Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really interested in this subject. Who do you think could really do an outstanding job with her at this point in her career???

Martina Navratilova
Chris Evert
Andre Agassi
Steffi Graf
Connors or McEnroe
Go back to her father?
Kim Clijsters
Justine Henin

He could afford them all

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m throwing out names just to throw them out there. No I don’t think any of them would take the job but she needs to do something drastic to change her game before it’s too late. It is sad to see her unseeded and losing early. However when she first came back on the tour she started to look like she was really ready to play. Now injuries, losses, no coach and her game looks really bad

·
Registered
813 Posts
She is better suited for male coach. I have noticed a condescending attitude towards her previous coaches and not everyone will take that.

In any case, her motivation for tennis seems quite low at the moment, impossible for a coach to light up that inner fire.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
She is better suited for male coach. I have noticed a condescending attitude towards her previous coaches and not everyone will take that.

In any case, her motivation for tennis seems quite low at the moment, impossible for a coach to light up that inner fire.
She can be coachless. She already has a former player as a hitting partner, she can ask for advice to him too. Having a coach that demands lots from you when you are not into it that much anymore can only end in disaster.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
About her father as a coach: Michael Joyce once said Yuri was only her coach in name, the real coaches were Lansdorp and MJ himself. Yuri's virtue was that he never obstructed the real coaches' work. I have no reason to doubt MJ's description of Yuri's role.

Navratilova was once coaching A Rad, not long before they parted ways because Martina "could not commit 100% to the project then it was not going to work". She never intended to be a full time coach and was very satisfied to be a commentator on TV and twitter.

Pova can't be coachless, because she doesn't have a plan to improve or adjust her game, oncourt or offcourt. She needs someone to make plans for her. The reason why Connors was fired after only 1 match was exactly that, as she wrote in her autobiography, he couldn't do that: "There was no structure, no thought-out plan for the practice, no particular drills or things we would work on. I would hit in the center of the court for hours at a time. No patterns, nothing."

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
About her father as a coach: Michael Joyce once said Yuri was only her coach in name, the real coaches were Lansdorp and MJ himself. Yuri's virtue was that he never obstructed the real coaches' work. I have no reason to doubt MJ's description of Yuri's role.
Well, I remember years ago Maria once said that she and her dad laughed out loud everytime they heard someone said that he was her coach, because he wasn't.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
In the same time, which potential coach would like to work with Maria with all the uncertainity caused by her forearm? Even if she/he is deeply interested to work with her. Just asking.
She shouldn't go for a big name. When it's a big name, it's also about them too because they feel more than " peasant" coaches.
And in pova's case right now is not good because she needs 110% attention. She should be treated like people treat their I-phone: with care, maximum attention, like a gift from god.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts