Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mean to nag,but i'm curious.How did she pick up that Bizarre toss?Why didn't anyone do anything about it when she was younger?

She'd have a bunch of slams by now if they had.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
probably someone with eyes in the back of their head.

·
Banned
6,444 Posts
tennisrox said:
Don't mean to nag,but i'm curious.How did she pick up that Bizarre toss?Why didn't anyone do anything about it when she was younger?

She'd have a bunch of slams by now if they had.
Her odd service motion and technique is largely due to repetitive shoulder injuries throughout her career.

While it is the worst service motion and technique I've seen in women's tennis, its not entirely her or her coaches fault.

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
a lot of people know that how bad her serve is but she just not good at it
and some people just can't do better

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MarJenAll20 said:
Her odd service motion and technique is largely due to repetitive shoulder injuries throughout her career.

While it is the worst service motion and technique I've seen in women's tennis, its not entirely her or her coaches fault.
That is very sad.How did she serve as a youngster?Was it ever better than this?Did the flawed technique lead to the shoulder injuries,or is the flawed technique a result of the injuries?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
MarJenAll20 said:

didn't know that...

·
Banned
32 Posts
some people cant serve

i cant serve at all. i've always had a weird serve and i CAN'T change it no matter what

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dunno, I think she might actually be able to fix it.

I used to serve like Elena (and I mean exactly like her) but my coach changed the way I stand and the ball toss, and now my serve is more consistent. It took a bit of work (i.e. an hour in the pouring rain) but I got there, and if Kimmi No-Serve can get there, Elena can too :)

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
She didnt always have the same serves motion.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Yeah thats what I read too..She altered her serve motion eventually because of nagging shoulder injury...And now that shes okay with her shoulder its hard to change the habit as its become more mental now..(the similar thing is happening to coria on ATP.. he is spraying tons of DFs too)But apparantly she had a nice serve at the beginning which gives us hope that eventually she might be able to serve well consistently

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
What you mean, "taught"? :p

Seriously, if you check out some of her old matches (I've got a clip from Chase 2000), she doesn't toss the ball like that, it's a later addition. It doesn't really matter, her old 2nd serve was still soft & produced lots of DF's.

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
so richard has been helping he with savage garden in the background? ;)

yeah, richard helped out if she'd play doubles with misa
but that didn't happen much

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
What I heard is that she altered her service motion temporarily because of the injuries, but now she cannot break the habit of the temporary motion. It is either Shriver or Fernandez who has said that several times. That she can now serve the way she did pre-injury, but the other service motion has become a habit that is hard to break.

·
Registered
14,378 Posts
i heard when she was injured she had to serve this way or something now she is used to it.. im not sure something like this i heard a commentator say it once.. sorry if im wrong.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
She's back to a normal serving motion now, the problem is that she now has two first serves, and that simply will not do. I was a fan of the sliced second serve, btw. Hardly anyone could attack it, but you can't always get what you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts