Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far there have been 10 different # 1s since the computers ranking were introduced (well 9 but they will be 10 on Monday :))

1) Chris Evert
2) Martina Navratilova
3) Tracy Austin
4) Steffi Graf
5) Monica Seles
6) Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
7) Martina Hingis
8) Lindsay Davenport
9) Jennifer Capriati
10) Venus Williams

Who will be the # 11?

Remember this not only about the ability to be # 1, but the timing of it. It has to be the next new # 1.
Monica, Arantxa, Martina, Lindsay, Jennifer and Venus don't count because they have already been # 1.

There are players that are potential # 1 but they are now too far away in the rankings, they could achieve it one day but for sure somebody will do it before them, they can be # 1 but they won't be the 11th # 1.

With that in mind, I would include only players currently in the top 10. In the top 10 we have many of those players who have already been # 1, that leaves only Kim, Justine, Jelena, Serena and Amelie.

Serena: surely has the ability to achieve it, but she faces a major hurdle, she is too injury prone, despite her promise of playing a lot in 2002, she hasn't been able to play more than 1 tournament so far.

Jelena: I think Jelena has still to introduce significant changes in her game, she has improved a lot but I think she needs to add a new dimension to her game to challenge the very top player, which you need to be # 1. I don't know if she can or will do it but it will take her some time and in the mean time, someone else could be the 11th # 1.

Amelie: she has the game, but she seems to have problems on hardcourts and grass (american hardcourts) and she needs to work on the mental side.

That leaves Kim and Justine, they both need to improve in certain areas, but I think those areas are more workable.

One of them is my choice to become the 11th # 1.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would say Kim Clijsters is the only one you have mentioned who can take the #1 position in 2002, but how serious is her arm injury. Serena Williams will become a contender in 2003 with Justine Henin just behind.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
great post subject. I think really its between kim and serena. I know that serena has been out with an injury, but if she is as serious as she says she will have to play in the fall. remember she has only one title to defend at the end of the season.

kim is in a good postion as well. if she can stay healthy and rack up a few more wins i think she can do it in 2003 or 2004.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Serena. She probably has the best or closest to the best average (points/tournaments played) of anyone out there. All she needs to do is play more, and she'll reach it.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
It's between Kim and Serena right now. Kim was only a couple of matches from it in Oz, but if Serena does play more - she missed all but RG of the clay season AND all but Munich of the indoor season last year :rolleyes: - she should be in contention too.
However, given that Venus took a couple of years since she first started dominating to get to #1 and Kim and Serena are nowhere near her level then, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get to #1 for ages. It'll be especially hard for Serena as she tends to excel on the same surfaces as Venus, but can't beat Venus on them.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,196 Posts
hantuchova or krasnoroutskaya

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Last year JCap came back from nowhere to win 2 slams and get the #1 spot in october! She was not in the top10 at the beginning of the year.... someone outside of the top10 could possibly do the same some time in the future, before Serena (who doesn't play enough) or Kim! It's not impossible.....

having said that, my pick is Serena .....she needs to be injury-free and play at least 15 tournaments though ..... but she'll get there.... and before Kim hopefully!:)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Serena will be.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Justine Henin: She has the game, and can beat the top players. I think she could take Wimby one year if someone else knocks out Venus.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey Ryan!Isn´t your statement a little contradictable?

Anyway the 11th #1 will be Serena because she has the game and the power to beat the top players.She just needs to get injury-free and to improve on the mental side!

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Maybe it was a bit contradicting. I meant that Henin can take out top players, like Capriati, but I dont think she could beat Venus on grass.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I couldnt say now really because I think Martina, Venus ,Jen and Lindsay will be dominating the spot for the next couple of years.

I think Serena is the most likely though!

Go Martina!!
Go Serena!!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I think and hoping it's going to be Kim Clijsters as she has had chances to become No.1 already and I hope she will have more chances through the year to go to the top- providing that he injury does not get any worse!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I think it will be Serena or Kim. Serena might be able to do what Venus has done, she has the talent and game. But as long as Venus is playing a lot and playing well, and Serena keeps playing part-time, it's not going to happen. Otherwise, it's Kim. She has the game and I think the mental aspects. She needs to learn how to figure out the Williamses' game and Lindsay's, and with that, she can be No. 1. She plays a lot, that will help her. You only need look at ther 18th tournament to see that. I think she has the ability to do it.

My pick is Kim!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts