Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's be honest, ask any player if they would prefer to win an asterisked Grand Slam or not a Grand Slam, and I bet all would say to win one however imperfect the circumstances may be. Assuming it goes ahead this year in August / September and that all who can play do play, who would be best placed to take advantage of the extraordinary situation? Given the lack of match practice in the runup, the lack of spectators, and the unusual atmosphere, my guess would be someone familiar with the courts but doesn't handle well the pressure of a crowd (be it for or against) and whose game does not need a lot of pre-tournament match practice to find their rhythm. Madison Keys could well fit in as her game does nto rely on rhythm or consistency, she has been keeping active in training, and the home crowd pressure could be gone. I wouldn't go for Serena (needs more practice beforehand and loves a crowd) or Andreescu (needs more practice). Perhaps Osaka as she doesn't seem to care about the crowd but she seems to have other things on her mind lately. On the men's side, I can safely say that it would be Djoker again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Kiki Bertens, a dream senario for her, no crowds, wouldn't matter what court she was put on.

Infact, any player who gets nervous in big matches, with a big crowd.

Seriously though, the usual suspects will float to the top as they know how to deal with the big moments.
Bianca will definitely want to defend, so she will be trying, Sofia will want to prove the Aussie Open wasn't a fluke, so she will go deep, and expect a random slam run by someone, it's the W.T.A. after all.

Not having 20,000 people supporting Serena if she got to the final, might help her too, because i think in recent slam finals she has been trying almost to much, no crowd might actually help her, and if she wins it, she'll definitely take it, it will count like any other slam, just unusual conditions.

That's assuming it goes ahead of course.

·
Registered
31,043 Posts
Idk if crowds are the problem for Keys, or more just the pressure of big moments. She's had a lot of success in the US, which indicates favorable crowds may actually help her. That said, I could see her doing well in this still very hypothetical scenario, or maybe Scone could pull another 2017 too if she has managed to stay somewhat in shape.

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
Any player that has shown she can comeback to elite level within days after months off (Andreescu or Serena in the past) and players like Bertens that will thrive in Eddie Err U16 conditions.

That tournament will be asterisked to say the least.

·
Registered
113,362 Posts
I think Kenin, on her way to the 3 majors calendar slam of 2020!

·
it's just me against the music.
27,186 Posts
Echoing everyone above - who the heck knows? But this does seem to fit Serena's MO and why she's always been so great in Australia. She can fight through the rust and use her competitive spirit.

But does that now fit Kenin's model? Consistent?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
lol. I agree with Elina :D. I can picture everyone playing shit tennis and out of form and then someone like her, with a very discreet peak level but consistent enough not to hit 30 UEs/match and with great stamina outlasting the rest. Kenin fits that mold too.

Any player that has shown she can comeback to elite level within days after months off (Andreescu or Serena in the past) and players like Bertens that will thrive in Eddie Err U16 conditions.

That tournament will be asterisked to say the least.
Serena's comebacks will only get increasingly harder, and Andreescu could have lost any of her matches in the early rounds in Toronto and then it would have been back to square one, or at least she probably wouldn't have won the USO. It's just too early to tell with her if she's going to be the kind of player having thunderous comebacks a la Serena, as undoubtedly impressive her Toronto+USO runs were.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Osaka also won her first slam after 3 consecutive defeats, I am sure that she has something to proof. She is not defending anything, and Kobe's death is not too fresh on her mind like it was at the Fed Cup. I see that se and her hitting partner always training or this days, with her sister.

Andreescu is very confident, her body has healed up, although she said the other day that the courts were still closed.
Serena... not really sure, her IG and that of hubby is just full of them baking all types of no-good carbohydrates.
Keys definitely has a change, seems to be eating healthy and getting fit with Bjorn, the same with Sloane.

You just never know with some of these players, I think Kenin is the only who doesn't play some of these coy games.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think this could lead us to a good thread- which players would perform best in an empty stadium, and who would perform worse? This maybe a scenario we will see soon.

BTW - I have no idea!

·
Registered
113,362 Posts
The empty stadium might have an effect. Also who prepared best off this long layoff and is in the right mental state to play their best
Its an interesting situation because it will count. It will count for the men also, and Nadal will have to get himself mentally ready, especially for Paris in October. Djokovic won 5 of the last 7. If he can squeeze in 2 this autumn, he can get to 21 in 2021
Serena also, maybe she will appreciate the time off. Maybe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts