·
Registered
52,483 Posts
Probably Serena.

But I'm rooting for Bianca all the way. :angel:

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
We now know there are 2 Serenas: The pusher and the power-player.
1/ In London: she was a pusher for 2 sets.
2/ Against Osaka: it's was power-tennis for 2 sets.
3/ Against Boozkova: the pusher showed up in the first set. And the power-player stepped on the court in the last 2 sets.

So against Andreescu, it depends on whether Serena will push or play power-tennis. The pusher will lose. To win, she's got to play 2 power-tennis sets.

That's all folks.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Andreescu has brought drama and antics to a new level on the WTA, but Serena can make a show of her own and I don't think she will at all be amused if Bianca brings out her bag of tricks in this match.

Andreescu will probably win imho. Andreescu is the moonball queen and Serena won't be able to dominate from inside the court off those balls, and then Bianca follows up those moonballs with fantastic dropshots that Serena won't be able to get to.

Just when you think you've figured out Bianca's moonballs and dropshots, she whacks the ball with some real power too. She also defends really well, especially with the slice.

I think she has too much tenacity and variety for this 2019 Serena, especially the one who has been less than fantastic in finals.

Serena really can't afford to have a bad serving day at all. That's probably the key to the match really. I think Serena will punish Andreescu's serve and if her own is firing Bianca won't have much of a say.

If Bianca gets too predictable with her moonballs then Serena will find a way around it, so keeping Serena guessing and off-balance is really important.

I just hope the drama doesn't overshadow the tennis (it probably will though).

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
Its the match that should have that stadium overflowing! Who wins this title?
Have no idea and frankly at this point I'm already satisfied at Serena's performance. She beat Osaka with great movement, aces working as needed and overall good match. With Maria she showed that the fight is still there even though she was down big time. Whether she decided to not play Cincy or not is irrelevant at this point. I kind of think she could use some practice since she knows what she needs to work on.

Get this #24 Queen.

Reactions: calipolo

·
Registered
33,069 Posts

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
Until Serena proves she can bring a winners mentality in a final (any final) since her comeback I'm so reluctant to pick her. Desperately hoping she can win though and hoping its a great battle. Call me a clown but I guess I'm picking Serena in 3 - watch her lose 0 and 1 now :rolleyes:

So maybe you shouldn't vote at all.

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
Bianca will send the old lady to her baby’s NURSERY.
Frankly I don't think Serena cares about this one one way or another. She's got what she came here for.

·
Registered
33,069 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Bianca has the type of game to employ Cornet-type tactics: use a heavy spin FH deep to push Serena back and prevent her from sitting on the baseline, change the pace in rallies and stop her from getting too much of a rhythm, exploit Serena's declined movement with drop shots. Serena can struggle against this type of style from Stosur, Kuznetsova, Cornet, and others.

It's definitely not a given with Serena's mental baggage in finals.

Everything tells me Bianca will probably win this, but I hope to be wrong. Truly hope Serena remembers how to close out tournaments and finals.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
For Bianca to win, she will have to improve her serving drastically. It has been getting worse throughout the tournament, first serve has mostly abandoned her. And she will need to move better as well than she did in the semis. She was often lazy with the footwork, definitely consequence of fatigue.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Serena is long overdue and whether she wins or loses, she will be dictating and in control.

I am very certain she will be come ahead on this one, in fact, I don't think it will be even close, perhaps 2 and 2.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
When was the last time Serena played a final with 100% of the crowd against her? Should be a laugh.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I hope Bianca takes 27 MTO and wins.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Do you think Serena will retire if the diminutive Romanian will steamroll her in the final the same way Halep did?

Hi TWAT winner :wavey:

Didn't Serena steamroll Halep in the YEC final :tape:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts