Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mauresmo? she is so inconsistent! she has the ability to become a top 5 player, but on a bad day, she could lose easily to anybody!

Dokic? but she has improved a lot the past year! and with so much tournaments, i doubt that she would be out

Henin? so much points to defend in the middle of the year! will she stay? She needs a mentality boost to beat the top players!

Seles? I doubt it, she is gaining a lot of points this first quarter, as she didn't play at all this time of year last year!

or maybe someone else??? Davenport? Serena? maybe Serena or Martina???

But the bigger issue is, who has the ability to enter the top 10?? looking at the fact that there a huge gap between no 10 and 11!!

Shaughnessy? Testud? Farina? or would it be be Anna and Mary again!!

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
hmm..

out - i would say Mauresmo because she is inconsistent n that is kinda a big handicap if u wanna stay in the big 10..

in - might be Dementieva or Anna (dunno y im saying this) but she has impressed me n if she is consistent by years end u'll definitely see her in the top 10

future - Hantuchova :)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
right now I would say Amelie because she has so many points to defend till the french, I hope she proves me wrong!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't think we will see a new top10 player this year!!!!! Mauresmo is #10 sure, but so far, she has reached at least the QF of all the tournaments she played this year! That's consistency to me!!

Besides JCap at Sydney, and Dokic at tokyo, the top10 players didn't lose to anybody out of the top10. Serena doesn't really count, she was injured in her match against Shaughnessy. And in a way, JCap and Dokic' matches were their 1st match of the season, which can explain some rustyness.......So, I definitely think we have a well established top10 right now and I don't see room for a new comer, right away!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I think this is the deepest top 10 we have seen for years and all of the player can beat all the players (with some exceptions and I refuse to go into this arguement again) But there are two player who is at risk in falling out of top 10. Amelie is one she reach top 5 before French Open and rack up 4 titles in half a year, and then we all know what happen, her confidence drop. She seems to be gaining a bit confidence back but it may not be enough for her to dominate the clay court season as much as she has done last year. Another is Serena, god know when she will return, she is good most of the time but way too injury prone and if her ankle is not healed 100% by Scottsdale, she will drop a lot of points (especially since she is not defending Indian Wells) She will have a crisis just after Miami, but looking at the different between no. 10 and no.11 , she is pretty save in top 10. Amelie is the most vulnerable but if she can pull herslef together in those coming events there are no erason these top 10 will be here for a long long time

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Amelie will probably drop out of the top 10 for the 3 weeks from the end of Rome to the end of Roland Garros.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Many of the players, Mauresmo and Henin in particular, are in danger of dropping a lot of points through Wimbledon, but who is close enough to replace them in the ranking?

Shaughnessy is the only one who I think has the fortitude and the ranking proximity to make her way into it in the near future, but even she has big points to defend (finals in Scottsdale and Hamburg).

As someone mentioned, this is a very accurate Top Ten, a very deep Top Ten. I think, minus a few wavers, these ten will stay there for the rest of the year. Watch out for Hantuchova to make the first serious charge in 2003.

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
Amelie is now defending a lot of points but she will have to play very well to defend as much as possible.

Also Justine but not right now, and I think she will recover soon

But, in the other hand, there is a big difference between top 10 player and top 20, more than 500 points from Amelie:rolleyes:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Amelie,then Justine.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
btw Where are the people who were claiming that Martina would fell out of top 10 for sure before roland garros?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Yeah, you can tell that the top 10 is pretty secure when you see the year rankings and the top 7 are all from the current top 10. The only one's missing from the top 10 are Lindsay, Jelena, and Serena . Lindsay and Serena are injured but should be able to make up enough points to remain in the top 10 and Dokic just started playing her season. Farina Elia, Serra Zanetti and Kournikova are 8,9, and 10 in the year rankings, so I guess I would say Kournikova and Farina Elia have the best shots right now.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think Amelie will drop out of the top 10. Not very far out - #15 at the very lowest - but she's really not playing with much conviction at the moment. Although her match against Venus was close, so perhaps she is starting to get it together again... here's hoping!

Lindsay might, but only because of her injury. She'll be right up there again once she starts playing.

Jelena is unlikely to drop out, although her ranking will probably be a bit up and down this year because of the way she played last year. She should gain points and a couple of places now, but when she has to defend all of her autumn points she may drop those places again.

As for who could make it in again - probably Testud/Shaugnessey. I think Kounikova will make it back into the top 10 eventually, but perhaps not this year. Having said that she has virtually nothing to defend anymore and good results at a couple of slams could see her rise quite dramatically.

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
i had wanted to say amelie, but after reading so much about her fantastic match against venus and how venus praised her, i'm now inclined to think otherwise. so i will say justine

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd say Lindsay Davenport, especially if she misses the grass season (wich is possible with the seriousness of her injury). I think it will be Testud or Shaugnessy to replace her VERY BREIFLY until she comes back from injury. She will do very well and will be back into top 4 or 5 by USO.

·
stubborn procrastinator
109,920 Posts
If the top 10 changes before the RG, Amelie is the only one I see moving out of the top 10. She has a lot of points to defend, but I think she is starting to get her confidence back, and I think she will hang on to the 10th spot. Or, at least I hope so. ;) Sandrine and Meghann probably have a good chance to move into top 10, but Meghann also has quite a few points to defend. So, Sandrine probably has the best chance if she keeps playing well and stays healthy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
so far this year i think no one
gonna drop from top10 since
there's a huge gap between #10
and #11 and so few player out of
top10 can beat them
the only one exception would be
injury from serena and davenport
who know when they gonna fit
again
player in i'll go for dementieva ;)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Well for starters I don't think there is gonna be a drop, the way things are looking

Of all the Top 10, Henin is the one probably with the worst form at the moment, she can't beat a Top Ten player. But conversely she's not really losing to anyone outside the Top Ten.

Unless Dementieva, Shaughnessy or Farina Elia (Testud???) do something amazing, even with Henin not playing great tennis, I don't think she'll drop out. Even with the points she's defending at the middle of the year. At the present time I don't think those 3 have it to make that kind of gap up.

·
Banned
241 Posts
who would have thought the first to leave
is actually none other than Martina Hingis
Lindsay went and came back,
but Martina, Monica, Jelena all drop out,
replaced by Chanda, Nastya, and Daniella.
wasnt these elite 12 that we called
sometime ago....oh well...:)
now nevously anticipating new TOP 10 after US Open:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts