Tennis Forum banner

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
112,699 Posts
Serena is turning 38. After NY, only 1 major until next May/June when she is only a few months from 39
So its almost now or never.
I dont see Osaka repeating. But its possible if her draw is lucky
Dont see Halep winning 2 in a row
Barty doesnt look like she is comfortable near #1
If its none of those 4 and it probably is none of them, its as wide open as ever. Maybe Kuznetsova or Andreescu

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can Keys finally win a slam???...
Is Andreescu or Kenin too "new" to win a slam??...

those 3 seem to be favorites based on the US Open series results, but is any of them ready???...

Barty, Osaka, Pliskova, Halep etc all seem very up and down by top players standards...

I predict Serena will be in the final and lose yet again...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Serena is turning 38. After NY, only 1 major until next May/June when she is only a few months from 39
So its almost now or never.
I dont see Osaka repeating. But its possible if her draw is lucky
Dont see Halep winning 2 in a row
Barty doesnt look like she is comfortable near #1
If its none of those 4 and it probably is none of them, its as wide open as ever. Maybe Kuznetsova or Andreescu
Didn't Kuznetsova just chock a lead in both sets....TWICE?????

·
Registered
112,699 Posts
Didn't Kuznetsova just chock a lead in both sets....TWICE?????
Yes, she was up 53 both sets. If you watched her career, she did that a lot. 2 straight French Opens she had match point on the winner, Myskina and Henin and lost the match, and they won the title. But then Sveta won that title a little later

·
Blighted and solo
43,896 Posts
Serena

·
Registered
16,196 Posts
in a couple of hours, US Open will be over for some players. They will be knocked out of the Qualifying Round and will have a wonderful 2-week vacation in New York.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My expert opinion says we have to go with Serena, obviously. If she's healthy. For a nearly 39 yo part-time player reaching 3 GS finals in last 2 seasons it's ridiculous. I saw enough from her in Toronto to suggest she is fit. Match against Osaka was very impressive. And then she was done with back spasms. 2 things can stop her in NYC - injury and nerves in the final, again.

Osaka would be a logical shout but there are question marks about her knee. Halep has a poor record @ Flushing Meadows and is too busy with her 40 yo BF now. I don't rate Barty as top player despite her winning Roland Garros. She beat one top 30 player there, so... and has not proved as someone who beats the best on regular basis.

Kaja had her chance in 2016 when she blew break lead in 3rd against Pushber. It's over for her. Bertens has been AWOL since Roland Garros and I say it despite Kiki making 2 International finals. She choked them both and beat bunch of nobodies en route.

You have to look at the likes of Keys (F+SF last 2 years + full of confidence and smarter tactics) & Sloane. Yes, the one who has been tanking all summer but, getting rid of Sven and being back to pusher could bring her hunger back. Bianca is an interesting one but we haven't seen anything from her in Slams yet, so I would be cautious. Kenin I don't see as Slam winner. She will be solid player for years to come with her decent and smart game but doesn't have a wow factor.

So this leaves us with SaiSai. Just kidding...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Can Keys finally win a slam???...
Is Andreescu or Kenin too "new" to win a slam??...

those 3 seem to be favorites based on the US Open series results, but is any of them ready???...

Barty, Osaka, Pliskova, Halep etc all seem very up and down by top players standards...

I predict Serena will be in the final and lose yet again...
And when was the last time the US Open series results translated into great US Open results? I swear some users... Also Barty, Halep and Pliskova are the top 3 players in the race, so how are the top 3 players of the year too up and down by top player standards? I mean that list includes the top player with the longest active top 10 streak (Halep) and pretty sure Pliskova has the second longest so you are just saying stuff there to say stuff.

No top 10 player should be ignored or forgotten for this question. And I'd actually extend that to the top 20, maybe with a few names taken out (sorry Sevastova). Basically there's a better chance the winner is one of Osaka, Barty, Pliskova or Halep than not.

·
Registered
687 Posts
No top 10 player should be ignored or forgotten for this question. And I'd actually extend that to the top 20, maybe with a few names taken out (sorry Sevastova). Basically there's a better chance the winner is one of Osaka, Barty, Pliskova or Halep than not.
Svitolina should be ignored. Until she proves she can do damage in Slams. And real one not Wimbledon gift with cramping, injured and tired opponents. This girl was bageled by Sevastova last year. No other top 10 player has done that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
And when was the last time the US Open series results translated into great US Open results? I swear some users... Also Barty, Halep and Pliskova are the top 3 players in the race, so how are the top 3 players of the year too up and down by top player standards? I mean that list includes the top player with the longest active top 10 streak (Halep) and pretty sure Pliskova has the second longest so you are just saying stuff there to say stuff.

I never said that it led great US Open results...what i was saying is basically who I'm most impressed by based on the US Open series...but do they predict the winners??..not really...and the "top 3" players ARE up and down...none of them went far in both Cincinnati and Canada...the only person that went far is both is Kenin...so, she seems to be the consistent right now...i still don't think she's ready to win a slam, but...i'm talking about recent results, not results throughout the whole year...the top players are up and down recently...

·
Registered
187 Posts
If her knee is good, Osaka is my pick. Judging from what we have rn Keys or Serena. Andreescu is my dark horse though. Pliskova also an interesting option, I think she'll make Semis.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts