Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Pegula

Votes: 9 14.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By career, I mean in singles (as we know Krejcikova is a very accomplished multislam doubles winner and #1).
They are not all in the same age category but all of them could be considered to some content as of 'late bloomers'.

Brady is most accomplished so far for me with the biggest game and peak from the group, SF and F of gs, she can be a solid TOP15 player in upcoming years, maybe even regular TOP10 player.
Pegula and Krejcikova seem under continuous development last year and I like the work behind it. Both becoming solid threats on the tour.
Podroska seems yet to be a one-slam wonder however her game looks also very nice when it's on. But from that group, I would predict her the worst career before her.

My list:
Brady
Krejcikova
Pegula
Podorska

Reactions: andreescufan

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Crystal ball foggy, random dice throw indicated Pegula. "2019 Kenin vibes".

All of the players have made their upward move during the last year or so. Brady is the biggest hitter and clearly the most accomplished, but I think she will be slightly outclassed by similar in-form players in the big tournaments unless and until she hones her killer instinct. Pegula is the one that strikes me as the closest to a "natural born winner" of the group, so that's why I think she will make the most of her opportunities now that she is established on this level.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brady and Krejcikova are 25. *PODOROSKA is 24. I wouldn't really consider them as late bloomers....
Yes, good call out, however, I don't consider late bloomers in kind of negative way. Maybe could be changed to hard workers, players who don't come up with the biggest talent as the teens but did not quit rather than continue to work on their improvements, trying to be better and better until they made relatively good results. In that aspect, 25 years is averagely probably quite over the age when the majority of TOP30, TOP20 players are established on the tour. Late bloomers or hard workers, the wording does not matter at all, I think they deserve more appreciation in general.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I voted for Brady mainly because as a big hitting baseliner she will benefit the most because of the much greater number of HC tourneys. Pegula looks like she will be a very steady player.....lacks the weapons maybe of the others but won't beat herself. Podorska of course had great RG run last year and Krejcikova also been taking steps forward each year. All four of them are still young....may just be maturing into top level talents...after all the tendency now is for the girls to win at later ages.

Average age of top 100 is almost 25 and average age of top 300 is almost 26. These girls are examples of steady progress..... of movement of WTA away from teenage sensations taking over the tour. Any...or all four of them could easily have big wins on tour. Cheers....good thread by the way....good topic.

·
Art & Futures
21,957 Posts
I voted for Brady mainly because as a big hitting baseliner she will benefit the most because of the much greater number of HC tourneys. Pegula looks like she will be a very steady player.....lacks the weapons maybe of the others but won't beat herself. Podorska of course had great RG run last year and Krejcikova also been taking steps forward each year. All four of them are still young....may just be maturing into top level talents...after all the tendency now is for the girls to win at later ages.

Average age of top 100 is almost 25 and average age of top 300 is almost 26. These girls are examples of steady progress..... of movement of WTA away from teenage sensations taking over the tour. Any...or all four of them could easily have big wins on tour. Cheers....good thread by the way....good topic.
i think this stems from the growth of physical training, coaching, and mental health

Reactions: andreescufan

·
Banned
180 Posts
Believe all are crap. I with Pegula or Podorovska. Krejcikova is talented but does not seem to take it seriously. Brady is the most limited, if she can't serve she's doomed.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
It looks like Podoroska had a good FRench Open and not much more at least so far ...let’s see what she does during the clay season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think Brady will have the best career. I think Brady has great potential, but she is almost too reliant on her serve. She could benefit from playing more doubles with a reliable partner. I think that has helped Flipkens the last few years. I put Krejcikova 2nd because I think she has the talent especially because she was able hold her own against Muguruza, but, I don't think she was taking her career seriously up until her big breakthrough at Roland Garros. My problem with Krejcikova in the past was instead of focusing on playing singles, there were weeks where she could have been playing the higher level ITFs, but she would follow around Siniakova to play WTA Doubles. Now she seems to be more focused on her singles career and I think based on her game and the doubles experience she definitely has the most potential as long as she stays more focused on her singles career and puts less focus in to her doubles career. I really would like to see Podoroska to play better, but, so far she looks like her Roland Garros performance will be her only great performance since she barely can make it to the QFs in lower tier WTA tournaments in which she is a top 2 seed. Pegula, I'll admit I've never been a big fan of but based on what I've seen I would rank her above Podoroska at the moment, but given that she's 27, I don't see her doing much more than a few lower tier titles. I don't see her winning a Grand Slam title.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
...My problem with Krejcikova in the past was instead of focusing on playing singles, there were weeks where she could have been playing the higher level ITFs, but she would follow around Siniakova to play WTA Doubles. Now she seems to be more focused on her singles career and I think based on her game and the doubles experience she definitely has the most potential as long as she stays more focused on her singles career and puts less focus in to her doubles career.
She has won five Grand Slam titles in doubles, which is more than most players in the whole of tennis history. I get what you're saying, but I highly doubt that she will stop playing doubles, or even reduce her participation to any great extent.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My problem with Krejcikova in the past was instead of focusing on playing singles, there were weeks where she could have been playing the higher level ITFs, but she would follow around Siniakova to play WTA Doubles. Now she seems to be more focused on her singles career and I think based on her game and the doubles experience she definitely has the most potential as long as she stays more focused on her singles career and puts less focus in to her doubles career.
Yeah the problem is as your singles and doubles rankings reach a wide difference you end up literally having to be in two places at the same time and it becomes more and more tricky to keep the singles ranking afloat. I remember Gaby Dabrowski complaining about this a couple of years ago. Of course the obvious solution to Gaby's complaints would be you should maybe win more singles matches but heigh ho.:p Barbora seems more relaxed about the whole thing (she seems more relaxed about most things) but she had the same issue - and last season Asia looked like she might be reaching the same territory.

I'm not sure Babs has actually put increased focus on her singles rather than things have just finally clicked into place. I would agree with AwonderfulKiwi above I would be quite surprised if she reduced her doubles participation. Anyone playing XD at the AO every year surely ain't in it for the money. :p

Anyway I don't honestly know who will be most successful out of these players.

Jen Brady probably is the most obvious answer- if keeps this level can kill on hardcourt (also pretty comfortable on the grass iirc) but 6 months still isn't enough to convince me she is going to stay at this level. She did quite well against Naomi but I would quite like a match against Maddie to truly judge where her All American bashing level is currently at.:p

If it's down to attitude Pegula probably is the most impressive recently. But I hope its Babs. Not with any great expectation but I hope.:LOL:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems after 3 months of my call out about those 4 players Krej is moving to the lead short next to Brady while Bara may have a totally different chance comparing to Jennifer playing Osaka in the GS HC final.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
It seems after 3 months of my call out about those 4 players Krej is moving to the lead short next to Brady while Bara may have a totally different chance comparing to Jennifer playing Osaka in the GS HC final.
It looks like the debate is over at least for now

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
She has won five Grand Slam titles in doubles, which is more than most players in the whole of tennis history. I get what you're saying, but I highly doubt that she will stop playing doubles, or even reduce her participation to any great extent.
Good call, me! Make that SIX grand slam doubles titles. :love:

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Interesting that the unkown player has a GS instead of Brady or Pegula, who has the most votes.
But I dont expect more GS, she is a one slam wonder the same as all those other last GS winners

1 - 17 of 17 Posts