Tennis Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,604 Posts
I'd be also impressed if Monica won a Slam for last 6 years. I think
the current state of mental toughness of Capriati/Venus and Seles is beyond any comparison. But I am talking about three players I am not a fan of, and you are obviously biased, so I have no chance.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
wongqks - 'one dimensional' - A player who only plays one way. I believe it was Stefan Edberg who played serve-and-volley on 2nd shots on clay. Similarly, Chris Evert was a pure baseliner. SHe didn't go to net unless the opponent made her. A player with a big serve, who hits hard and flat off both sides, occassionally mixing in some topspin or slice, maybe a drop shot or two a match, rarely coming to net in a big match unless forced by a drop shot or short, slow paced shot, is not 'multi-dimensional'.

To me, being multi-dimensional is about th ability to play differnet ways, not just do different things. Venus Williams CAN play serve-and-volley. When's the last time you saw her use that regularyly in a big match? I've seen Justine Henin shift from the running game to 'stand and slam' baseline slugfest to rushing the net at every short ball in the same match. And forcing the other player to shift with her. She can play diffrent ways and she does.

I don't consider being very good at doing things one way inferior to doing many things effectively. Venus does not like to change her game plan in a match. Jenn will ( See OZ vs Grande ) Both obviously are winning GS titles doing it their own way.

I think 'Winning-Dimensional' tennis is what it's all about.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts