Tennis Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
So is Thomas now official?
During Stuttgart time she said they were taking it "week by week" together, implying it was temporary and potentially permanent, and were seeing how things would go.

Now that she's made QF-SF of the two big clay warmups, played her best tennis since the comeback, hit with cleaner technique and had her belief and confidence renewed, I think it's safe to say it'll be permanent.

Of course, you never know with Maria - but I would seriously question her decision to get rid of him given all he brings to her game and has brought back already, and even though they are at their peak effectiveness on clay together she still achieved fantastic results on hard and grass with him.

So to answer your question directly, I would say so yes. Oh and as a side note, has anyone else noticed how Thomas seems happier than ever to be in Maria's box? Before, they seemed to get on okay but it's hardly like they were good pals. Now it seems like they get on better than before. I wonder if Thomas read what Maria wrote about him in her book :eek:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Maria basically said that they're getting on better now than they did before and understand each other more, so between that and the results improvement I think he'll be here to stay.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
During Stuttgart time she said they were taking it "week by week" together, implying it was temporary and potentially permanent, and were seeing how things would go.

Now that she's made QF-SF of the two big clay warmups, played her best tennis since the comeback, hit with cleaner technique and had her belief and confidence renewed, I think it's safe to say it'll be permanent.

Of course, you never know with Maria - but I would seriously question her decision to get rid of him given all he brings to her game and has brought back already, and even though they are at their peak effectiveness on clay together she still achieved fantastic results on hard and grass with him.

So to answer your question directly, I would say so yes. Oh and as a side note, has anyone else noticed how Thomas seems happier than ever to be in Maria's box? Before, they seemed to get on okay but it's hardly like they were good pals. Now it seems like they get on better than before. I wonder if Thomas read what Maria wrote about him in her book :eek:
I'm sure they had a frank discussion before getting back together about things they felt didn't work last time/would like to change going forward. But also there was that interview Hoggy gave where he talked about how coaching her was the most rewarding relationship he had with a player and her work ethic. I think it was while he was coaching Woz or maybe just after. He said it was very hard to not have that kind of commitment on the court anymore, he did actually sound very sad so he's probably elated to be back in her corner given his recent coaching stints.

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
I'm sure they had a frank discussion before getting back together about things they felt didn't work last time/would like to change going forward. But also there was that interview Hoggy gave where he talked about how coaching her was the most rewarding relationship he had with a player and her work ethic. I think it was while he was coaching Woz or maybe just after. He said it was very hard to not have that kind of commitment on the court anymore, he did actually sound very sad so he's probably elated to be back in her corner given his recent coaching stints.
Agreed. I'm so glad it's working out - I always thought he was the best coach she ever had. While I hoped she would return to him, I didn't think it would actually happen, so I'm really glad it's working out well again now. :)

61 - 64 of 64 Posts