752 Posts
YES YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES YES
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
dh - If we define baseline play with very hard, very accurate groundstrokes as 'one dimensional', then Monica does NOT have a 'multi-dimensional' game. There's nothing you can do from the baseline that Monica can't do. But an allcourt player she's not. A serve-and-volley-er, she's not. Chip and charge? No way.

Monica only plays one way, using the definition I used in this post, anyway.

Of course, by my lights, the only two players in the top ten who can really be called 'multi-dimensional' are Justine and Martina. In crucial matches, I've seen them completely change how they play in midmatch. Not out of desperation, but simply seeking more success.
Jennifer Capriati can change, if forced. Look at her match against Grande.
Venus (Can you believe I'M writing this?) is a wannabe. She WANTS to come to the net. She will come to the net. Until the opponent actually is good enough to beat her. Then it's back to the baseline.
Kim - She's a returner. A bigger, more physical, (really hot) ASV.
Serena - She won't lose rather than attempt to change anymore, but she and Kim are so athletic they could bring the allcourt game to the 21st Century. Like that'll happen.
Amelie? Jelena? No. Put them against anyone good and it's baseline, baseline, baseline.

I'm sure 'one-dimensional' wasn't meant as a compliment in the other thread. However, the reality is most of the elite players only play one way. And if the opponent is one of the top six or seven (I'm including Monica in that group), they REALLY only play one way.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Monica: Mental toughness - fine. You don't see her double-faulting in tie-breakers, or trying dropshots from behind the baseline at critical points. Her choices are almost always good.

Monica: Stamina - Everyone's play falls off a little as fatigue sets in. The better your stamina, the less your play falls off. Monica's play does fall off a little in 2nd and 3rd sets. Notably her groundstrokes land on the baseline more. However no one goes 15-3 against Jenn, Kim, Serena, Justine, Amelie and Jelena from 2000-2 if they have stamina problems. Even in 3rd sets, Monica is better than anyone ranked outrside the top ten when they're rested.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm assuming this thread was started in response to the one called "Who else thinks Monica has a one dimensional game". It started over my frustration of seeing her lose her match against Martina H. at the AO. As one poster put it in the other thread Monica's game is about different shades of hitting the ball harder, and when she's in control of the rallies making angles. The problem with this is against Venus, Serena, Lindsay and Martina, she rarely takes control and is not allowed to play her game. Venus, Serena and Lindsay can hit just as hard if not harder than Monica plus have better serves and can put away volleys, Martina on the other hand won't always feed Monica the power she needs to play her game and mixes it up too much for her. Monica had so many opportunities to come to net to put away weak, defensive shot that Martina made and didn't, allowing Martina to stay in the match and eventually win it.

As I stated in the other thread, unless and until another player clears the field of those four players for Monica, she'll probably never, ever win another Grand Slam. And this is someone who is actually a fan on Monica's.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
You know what me and fellow selestials gonna say

YOU DO NOT WIN 9 GRANDSLAM FOR JUST BEING ONE DIMENSIONAL

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
wongqks - Chirs Evert won EIGHTEEN GS singles titles being one-dimensional.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Volcana,

It very much depends how you define multidimensional and who you are comparing with. I think I read it somewhere and I think that poster is right, Monica and Lindsay are probably a better althlete than 99% of the population. Monica game is more than just hitting groundstrokes side to side, there are more mental, and who to say that Monica never go into the net, yeah she is not comfortable there as maybe a Martina or Anna, but she got her job done a lot of times I see recently, Monica slice as much as a Venus or a Lindsay.

But good point about Chris though, although even that I do not believe she is one dimensional, so please define first and then I will see whether I can agree with you :)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,604 Posts
mental toughness... Well, I think there are currently two players this definition could be applicable, and that's Venus and Capriati.
Seles had an obvious mental meltdown in the middle of AO semifinal - she won only 2 games out of 13 at that stretch, and it was clear that she is frustrated, she lost focus, mentally tough players don't do that. She was in good form, both physically and gamewise, Hingis just managed to frustrate and unsettle her. Seles used to incredibly tough mentally. But now she is mere mortal.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
isnt it weird that in the early 90's, Monica did to Steffi what no one else could (dominate her and beat her at her own game, Monica utilized the net to beat Steffi, too) And nowadays, Seles is in the same position as Steffi was. Except Monica is losing to more than one player these days.

I think Monica needs to reevaluate her game just a little bit. Her old game plan doesnt work anymore because it is well known. She had so much success with it in the past. Plus, the new girls do it better. Seles could DEFINITELY stay right up there with them. For the most part, she is up there with them. She can hang with the big girls for a set or two.

Hopefull with her new coach, it looks like Seles can do something!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I certainly do!:) :D :bounce:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't disagree that Monica's baseline strategy hasn't been successful in the past (with 9 Grand Slam wins), what I am simply trying to say is if she wants to win another Grand Slam she's gotta adjust her game and I still hold to my original belief that her game is one dimensional. When Monica's game plan of just hitting the ball from side to side fails her (see AO against Hingis) she has no plan B, she can't mix it up. Monica's whole game plan is to hit the ball hard and deep and try and work the angles. While this may have been a unique concept that worked well ten or twelve years ago, the top players (Venus, Serena, Lindsay and Martina) know how to counter this and make Monica play their game. Anyone who saw Monica play Martina at the AO this year would have to agree that if Monica had the least bit of confidence in her ability to volley and ability to come to the net and do so, she would have won that match plain and simple. Knowing how to volley is only half the battle, knowing when to attack the net and do so is another. Monica can't volley like the rest of the top players and won't attempt to do so when it's the best thing to do. All those players that I have mentioned know how and when to volley and that's the reason why they own Monica.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A few people have mentioned Monica getting frustrated and having a bad stretch against Martina at AO. Ys mentioned Venus and Jen as mentally strong players. Venus and Jen have the same kind of meltdowns, anyone who thinks they don't is kidding themself. Every player on tour does. The mentally strong ones, like Monica, have them less often than others.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,604 Posts
Venus lost one match since last July. Capriati lost two matches in last 5 Slams. They do have those bad stretches, but if they are healthy, they won't have match-losing bad stretches. That's the difference.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Explain Jen losing to Venus after 8 match points. There has to be a mental aspect there.

Explain Venus getting humiliated by Martina at AO. Clearly, her frame of mind was not ideal.

It happens to everyone, period.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yeah, Monica rules!

But I dont agree very much with the stamina thing. Yeah, she is a BIG fighter, but after some big time of play player's performance usually fall and Monica looks very affected for me.

She is multidimensional because she can do everything she wants with the ball, unless volleying, that's really her weakness, but her angles, depth and pace, i've never seen anything like that. Even men playing. I was watching today her VT against Marti on Tokyo... this is one of the best matches I've seen the past months... just amazing.. I'm even more impressed with Marti.

Im a great Monn fan and I THINK SHE HAS A MULTIDIMENSIONAL GAME, AVERAGE STAMINA AND GOOD MENTAL TOUGHNESS!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,604 Posts
Jen losing to Venus? #2 in mental toughness department lost to #1 in that department. Venus 1 and 1 to Hingis? It was not a bad streak - it was a bad match, she was not in good shape at that moment, everyone knows that.. Mental toughness is not about not playing bad matches when you are not in shape, mental toughness is about winning the biggest possible percentage of winnable matches againt quality opponents.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Kudos to Venus for only losing 1 match since July. I'd be more impressed if she wasn't 1-1 against top 10 players in her 9 matches since September 9.

As for Jen's impressive Slam record, I'd be even more impressed if she had won any of the 9 events she played between last years RG and this years AO.

It happens to everyone, ys. There are no genetic mutants out there who are immune to this.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts