Tennis Forum banner

who will win?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
115,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one in the bottom half have been to a Wimbledon final. Both of these slam winners and former #1's have had good runs here before
Who makes the round of 16 in week 2 in the wide open bottom half?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Tough one. Vika can win this if she doesn't go on mental walkabout's mid-match and her serve is working, if not then its Halep :shrug:.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Reactions: Rena P

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
A real Round 3 banger this one, brings me back to a couple years ago when we would see these two meeting deep at slams. Well deeper than this anyway. Their previous two encounters were USO 2015 quarterfinals, which was a hell of a match that went on for almost 3 hours, and of course Wimbledon 2017 R4 which was much more one-sided in favor of Halep.

As far as what we can expect here, I have no clue, H2H is 2-2 but Azarenka's wins came before Halep made her breakthrough in 2013, also when she was arguably at or very close to her peak. So not match to get from that. As far as current form goes Azarenka showed better so far, but that might also be a match-up thing so I wouldn't put too much into it.

I expect a hopefully great match but there's also the possibility it will turn into a shiftfest that goes to whoever can hold serve. If she can keep it short Azarenka could come out victorious, but if it goes to three sets then it's Halep's to lose.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I want to say Vika based on form, but based on her matches since returning against players who play great defense, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Azarenka is playing top tennis here. She looks very very dangerous. Tough draw for my Romanian little diamond.
But I am rooting for her. Let's do it, Halep!!!!

·
Registered
115,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The winner might play Gauff, so that will be interesting in such a big match
See if Halep learned anything from Ostapenko.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts