(1) Barty & Riske
(11) S. Williams & (30) Navarro
Strycova & (21) Mertens
(19) Konta & (6) Kvitova
(8) Svitolina & (24) Martic
Muchova & (3) Pliskova
(7) Halep & Gauff
Zhang & Yastremska

Overall, I think Kvitova will win. Not many people have been paying attention on her and have instead been focusing on Barty, Pliskova and Serena. Kvitova does best when she isn't burdened by expectations and she is obviously always dangerous on grass, especially at Wimbledon which has always been the highlight of her career.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
QF:
Barty vs. Serena
Strycova vs. Kvitova
Martic vs. Ka. Pliskova
Halep vs. Zhang

SF:
Serena vs. Kvitova
Ka. Pliskova vs. Halep

F:
Kvitova vs. Ka. Pliskova

Winner: Kvitova

Probably very unlikely but if Petra can get through JoKo I see her making SF at least, and then Serena or Ash could be tricky but anything is possible from there. I have either Kvitova or Serena as my winner now though

·
Premium Member
44,100 Posts
My thoughts

Barty vs Riske

If you think Barty should win easily you could be wrong. Riske has won S-Hertogenbosch in beating Muchova (herself in the second week of Wimbledon), Hercog, Alexandrova, Kudermetova, Bertens, and reached Wimbledon 4th round in beating Vekic, Jorovic (who played her best), Bencic. Her only defeat was to Badosa in Mallorca in 3 hard fought sets. The three setters is a constant with her, her only win in 2 sets was over Alexandrova. And it's not up and down kind of sets, it's more of 3 sets fight from start to finish. It means she wins a lot with fighting spirit but more accurately with a perfect balance of focus and game suited to grass. It makes of Riske a very dangerous opponent and the possibility that she gives trouble to Barty wouldn't come so much of a surprise, even if by typical contrast, Barty has won all of her matches in 2 sets on grass so far. She's not messing up! She won Birmingham with wins over Vekic, Brady, Venus Williams, Strycova and Goerges. To beat Vekic in 2 sets while it needed hard fought 3 sets to Riske in the first round of Wimbledon may be an indication of a marge between the two competitors. Also the win in 2 sets over Strycova (who is still in the 4th round Wimbledon) may be an indication. As for her Wimbledon run so far, Barty may have yet to face a really challenging opponent. Zheng, the inconsistent Van Uytvanck and Harriet Dart, may not belong to these challenges (give that draw to Wozniacki or Svitolina and they become the luckiest players of all time). I'd say Van Uytvanck could be a real challenge but thing is she plays Barty's alley but with a step below and without the confidence (Chris Evert's new favorite word) that has brought Barty to another level completely since her win at the French Open.

Riske will be another kind of challenge, able to deal with variety, a player who knows how to keep the shots in the court on grass (with only a small percentage of mistakes here and there), and setting a constant pressure on her opponent with her own kind of shots, and she's pretty good at the net too. What Barty has that Riske doesn't have, is punch. A big forehand, a big serve. Riske has her string of aces as well from time to time, but not as regularly as the Australian.

So! Barty in 2? Maybe, maybe not. Barty in 3? Possibly. Riske in 3? Possibly! Riske in 2? Very unlikely. What is certain is that nothing is written in advance.

While Bencic (who would have been a challenge for Barty as well) seemed to have the upper game to beat Riske, at the moment she faced a break point against her, Riske took it to win the second set. And while Bencic had taken a lead in the third (3-0), Riske came back to win the match. So Barty better be careful. She's not messing up, but her opponent will always be there if she ever does mess up a little bit, which is of course not something to wish in any way.

The biggest surprise of course would be to see Riske dominating Barty from start to finish. I can't see that. That's not how Riske worked against any opponent so far. She brings any of them to a fighting zone where she ends to win. Barty should avoid to be brought to that zone. It's certainly the pit to avoid for her against Riske.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can see a Barty / Kvitova / Pliskova / Halep semis; but I wouldn't even put huge money on that; Williams is past a big Goerges hurdle and is one person who could worry Barty; Pliskova hasn't yet found the form that saw her destroy Kerber at Eastbourne; and the crowd hysteria behind Gauff could easily see Halep do a Hercog-level choke.

hmm, looks like Kvitova is the only one I seem to have much confidence in!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My thoughts

Barty vs Riske

If you think Barty should win easily you could be wrong. Riske has won S-Hertogenbosch in beating Muchova (herself in the second week of Wimbledon), Hercog, Alexandrova, Kudermetova, Bertens, and reached Wimbledon 4th round in beating Vekic, Jorovic (who played her best), Bencic. Her only defeat was to Badosa in Mallorca in 3 hard fought sets. The three setters is a constant with her, her only win in 2 sets was over Alexandrova. And it's not up and down kind of sets, it's more of 3 sets fight from start to finish. It means she wins a lot with fighting spirit but more accurately with a perfect balance of focus and game suited to grass. It makes of Riske a very dangerous opponent and the possibility that she gives trouble to Barty wouldn't come so much of a surprise, even if by typical contrast, Barty has won all of her matches in 2 sets on grass so far. She's not messing up! She won Birmingham with wins over Vekic, Brady, Venus Williams, Strycova and Goerges. To beat Vekic in 2 sets while it needed hard fought 3 sets to Riske in the first round of Wimbledon may be an indication of a marge between the two competitors. Also the win in 2 sets over Strycova (who is still in the 4th round Wimbledon) may be an indication. As for her Wimbledon run so far, Barty may have yet to face a really challenging opponent. Zheng, the inconsistent Van Uytvanck and Harriet Dart, may not belong to these challenges (give that draw to Wozniacki or Svitolina and they become the luckiest players of all time). I'd say Van Uytvanck could be a real challenge but thing is she plays Barty's alley but with a step below and without the confidence (Chris Evert's new favorite word) that has brought Barty to another level completely since her win at the French Open.

Riske will be another kind of challenge, able to deal with variety, a player who knows how to keep the shots in the court on grass (with only a small percentage of mistakes here and there), and setting a constant pressure on her opponent with her own kind of shots, and she's pretty good at the net too. What Barty has that Riske doesn't have, is punch. A big forehand, a big serve. Riske has her string of aces as well from time to time, but not as regularly as the Australian.

So! Barty in 2? Maybe, maybe not. Barty in 3? Possibly. Riske in 3? Possibly! Riske in 2? Very unlikely. What is certain is that nothing is written in advance.

While Bencic (who would have been a challenge for Barty as well) seemed to have the upper game to beat Riske, at the moment she faced a break point against her, Riske took it to win the second set. And while Bencic had taken a lead in the third (3-0), Riske came back to win the match. So Barty better be careful. She's not messing up, but her opponent will always be there if she ever does mess up a little bit, which is of course not something to wish in any way.

The biggest surprise of course would be to see Riske dominating Barty from start to finish. I can't see that. That's not how Riske worked against any opponent so far. She brings any of them to a fighting zone where she ends to win. Barty should avoid to be brought to that zone. It's certainly the pit to avoid for her against Riske.
Nice analysis.

Like you said Riske has the fighting spirit but lacks the punch.
The players that have beaten Ash or caused her problems this year are big hitters (or Halep/Mladenovic on clay). We might see a single close set but the result i think would be NID watching the match.
I predict Ash will get another fast start in first set and win it easily but the score line would be tighter second set after Riske gets into the match rhythm.

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
I misunderstood the question, it took me a while to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
44,100 Posts
Nice analysis.

Like you said Riske has the fighting spirit but lacks the punch.
The players that have beaten Ash or caused her problems this year are big hitters (or Halep/Mladenovic on clay). We might see a single close set but the result i think would be NID watching the match.
I predict Ash will get another fast start in first set and win it easily but the score line would be tighter second set after Riske gets into the match rhythm.
another thing I should have pointed out in my comments is Alison's ability to serve and volley. She doesn't do that often and probably favors to mix things up to surprise her opponents, but each time she served and volleyed, it was very well done and quite effective. It could be a brave and effective thing to do against Barty as well. I guess she'll discuss that with her coach. ;)

·
Registered
115,518 Posts
I think the Barty/Serena winner plays yastremska in the final
But I'm rooting for Zhang, who played very well after being down 04
Qiang was so close to beating Mertens and playing Strycova. There was a real chance for 2 players from China in the final 8.
Thats a good sign for the WTA going forward

·
Registered
19,220 Posts
I think Barty is the favourite right now. Kvitova always has the asterisk if she can sustain 7 back to back matches this week.

I like the very last option. :lol:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
(1) Barty & Riske
(11) S. Williams & (30) Navarro
Strycova & (21) Mertens
(19) Konta & (6) Kvitova
(8) Svitolina & (24) Martic
Muchova & (3) Pliskova
(7) Halep & Gauff
Zhang & Yastremska

SF Barty d Strycova
SF Pliskova d Halep

FI Barty d Pliskova

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
Kvitova vulturing another Wimbledon is worst case scenario.
It would be Serena Williams servebotting her way to the victory. :eek:h:

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
2,635 Posts
I’ve no idea who will win, but these are the ones I’d like to see holding the trophy:
1. Serena (my all-time fave)
2. Coco
3. Barty or Halep
4. Kvitova

Svitolina and Pliskova bore me, but both are hardworking so I’d have to try not to be bitter if either wins.

Konta and Riske both annoy the hell outta me. Hate Riske’s grunting. Hate Konta’s weird superstitions/habits—not stepping on the lines, bouncing the ball up to her chin. And yes, I fully acknowledge these to be silly reasons to not like these two players.

I don’t have much faith in Suarez Navarro winning. She’s been on the tour for ages and to see her win Wimbledon out of the blue would be strange to me. I doubt Yastremska can go much further (though I do like her).

As for the others, I don’t have much opinion about them. I’ve never even seen Zhang play.

These are the eight I’d like to see reach the quarters after tomorrow: Yastremska, Martic, Barty, Mertens, Muchova, Serena, Coco, Kvitova, but I doubt it will play out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Kvitova vulturing another Wimbledon is worst case scenario.
I know Petra destroyed Genie tennis carrier but on the other side she also extends Genie's free time for photoshopped bikini job ... so not quite sure why you are still complaining ...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Barty
Serena
Strycova
Kvitova
Martic
Pliskova
Halep
Yastremska

·
Registered
324 Posts
All my faves already gone, leaving me hoping for Martic. Pliskova will take it.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu
1 - 20 of 29 Posts