2. Barbora Krejčíková
  3. Elina Svitolina
  4. Alizé Cornet
  5. Markéta Vondroušová

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Ash Barty is the one that first leapt to mind. Badosa shows promise, but too early to tell. Seems like this should have a poll.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not lately.
That might be true. But generally... she reminded me always of a professional poker player... because she was the one player who always played her opponent. She was playing to their weaknesses. Same as Martina Hingis always did.

She is a player who always exploited the weaknesses of her opponents. And she was able to adapt different tactics within a match.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
That might be true. But generally... she reminded me always of a professional poker player... because she was the one player who always played her opponent. She was playing to their weaknesses. Same as Martina Hingis always did.

She is a player who always exploited the weaknesses of her opponents. And she was able to adapt different tactics within a match.
She's got the ability, and I'm sure she'll find her groove again.

Reactions: andreescufan

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
AZARENKA is up there. And BADOSA is very underrated, as others have said.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Barty, Serena and Muchova play patient smart tennis, they can all pull the trigger early but tend to bide their time and use angles to construct points much more than the vast majority of the WTA

Reactions: Shifty-Eyed Dog

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Kenin used to play smart before she went the Keys BBB route.

Obviously agree with Barty suggestions ;) Serena is up there for sure, you can't win how much Serena has won without being very astute tactically.

Mertens deserves a shoutout!
Is Pliskova good tactically?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most threads like this end up listing players with variety as smart and power players as not so smart.
Yeah, I think there’s this weird conflating of “artsy,” “quirky” games with being smart ones. When I think of a smart player I think of someone who can make adjustments, read their opponent and the match and make the right shot selections to pull off a win. Someone like Muchova has a lot of shots and can be flashy, but she also has weird shot selection choices which take her out of matches. I also don’t think having a defensive game that you basically play against every opponent no matter the score or how your opponent is playing is all that smart, so I don’t get why a player like Svitolina would be mentioned.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts