• Andreescu

Votes: 104 83.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andreescu won a big title while Bouchard reached a Slam final, both are young and have many years to come, so which Canadian player will have the better career?

·
always getting what i want
17,836 Posts
Brianna has still got to prove that she can carry this form into the Grand Slams. Genie has already proven that, several times over.

Reactions: Siegerin

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
So basically, the question is do we think Andreescu can make a slam final or better? Because Bouchard's not improving her career stats anymore....

Yeah, I think Andreescu. Even if she doesn't do much more this year, she has a realistic decade to string together a big slam result, and she's close to winning more consecutive matches than Bouchard ever did (Nurnberg MM and French SF in '14).

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Brianna has still got to prove that she can carry this form into the Grand Slams. Genie has already proven that, several times over.
Of course..... with a bagel in a GS final :happy:

Well done Petra

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
Bouchard is going back to her for a modelling career now, she isn't even a tennis player so there's no comparison.

Reactions: Exiliado

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Bianca. Her IW title is already bigger than Bouchard's slam semifinals, let's be honest.

Bouchard will never be the player she was in 2014. But she will likely have sort of a comeback to top 20, maybe even top 10. However I don't think her game copes well with the new generation of players who are 3-6 years younger than her.

It's taking too much time to Genie to rebrand herself and her tennis. It's been 5 years - too long to still have her on the radar for slams and Tier I titles.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
Bianca. Her IW title is already bigger than Bouchard's slam semifinals, let's be honest.

Bouchard will never be the player she was in 2014. But she will likely have sort of a comeback to top 20, maybe even top 10. However I don't think her game copes well with the new generation of players who are 3-6 years younger than her.

It's taking too much time to Genie to rebrand herself and her tennis. It's been 5 years - too long to still have her on the radar for slams and Tier I titles.
Eugenie hasn't been able to grow as a player and develop her game. She's still doing the exact same things she was doing in 2014, with much less success because everyone figured her out. Her career is unique in the sense that nobody had a season like her 2014's only to immediately disappear and never be a factor ever again. She looks motivated nowadays but it isn't looking good when you fight your heart out only to lose to Flipkens. There's no way she's coming back to the top 20, there's way too much players that are unbothered by her game and the competition is much tougher than it was in 2014. The younger players all hit harder than her or have more variety.

The field will find Bianca's weaknesses at some point but she can play every shot so the impact will be less significant. She plays the tennis of the future as one-dimensional players will most likely be left behind. Andreescu doesn't need a Slam final to best Bouchard as a few years in the top 10 or even top 20 would be more impressive than the five or six tournaments that can resume Eugenie's entire career.

Bouchard and Raonic deserve much respect for paving the way for the youngsters, though. Their Canadian records looked untouchable but it doesn't so unlikely now.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Eugenie hasn't been able to grow as a player and develop her game. She's still doing the exact same things she was doing in 2014, with much less success because everyone figured her out. Her career is unique in the sense that nobody had a season like her 2014's only to immediately disappear and never be a factor ever again. She looks motivated nowadays but it isn't looking good when you fight your heart out only to lose to Flipkens. There's no way she's coming back to the top 20, there's way too much players that are unbothered by her game and the competition is much tougher than it was in 2014. The younger players all hit harder than her or have more variety.

The field will find Bianca's weaknesses at some point but she can play every shot so the impact will be less significant. She plays the tennis of the future as one-dimensional players will most likely be left behind. Andreescu doesn't need a Slam final to best Bouchard as a few years in the top 10 or even top 20 would be more impressive than the five or six tournaments that can resume Eugenie's entire career.

Bouchard and Raonic deserve much respect for paving the way for the youngsters, though. Their Canadian records looked untouchable but it doesn't so unlikely now.
Yeah it's kinda strange to talk about Bouchard as a "has been" or a "veteran" or someone who "paved the way for the young players" but time does fly so fast - she's been too irrelevant on the court for such a long period of time.

But I do think she'll have some sort of a resurgence, however she won't come close to her 2014 results, that's obvious.

I remember her once saying (cca 2014/15): "I don't want to have 5 good and 5 bad seasons, I want 10 good seasons". Who'd say that it will turn out she's already passed her peak by the time she gave that statement. Indeed an unusual case.

·
Registered
113,563 Posts
Canada has young players coming fast, both ATP & WTA. Bouchard was top 5 and in a Wimbledon final and 2 other slam semis. So it might take Andreescu several more years before we can really see where her career is going.
Now I'd guess Andreescu because of recency, but young players who never made slam runs still have to keep improving and stay healthy

·
always getting what i want
17,836 Posts
Genie will always be more beloved. Except for Romanians and her clan, who's rooting for Andreescu? Such an annoying attitude.
This. It doesn't matter what Brianna achieves on the court. Genie's off-court achievements will never be matched. Genie is just prettier and more marketable. When Sports Illustrated calls, they'll always want Genie on their cover. Genie will always be Canada's sweetheart, and that's a fucking fact.

Reactions: danieln1

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
2014 was a fluke year for BouBou... literally what else has she done? Absolutely nothing. I can’t see the future, but I feel Bianca will be around for awhile. Her game flows much better, and is much prettier to watch than the hacks at the ball that BouBou possesses... they are night and day in terms of technique. I could care a less what a player looks like on court or how much they model in swimsuits on social media... but if I like their court game, it’s estetically pleasing and have a good attitude, I am all for them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think Bianca will have a better career if she can remain injury free, improve her fitness, and adapt to her opponents reading her strategy.

We also have yet to see her play on clay at the WTA level, her favored surface.

As for Eugenie, she's on a journey back to rediscover her form, accelerated play and her hunger to win.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This looks like a thread created just for bashing Genie

Reactions: GAGirl
1 - 20 of 71 Posts