Tennis Forum banner

Who should get the WTA "Coach of the Year Award" for 2019?

• Craig Tyzzer (Coach of Barty)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Sylvain Bruneau (Coach of Andreescu)

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My two Finalists would be:

Craig Tyzzer (Coach of World No 1 Ashleigh Barty)
Coached her from # 15 to # 1 winning 4 Tournaments with her: Miami, Roland Garros, Birmingham, WTA Finals. 57-12 Record in Singles per WTA from Barty.

Sylvain Bruneau (Coach of World No 5 Bianca Andreescu)
Coached her from outside the # 150s to No # 5 winning 3 Tournaments with her: Indian Wells, Rogers Cup, US Open. 48-7 Record in Singles per WTA from Andreescu.

I don't think that you can give the Award to someone other than those two BUT if you have a different opinion please post it :)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Had no idea this award existed, is this something new that started last year?

The first ever #WTA Coach of the Year award goes to the man behind Naomi Osaka 大坂なおみ's rise to US Open Tennis Championships champion!

Congrats Sascha Bajin! ��

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Bruneau clearly does not deserve the award for allowing an injured Andreescu to continue to play matches :facepalm:
Her team has done something well to help put her in winning positions; they need to do something better to keep her from injuries and putting herself in career threatening positions...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Who will get the WTA "Coach of the Year Award" 2019?

They need to drop this award altogether. I think it was a failed experiment. Players don’t stay with coaches long enough these days which makes this award very short-lived and frankly awkward.

Hopefully Bajin was the first and last ever WTA coach of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
op just made this up.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
serena barely played 8 tournaments. bianca played 11 and won 3 inclding the s open. bianca's coach wold get it off results. patrick gets it off efficiency.
And of those 11, Bianca retired from 3 of them with injury... So not really much more either, and yes won 3, but also won Newport Beach as well which was one of those 11, for a 4th event title...

So Bianca won 4 of the 8 events she didn’t retire from, and made a 5th final in her first event of the year, which she lost in 3 sets...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts