and grips, we'd soon see a new net rusher at the top of the game again!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
keep dreaming alfajeffster! serve and volliers are DEAD HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA....





































































MO-HAHAHAHAHA!






HAHAHAHAHA!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Vénus Williams is the best at the net since years and years :worship: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,084 Posts
What is quite surprising is that I watched this year's Rosmalen final between Justine & Kim, and Kim came to the net more then Justine did :eek: Pretty often...And was prettly good at the net. I wonder why she hadn't done it on hard courts :confused:
 

·
Diosa Contable
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Lisa Raymond is from my part of the world (20 minutes away), and I disagree with her as an example of why more players aren't coming up as serve-and-volleyers. She is about 5'6", give or take an inch, and showed alot of promise when she came up through the college ranks. When she hit the pros, she played a few really tough matches against Graf, Novotna, and all the big players, but she never developed the mental toughness and aggressiveness to break through. She just didn't have it, and consequently, she moved into a doubles career, and is doing quite well.

I think one of the biggest problems with Lisa is her grips. She has extreme western grips on both forehand and backhand, and quite often gets caught with the speed of today's game and passing shots. I think if the training academies in Florida would teach gifted volleyers to play more along the Novotna / Navratilova style and grips, we'd soon see a new net rusher at the top of the game again!
That's a fair assesment of Lisa Raymond. I have to say that I really enjoy her game and I try to catch her matches whenever I go to tournaments. I have noticed this year that she goes to the net much less than she used to, so I was actually a bit dissapointed. There's something very exciting about her kind of game, you see great passing shots or great volleying. Serve and volleying is her strenght even as if you say the game is faster these days. Another thing that slows her down aside from her grips is her footwork... particularly on clay, it's funny how she just doesn't slide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,077 Posts
Venus, Chanda, Lindsay was attacking the net a lot earlier this year, Hantuchova did, Jennifer was doing it a fair bit and Justine and Mauresmo use it solidly in their games.

I think S&V are lower today moreso because the passing shots from the other players are that good. With power and spin on the ball, it can be difficult to hit a good volley, therefore less girls using the net through choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Venus, Serena, Amelie, Chanda, Justine all take advantage of their shots with net rushes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
Stefan Edberg!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,264 Posts
highest in quantity per match-- lisa raymond guys... i doubt anyone's really close

winning percentage at net would prolly be venus/seles/davenport
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top