Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard about all the new cases of SARS in Toronto. I hope the tournament still goes on, but I was wondering would it be better to cancel it because of the possible spread, and the neck to neck seating of tennis matches? I would hope my faves who are both scheduled to play, would attend. However, I have a feeling that alot of Americans will be pulling out if the SARS situation escalates in that area. What do you think? Who will pull out first?

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
well, aren't there still other sports event being held in Toronto like hockey or baseball, aren't there still concerts? why should they make an exception for tennis?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
And everyone used to laugh at Michael Jackson for wearing that surgical mask over his face in public. Shame on you all. Michael showed everyone the way.

On an unrelated note, Michael Jackson =

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Harloo :wavey: I actually thought of this yesterday when i heard that news..I for one, won't be visiting Toronto anytime soon..sorry Bec- that visit is out ;) And i hope they do careful check of folks coming to NY from Toronto because all i need is a break out here :(

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
if they havent' found a cure or at least a test or something then I hope venus and serena pull out because it is defintely not worth it.

·
25,469 Posts
Good lord-you folks sound like the "so and so needs to pull out of Doha-Dubai" crowd before the recent war.

Toronto is at least 3 months away. If SARS is still a threat in Toronto at that time you can bet New York won't be "safe" either.

You might as well ask Venus and Serena to pull out of the US Open too Cybelle ;) Of course the US Open can use Kart and DH's suggestion. I think culling the ushers would be a great idea. Let the fans seat themelves wothout paying $50 for a decent seat.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
You people make it sound like Toronto has closed off mass sections to protect people from "SARS". There's like a grand total of 20 confirmed cases there, and precautions have been taken. I doubt anyone will get SARS because of this.

Harloo I actually thought of this yesterday when i heard that news..I for one, won't be visiting Toronto anytime soon..sorry Bec- that visit is out And i hope they do careful check of folks coming to NY from Toronto because all i need is a break out here

Incase you haven't noticed, there have been cases in the States already, so they might as well carefully check everyone coming in there. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
I think none of the players should go outside... it's way too dangerous.

They should play the rest of the year with the Fantasy Games on this board.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
Im from Canada.. yeh SARS thingnis freaky but still you gotta live your life...
i think [hope] it'll be over by then

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
I highly doubt it unless the situation worsens by then.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Rollo said:
Good lord-you folks sound like the "so and so needs to pull out of Doha-Dubai" crowd before the recent war.

Toronto is at least 3 months away. If SARS is still a threat in Toronto at that time you can bet New York won't be "safe" either.

You might as well ask Venus and Serena to pull out of the US Open too Cybelle ;) Of course the US Open can use Kart and DH's suggestion. I think culling and the ushers would be a great idea. Let the fans seat themelves wothout paying $50 for a decent seat.
Ah Rollo :), I deleted my culling comment as I thought it a bit insensitive to Canadian posters in Toronto. Still, you've summed up my feeling on this topic - Toronto isn't exactly a million miles away from New York. With the proximity of the Canadian and US tournaments in time as well as space, one having mass withdrawal will surely lead to the other having the same.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Look - yes SARS is a problem in Toronto, but it's not a wide spread thing.. yet. There have been reports of people going on the Go Transit system without realizing that they could be infecting people, etc etc, but so far they have kept it very well contained. You can't even go into a health clinic in Ontario without seeing huge signs covering up the entire door telling you NOT to enter if you have "the following symptoms" or have been to the "following hospitals". They have special hotlines and clinics set up for it, they are doing a very good job imo. I am not concerned about my own health, no more concerned than I usually am.

I have taken the greyhound in the past week, went through the Toronto bus terminal (which is walking distance from the metro hospitals - not the Scraborough ones though), and thought nothing of it... no more than I usually do. Granted, I got sick ;) But I merely have a head cold.

Furthermore, the tournament is three months away. Who knows what the situation will be at that point.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Might I also add:

There was a case where a nurse at one of the Toronto hospitals with SARS commuted from a city that I was in for a while. Her son was part of the same facility as I, and entering the very same buildings as I... this got written about in the papers, and some people were very concerned. I thought nothing of it, and later it turns out he was clear for SARS.

Yes you should be aware about things like this, but you can't let it stop your life. Not unless it gets out on the streets on a large scale, THEN I will worry.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
No i'm sure it will..but for the time being anyway we are SARS free. Anyhoo I think by the time the Rogers Cup comes around they will have more of a handle on SARS.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts